1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Human animal gene mixing

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Born Again Catholic, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Born Again Catholic

Born Again Catholic New Member

I recently read an article about scientist potentially being able to mix the genes of animals and humans. Where you could wind up with animals that have more human attributes (i.e. hands, humanlike faces, more intelligence etc), that would make the animals more useful or loveable. (and they can do this without the destruction of any human embryos)

The Bible doesn't address gene splicing and mixing in any detail. How should a christian decide if such actions would be immoral, can we ever know for sure?

If anyone thinks this would be a sinful action could they tell me why from scripture.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

First we need a legal/scientific definition of "human" else we generate a new kind of civil rights problem. One of the origional "American" arguments for enslaving black people was that they were not fully human. Could a sentient but not "human" species be developed for servants?

3. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

How about human cloning? If it was only done on one cell at a time so the excess were not discarded, would the Bible forbid that?

Bible verses only, please.

4. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Born Again Catholic asks,

The Bible doesn't address gene splicing and mixing in any detail. How should a christian decide if such actions would be immoral, can we ever know for sure?

Seth3 replies,

Well unless your the one doing it its hard to decide for another who might not share your convictions we all have to be convinced in our own minds over what we believe on certain things the scriptures don't adress. Faith in Christs ability in you to make those decisions about things.

Born Again Catholic says,

If anyone thinks this would be a sinful action could they tell me why from scripture.

Seth3 replies

I'm sure if we believe the best in people even in the science industry who are accountable to laws etc that they are doing this for the right reasons. If not they must give account for their actions and consequences of those actions. We could filled the board with questions of what is sin but it shows we are simply more conscious of Sin then Christ in us.Stuff like this yeilds more questions then faith. If God felt it important would He have written it in stone or in your heart? Listen to your heart concerning your own convictions. Someone elses convictions might not be yours and visa versa- Theres so much liberty in that. Especially knowing we can trust that His word is in our hearts and we can by faith decide on things that are not written down in stone you know?

God Bless

Seth3

5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "...the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ". (1 Cor 2:14-16)

Are you born again? Then you have the mind of Christ and the Spirit of Christ to judge the matter.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." (Jas 1:5)

Ask the Lord in humble prayer about this issue and He will convict you on the topic. Then you can make a spiritual judgment on the matter.

What would Jesus do? Do you think He would mix animals with humans? ........... Do you think???

Do you think He would clone humans?? Why would He when He provided procreation through one man with one woman?

If you have the Spirit, then spiritually discern these matters.

God Bless! [​IMG]

6. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

An individual created with a human intelligence but with a mismatched genetic structure could theoretically live a very uncomfortable life and be aware of it as a human is aware - surely something to be avoided!

7. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Your answer sounds good in theory, but how do you know when it is correct spiritual discernment and when it is just the desire of your sin nature?

I have seen instances of born again Christians claiming something was from God to justify sin.

What is your standard where the Bible is silent? Many on this board will say that where the Bible is silent, it is a matter of "personal preference".

8. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    trying ask...

""What is your standard where the Bible is silent? Many on this board will say that where the Bible is silent, it is a matter of "personal preference"".

Is the bible really silent on these issues? The Word gives us a clear definition of God's character. How He views life, how He created everything, how He set all things in perfect order, what the effects of sin has done to His once perfect creation, and so on.

God also declares that He gives His children the Holy Spirit to guide the heart into Truth. We also are given the mind of Christ. To carry the name Christian is to carry the character of Christ.

Would Jesus, the Creator of all things, mix human genes with animal genes? If He wouldn't, then we won't and will not condone it either. And if you think that He might, then you better pray over 2 Cor 13:5.....

"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is IN YOU, except ye be reprobates?"

If Christ be in you, your chracter will come in line with His. God is not in the gene mixing business nor in the cloning business according to the Scriptures. God never done these things. Why should we?

I do not believe the bible is silent on this issue. We know the character of God and we know that He would not perform any such abominations. He created every living thing, each with an individual set of genes for it's kind. God set in order procreation. The order of things has been set by God.

The bible is not silent on this at all. The Holy Spirit is not silent. It is people with carnal minds who have themselves making "personal preferences" rather than searching the Scriptures and seeking after the Lord.

God Bless!

9. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

God created man in His image. Do any of us have any animal genes in our DNA?

10. billwald

billwald New Member

90% or so of our DNA is common to animals and plants.

The chimps at Central Washington University communicate with ASL and seem to be self-aware.

11. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

90% is not 100%.

12. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

That TENTH PART might cause one to wonder...

God bless

Seth3

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

God created animals after their own kind to reproduce after their own kind, He created man in His own image. After each of these creations God say they were good. Why would anyone not think it was wrong to try and mix these two seperate creations? Wouldn't this be a form of playing God, thinking man can do it better and make improvements on God's creations that He decared good?
    We read the bible thats how. That should be a given for any situation.

14. freakpastor

freakpastor New Member

LOL!!! You people really crack me up!!!

15. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Yes I bet they do to YOU "PASTOR", and how have YOU added anything to any discussion I've seen only your name (not your contribution).

I think I agree with the "first part" of your screen name title, I think it says it all, because thus far you haven't earned the honor.

God Bless

Seth3

16. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Why would a pastor be so ugly to another poster?

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Gene splicing in general is not evil. In fact, we have new kinds of grains and fruits because of gene splicing.

Now, as far as the human, if it delves into the realm of human cloning (that is, creating a full human being from a host), then I draw the line against it. However, if gene splicing were to be a tool in cloning or replacing body parts, then I have no problem with it. Early research in animals will likely lead to one day being able to clone human organs and tissues. For example, taking donor cells from a person with kidney failure, and cloning new kidneys for that person. Or, can you imagine being able to treat diabetes by cloning a person's pancreas? Or replace a defective heart with a healthy one?
    All of us have animal genes in our dna.

When scripture says we're created in His image, it's not referring to our physical form. It's referring to us having "a living soul".
    That wasn't the question. The question was whether we have any animal genes in our DNA. The answer is "yes" a great amoung of our own DNA scructure is found in non-human animal life forms. In fact, in some cases, our scrupture is so somilar that we can use animal parts to replace our own. Pig heart valves are commonly used in heart valve replacement surgeries, and they're very successful.

But all that is irrelevant to the "in His image" issue, since "in His image" does not refer to our physical form, but our spiritual form.

18. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Mixing animal and human genes is wrong. It says in the Bible beastiality is wrong. Just because they are doing it in a test tube does NOT make it anymore right.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sorry, but equating sex with animals to splicing of animals genes is way off.

In order for your contention to hold water, you'd also have to be against using medical products derived from animals, such as the aforementioned pig heart valves.

20. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

No I would not. Putting animal and human genes together is wrong!