1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Humor of a Hero

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Dec 5, 2008.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

This is Oliver North's column today at Human Events. It is about U.S. Marine Lieutenant Andrew Kinard, this year's recipient of the Freedom Alliance's "Defender of Freedom" award. It will be presented Saturday at the Army-Navy game.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=29781

From the link:

On October 29, 2006, Lieutenant Kinard was leading his Marines on a foot patrol in Rawah, Iraq -- searching for a terrorist bomb factory -- when a command-detonated IED exploded directly next to his left leg. The blast blew him into the air -- and he landed almost 20 feet from the crater.

In April 2007 he flew to Camp Lejeune, N.C. to meet his Marines when they returned from Iraq. Wearing his Marine utility uniform for the first time since being wounded, he greeted his comrades in a special “all-terrain” wheelchair.

On October 29, 2007, exactly a year after he was wounded, the indomitable young officer came home. Dignitaries and thousands of well wishers were on hand to welcome Andrew at First Baptist Church, Spartanburg. The following Sunday he spoke at all three services -- thanking all for their unfailing prayers.

His recovery will continue for years to come. But on one of my visits to him in the hospital the man who had once played rugby at the Naval Academy said, “I don’t need legs. I have my arms. I learned discipline at the Naval Academy. I have my faith -- and a desire to serve. Maybe I’ll go to law school.”

He has a T-shirt with the words “Marine For Sale” printed on the front. On the back it reads: “40 percent Off -- Some Assembly Required.”

[​IMG]

Andrew Kinard poses with Kyla Dunlavey, a physical therapist helping him adapt to prosthetic legs at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.