1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

http://iamdoubtingthomas.wordpress.com/

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bro. Williams, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

2. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear Bro. your friend puts out his plea and then closes the blog to replies so you can't talk to him directly. Evidence that Demmands a Verdict or More than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell come to mind or some books by Lee Stroebel. Get him some good books on apologetics as well as help him with fellowship, pray and have Bible study time with him. It sounds like your friend is hurting and in need of a friend.:godisgood:

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with POB that he needs a friend right now. Here are some suggestions and depending on the type of person he is, they may or may not be appropriate.

Listen
    I think he needs a friend who listens rather than one who tries to change his mind. He needs a friend who listens even if he suggests things that may be wrong, shocking and even unbiblical. That doesn't mean you agree with him but that you understand that it is a difficult time for him and that you will be with him in this time of struggle.

In the short term, there are two things in his post that he says he needs.

Share the fact that other Christians also struggle with doubts.
    Share some of the doubts you may have had in the past. Not necessarily how you got over them but the fact you had them.

Share about biblical men with doubts, particularly King David in his many Psalms of disorientation, Job with this struggle to understand God and even Christ on the cross with his cry of "Eloi, Eloi lama sabachthani".

Share about any stories of "Christian heroes" who have had their share of doubts. The only name who come to mind for me right now is C.S. Lewis.

Ask him to reflect on how God has been real in his life
    He struggles with how knowledge of God and truth is so dependent on the Bible and at times circular. Remind him that God not only gave him a book but also a Counsellor and Helper. How has that Counsellor revealed himself in his life? He might need the help of an outside perspective of someone close to him for this. Someone to help him recall God's goodness in key moments in his life.

In the long term, he needs a safe place to work out his struggles and doubts. His faith may change as a result of the struggle. But if it remains afterward, I believe it will be stronger than before. Apologetics books like the ones POB recommended may be suitable at this point, but I would not recommend them right away.

I probably don't need to tell you to pray throughout the process. I hope this gives you some ideas to work from.

#4 Gold Dragon, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We have a registered "Doubting Thomas" member on our board who can only post in the non-Baptist forums. It wouldn't surprise me if it is the same person.
    DT, as he is appbreviated has been a member since January, 2003; he is #31, one of the earliest members on the board. His posts seem to be very much pro-Catholc, and as his name-sakes portrays he is confused on many issues. But he has been here long enough to know the truth. If he has rejected the truth after being here all these years he has no one to blame but himself.

BTW, he seems to be very well versed in the Bible, especially when taking the opposite side of views such as OSAS.
    I for one, do not feel sorry for this individual if indeed he is the same individual. I have debated him many times, and find only a rejection of the truth of God, with no willingness to come to any acknowledgement of the truth.
    Just my two cents worth.

#5 DHK, Oct 28, 2007
  6. Joe

Joe New Member

Just your 2 cents worth? Sounds about right :tear:
    He may be mentally ill :confused:

#6 Joe, Oct 28, 2007
  7. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would say he doesn't sound anything like the Doubting Thomas on this board. For one thing, I believe Doubting Thomas here supports or is open to evolution.

Bro. William's friend sounds to me like a fairly typical fundamentalist or conservative evangelical who is unhappy with the "Sunday School" type answers that he has been taught over the years to simply accept and not challenge. The faulty oversimplistic paradigms that have been set up in his mind are having trouble reconcilling with what he knows is truth and holding up against more sophisticated challenges.

The Doubting Thomas on this board is nothing like that.

Whether the blogger is the Doubting Thomas on this board or not, I find your response to be completely lacking in the grace and compassion that is characteristic of our common Lord. How does such a thing happen in a person's heart?

#7 Gold Dragon, Oct 28, 2007
  8. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I appreciate the comments and postings. A couple of things in response...

1) I am near positive that he would not be the Doubting Thomas DHK mentioned.

2) I will check on his comments thing... I thought I had left one under the main entry spot, but I will check.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I can't make a comment---good or bad---since my besafelonline internet filter blocked the web page

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Upon reflection I don't think that this thread is that beneficial.
    First, one can search the www and find hundreds of such people in despair. The purpose of this board is not to discuss the situations of such individuals, but rather if you believe you can help (when you see such a blog), then email him and encourage him. Bringing one's blog address into this forum (if he should see it) could prove to be quite embarassing. It is a form of gossip--internet gossip. Read some of the things that shouldn't have been said.

Second, whether this person is the said DT on the board or not, it really doesn't matter. Here are the facts:
    1. He says that he is saved.
    2. He says that he does not believe in evolution.
    3. He says that since he was saved he has grown and he has been strengthened in the Lord.

Now, since then he has had some doubts and discouragement, and that is what he has posted on his blog. It is nothing unusual for any Christian to go through such valleys as this. He needs some encouragement from some Christian friends (which he probably has). He could and should go to his pastor. He probably has a multitude of answers or options at his fingertips.
    It is the Lord that sends tribulations.
    He knows them that are his.
    1Cor.10:13 teaches us that he will never give us a trial that we will never be able to bear. God is always faithful.

A blog, as far as I know it, is an internet diary. Why am I reading someone else's diary that expresses their deepest thoughts, and why has this somebody chosen to air those thoughts on the web? I don't know. I come from a different generation, I guess.

11. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK, I suggest you take your own advice and not read this thread any longer.

Your attitude towards those who suffer and struggle with faith and reach out to brothers and sister in Christ for help disgusts me.