1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hunting/shooting sports?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Brian, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Brian

Brian New Member

Anyone out there hunt, shoot, reload or cast thier own bullets?

2. Grace

Grace New Member

My dad took me hunting once. He never offered again. I just can't be quiet for that long :D :D :D [​IMG] He and my brother go all the time (during hunting season of course) I like deer meat, but I couldn't kill one. They are jsut too pretty. I let daddy do all the dirty work then I'll cook the meat. ;)

3. Brian

Brian New Member

Dad and I hunted a lot when I was a kid. We never did kill any deer but did bunches of bird a rabbit hunting. I'm trying to learn more about it since my son is now 4 (already). I would like to be proficent enough to teach him the stuff Dad tried to teach me. I hope my son likes it, so far he really likes the time spent in the woods just kicking around. Long story short I bought a rifle and while attending bible college at BCF I got hold of some reloading gear to make shooting it affordable. Dinners burning. :eek: :D

4. Brian

Brian New Member

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

It is deer season--almost over, and there is a ton of deer on our church's 52 wooded acres that backs up against some other wooded acres. I think we have had some hunters, but it is illegal in city limits.

6. ATeenageChristian

ATeenageChristian New Member

If we didnt hunt, the animal population would be over our heads. Oh yeah, bump :D

7. a_jediknight

a_jediknight Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian G:
    Anyone out there hunt, shoot, reload or cast thier own bullets?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hunt, and I love to target shoot. My preferred target shoot is the 800-1000 meter ranges. For some reason I love those long shots. Maybe it's because I can hit a 5 inch target at 1000 meters on open sights with the proper rifle, but couldn't hit a barn at 25 with a pistol...

Currently I am looking for a Remington model 70, open sights. Seen one for sale anywhere?

8. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Dark Jedi,

What you are looking for is a Remington Model 700. Winchester makes the Model 70. By the way, since you are into long distance shooting, I would suggest that you not get a hunting rifle; get an HK or Steyr or Springfield sniper rifle topped with a Leupold Sniper scope. This would come in handy during the tribulation period (postrib me!).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Jedi:

I hunt, and I love to target shoot. My preferred target shoot is the 800-1000 meter ranges. For some reason I love those long shots. Maybe it's because I can hit a 5 inch target at 1000 meters on open sights with the proper rifle, but couldn't hit a barn at 25 with a pistol...

Currently I am looking for a Remington model 70, open sights. Seen one for sale anywhere?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

9. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Dark Jedi:

Are you sure you could hit a 5-inch plate a kilometer away without telescopic sights? Maybe you meant a 5-foot target at 1000 meters, or a 5-inch target at 100 meters?
    Just curious.

For some reason I love those long shots. Maybe it's because I can hit a 5 inch target at 1000 meters on open sights with the proper rifle...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:rolleyes:

10. a_jediknight

a_jediknight Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROBERTGUWAPO:
    Dark Jedi:

Are you sure you could hit a 5-inch plate a kilometer away without telescopic sights? Maybe you meant a 5-foot target at 1000 meters, or a 5-inch target at 100 meters?
    Just curious.

:rolleyes:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope. 5 inch circle, called a V ring, on a Marine Corps 'Alpha' target. 3 of 5 in the V ring at 1000 meters with an open sight Winchester model 70 (thanks for the correction on manufacturers) sniper rifle.

Roll eyes all ya want, I'm damn proud of that.

(1995, Lajune 'C' range open competition with military (no custom) hardware, open sights only.
    In all honesty, I have never used a scope. I suspect it would improve my shot, but without using one, I would not know. The closest I have come to a scope were closed competition sights on a 22 as a kid. No magnification, no glass at all, just closed tubular sights with an aiming reticule. Hard to line up correctly, but very accurate when dialed in properly.

Someday i will learn how to load my own rounds and save money. i grew up with easy access to .22 and .25-06 rounds, so I had no incentive to learn. Grandad would buy all I could use, he was proud of my shooting.
    I really wish he would give me that old .25-06, i love that rifle, and it appears to be a rarity, I haven't found another. I think it was a Remington, but we are talking 20 years ago. Next trip to Texas, I am gonna pull it out and get the full info on it. That and his old 8-guage over and under shotgun.

11. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Dark Jedi,

Okay, okay, okay, so I believe you. By the way, I think that open sights on a rifle just cover too much of the target. If you can shoot well without a scope, you will shoot super duper well with one.

nope. 5 inch circle, called a V ring, on a Marine Corps 'Alpha' target. 3 of 5 in the V ring at 1000 meters with an open sight Winchester model 70 (thanks for the correction on manufacturers) sniper rifle.
    Roll eyes all ya want, I'm damn proud of that.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

;)

12. Brian

Brian New Member

About the only real long range stuff I've had the opportunity to shoot was when I was in the army. I did fairly well with the M-60 on the 1100 meter range. Of course that was 6 to 9 round bursts on two siluoettes. Currently I've been messing around with a 30-30. Hand loading for my more modern rifle I can reach out to 150 yards on medium game. So far I haven't found the load/bullet combination to get best accuracy. I did however put a Williams peep sight on it. Extends the sight radius and is more accurate than the semi-buckhorn it came with. Added bounus is how the sight is set up I can repeat point of impact settings accurately with many different loadings. For instance I have a load that is almost silent for plinking in the back yard with. Still need to be careful with it since bullet wieght and velocity equal a .38 spcl.

DJ if you ever get the bug I cast my own bullets and load my own ammo for the 30-30 and will for my other guns as I acquire more equipment. With premium bullets I can produce better than factory rounds for about 30 cents. Using s**** lead I can prduce plinkers for about 4 or 5 cents each.

13. Brian

Brian New Member

DJ did you ever compete at Camp Perry? I was thinking over your 1000 meter shots and they are truly amazing. Most high quality rifles and pre 1964 Winchester mod. 70 are will give 'minute of angle' accuracy or a little less. Minute of angle equals 1" at 100 yrds. Being an angle that spreads out porportionally. The ablilty to shoot 1/2 MOA out to 1000 yds with Iron sights is truly world class. Was that rifle equipped with peep style sights? Also was that rifle in 30'06? I ask because even with match ammo 30'06 usually isn't quite that accurate.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Brian ]

14. a_jediknight

a_jediknight Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian:
    DJ did you ever compete at Camp Perry? I was thinking over your 1000 meter shots and they are truly amazing. Most high quality rifles and pre 1964 Winchester mod. 70 are will give 'minute of angle' accuracy or a little less. Minute of angle equals 1" at 100 yrds. Being an angle that spreads out porportionally. The ablilty to shoot 1/2 MOA out to 1000 yds with Iron sights is truly world class. Was that rifle equipped with peep style sights? Also was that rifle in 30'06? I ask because even with match ammo 30'06 usually isn't quite that accurate.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Brian ]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly those were .208's. It was open sights, blade type. The rifles themselves had been overhauled by the armory for USMC Scout Sniper school, so were likely better than average. Position was prone w/ Support.
    I have never been to Camp Perry, I entered free for all competitions when they were close by. The Alpha target is a 3 foot circular target with a 5 inch ring inside a 1 foot bull. Centering the target on a blade sight is not that hard when it is that large, but re-centering with consistency on a bolt action rifle is a feat.
    As an aside, I did not win that competition. The top placer was a retired grunt/sniper from the Korean war era. I dropped a couple of points at the 300 meter line standing, he was perfect throughout. His only complaint was that he wanted his old 1903 Springfield, not that tiny Model 70.

15. Brian

Brian New Member

I like to shoot but I've never spent the time required to shoot that well. I have gotten pretty good with a couple of .22s I had when I was younger. I knew an older fella kinda like that sniper you ahot against. Dad worked with him and we hunted and shot. If you complained about how your gun shot he would pick it up and in the southern venacular shoot the eye out of a red bug with it. His 'natural ability' was better than what I've been able to acuire.

Later Brian

16. a_jediknight

a_jediknight Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian:
    I like to shoot but I've never spent the time required to shoot that well. I have gotten pretty good with a couple of .22s I had when I was younger. I knew an older fella kinda like that sniper you ahot against. Dad worked with him and we hunted and shot. If you complained about how your gun shot he would pick it up and in the southern venacular shoot the eye out of a red bug with it. His 'natural ability' was better than what I've been able to acuire.

Later Brian
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good eyesight is critical to shooting. Natural or corrected, and a slight distance advantage helps. Ironically, if you are near-sighted, you can really excel.
    With blade sights, you want your target fuzzy, and the front blade clear.