1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Human Life Constitutional Amendment.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by church mouse guy, Oct 18, 2007.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, the idea is the work of Ronald Reagan. It is being kept in the GOP platform by Phyllis Schafly and the Republican National Coalition For Life.

http://www.rnclife.org/

The problem with any other solution is that it is easy to repeal or it is easy to undo. Allowing the states to make a decision would mean that abortion would remain legal in a liberal state, for example, and women would merely go to the liberal state, which would mean that the rate of abortion would remain high. So it is all or nothing.

The majority of Republicans support this Reagan plank calling for a human life amendment to the US Constitution. A minority such as the libertarians is 100% opposed to the idea. If people like Ron Paul and Michael Peroutka tried to overthrow, or even merely water down, this long-standing plank of the GOP platform, they probably would fall victim in a floor-fight to Phyllis Schafly at the GOP convention. Certainly, the destruction of the plank would cost the GOP the election because of the division of the party in half.

Note that the Republican National Coalition For Life says, "The Republican Party was founded on the principle that no human being should be considered the property of another."

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a real shame, cmg, that you don't value the hundreds of thousands of babies that would be saved each year if states were able to ban abortion while we work on passing a human life amendment.

But yours is the typical Republican position, which is desiring to have the issue for political purposes instead of trying to find effective solutions.

3. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Pro-choicer Rudy Giuliani, ironically, is the leading candidate. I take it in your fury of righteous indignation you "forgot" to criticize the single most prominent Republican candidate's views and instead chastised Paul (polling 0% nationally) for legal methodology. :rolleyes: Now that's standing firm!

Btw, other candidates that wouldn't philosophically qualify are 1) Mitt Romney and 2) The Other Mitt Romney

#23 Ivon Denosovich, Oct 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2007
  4. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Saying that Ron Paul would probably fall in a floor-fight is chastising him? You're seeing something there that I didn't. And the whole idea of turning the issue over to the states is wonderful, except that every time a state has tried to restrict abortion in any way over the last 20 years, it's been overturned by the courts.

5. Ivon Denosovich

So be it. It appeared, when combined with repeated posts on pages one and two, to be pejorative towards Paul (polling 0%) while ignoring the leading Republican candidate. The glaring omission still stands.

6. Ivon Denosovich

church mouse guy then claiming a prochoicer would win and now claiming the opposite:

Searh Forums turned up this gem with a thumbs up sign of approval from yours truly: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=37748&highlight=paul

With fawning to boot:

(Bolding mine.) In light of the OP and incessant Paul (polling 0%) bashing; very, very amusing. Evidently, Paul's (polling 0%) crime against God and man is not being a popular enough pro-choicer for church mouse guy.

#26 Ivon Denosovich, Oct 20, 2007
  7. Ivon Denosovich

I love Searh Forum!

(Bolding mine.) Quite an endorsement! Oh, well, at least he's bravely willing to stand up to Paul (polling 0%) claiming Paul (polling 0%) and lbtns are a "materialists and modernist and post-modernists."

Thread here

#27 Ivon Denosovich, Oct 20, 2007
  8. Ivon Denosovich

Also from Search Forum

Compared with this defense of Giuliani on abortion, gay rights, and gun control:

In other words, when Paul dissents with the GOP, it's bad. When Giuliani dissents he doesn't really mean it and should be given the benefit of the doubt.

9. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yeah, search forum is a good thing. But you know, it just looks like advocating for his candidate and contrasting positions to me.

Now me, I never take that stuff personally. Except for the times when I do :smilewinkgrin:

10. Ivon Denosovich

It looks to me like bashing Paul for abortion after starting a thread called, "Rudy For president!"

11. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

cmg is not saying don't fight at state levels, but correctly recognizing the obviously best solution rests at the federal level.

Truly great post cmg. :applause: God bless Phyllis Schafly.

12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Having abortion at the state level will not save any lives. Those who want abortions will be glad to run to states that do allow them. Nothing will change.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why Ron Paul calls for overturning Roe v. Wade and then restricting the federal courts from involving themselves in the issue.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That qualifies as one of the most ignorant statements ever posted in this forum in the 5.5 years that I have been posting on this board.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why is cmg railing against the idea, hillclimber1? Usually someone does not rail so adamantly against something that he is in favor of.

16. 2 Timothy2:1-4

fair enough. your entitled to your opinion. But at the same time thinking that sending abortion to the state level is a fools endeavor.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have to admit that it would be more easily done than passing a human life amendment. If simply allowing the states to decide the matter can't be accomplished, then getting a human life amendment added to the U.S. constitution is certainly out of reach.

18. 2 Timothy2:1-4

That is the other falsenotion. Where is the evidence that it would be easier? Where is the national support and the congressionl support for this? I see no evidence that this is true.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who understands politics in these United States knows that amending the U.S. constitution is the hardest task in our political set up. That is why it has happened so rarely in our history.

I take it you aren't big on United States history.

20. 2 Timothy2:1-4

And I am glad it is that way however I do not see getting rid of federalism any easier. Again I see no mainline support for it.