1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Huckabee's Calling

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Maybe I am out of line with this question. Or maybe I have a point.

But if Huckabee is an ordained Baptist minister, why is he out of the pulpit and in politics? Was he truely called?

What would you think if your Pastor announced that he was leaving the pulpit to run for political office?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1007/6334.html

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The God we serve is a big God. If He wants to call a Christian into politics (where they are disparately needed!!) He can do that. He's God. He makes the calls. We simply go where He sends.

I have no problem with Huckabee being called to another place of service to God. I would have a problem if God called him to do it and He said no.

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Its not a Christian going into politics that is the problem. Why would he leave a higher calling for a lower one? I have never heard him say that God called him out of the pulpit and told him to go into politics. Any sources?

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Do we know any of the facts surrounding why he left his position as pastor of his church? Do you ask the same question about anyone who was once a pastor but currently is working at something else?

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Who is it to say that he is leaving a higher calling to go to a lower one? Is a pastor the highest calling God can make? I don't think so. I think God can use people in many ways, and sometimes that way may change.

Nothing is to say God has or hasn't called him to run. Nothing is to say that after winning, even for two terms, he couldn't come back to the pulpit with a better understanding of what God's children in American need to hear from the Word.

I don't think the question is out of line per sec, but the thought that running for a political office is a "lower calling" then one of being a Pastor if God has indeed called him to run. This thought isn't a good one I don't think.

A calling from God, no mater how little of insingfincant<sp> we might think it is, is still that... A calling from God. Now the question to ask him is was he or does he think he was called by God to run for office.

Also, in the bigger scheme of things, do you think maybe God did call him, knowing he would lose, but as long as he was in the race he could bring issues to the front to help make this country more aware? Maybe that is the grand plan... Run to make people more aware and lose, and then go back to being a Pastor, his orginal calling?

I don't know.. just thinking out loud..

Jamie

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The highest calling you can have is the one that God initiates, whether it's a janitor, stay-at-home-mom, or a president.

After all, Joseph's calling for a period of time was a jail-bird!

Isaiah 55:9

As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

7. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You beat me to it!

Any calling of God is a high calling! My calling to preach is no higher of no more important than my wife's calling to stay home and raise kids.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I would think that God may have different wills for different periods of people's lives. God's will for my life, what He wants me to be doing, at 25 will be different than what it maybe at 75. It could be that God called Huckabee to the pastoral ministry for a period of time and now has called him to a political/public ministry (of sorts). At the end of the day, however, only God and Huckabee know the truth. Therefore, unless Huckabee is clearly violating Scripture, we should not judge this situation (1Cor 4:5).

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't know that the pastoral ministry is a "higher calling" (defined as a better calling). Certainly it carries a lot of responsibility, but I don't know that it is "higher" than any other calling God may give. In fact I would think that the call to salvation is "higher" and then the call to discipleship (submission to do whatever God calls one to do). God puts His people in every area of life. Some are pastors, missionaries, teachers, lawyers, doctors, house wives, business people, store clerks, trash men, etc, etc. The issue is not where God has placed them as much as how faithful a person is where God has placed them. See Matt 25:14-30, 1Cor 7:17-24, etc.

Since I believe in the priesthood of the believer, I believe that every calling of God is a "high" calling. God does not have important children and then less important children. This is why the Apostle John put himself on the same level as his Christian readers in Revelation 1:9.

#9 Martin, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2007
  10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Very well said.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Any calling of God is a higher calling, but name one that is lower than politician.

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Pastor that God has NOT called!

Seriously, I DO see your point!:thumbs::laugh:

13. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Any job into the world of politics seems like a step down, lol.
    Honestly though, that seems like something that is between him and God. We also have a couple of State senators here in Arkansas who are ordained ministers, one who recently ran for state wide office retired from the pastorate to go into politics.

14. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that any of God's callings are "low"? Be careful.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An excellent question. Maybe he wasn't.

16. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't this how rumors get started?

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not a rumor that Huckabee left the ministry.

18. SBCPreacher

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But to cast doubt on his calling could sure be the start of one.

19. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Here is an excerpt from Mike Huckabee's book called Character Makes a Difference

Although he saw his venture into politics as God's will, many of his fellow believers, he remembers, were appalled. "How can you call yourself a Christian when you don't even realize that you are lowering yourself to a position below your calling?" asked one angry letter. "It's pointless to gripe about how bad the government is and how terrible the laws are if people who have better ideas are not willing to share them and get involved," Huckabee writes. "Christians need to pull on their hip boots and wade into the swamp of social and moral issues." (p. 47-53, 117)

So it would appear that Mike does feel the call from God to get into Politics to help clean it up. Are we now to question his calling? I for one think he is a better choice than many of the current runners.

Jamie

20. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Those who do not like Huckabee will do anything they can to discredit him, including casting doubt on his calling from God. Quite sad if you ask me.