1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hunting vs Foraging

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Nov 21, 2006.

1. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Ok, I would add depreditation like coyotes, that are a nusance and way over populated where I am at.

But shooting a deer and leving the meat is wrong and against the law.

I think what most people mean when they say hunting for sport is they are looking for an animal that has nice antlers, but they still eat the meat.

2. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly, spoken like a true Ted Nugent fan. :)

Unfortunately the people who ask these types of questions don't realize that the responsible hunters NEVER kill just for the sake of killing. That's not the point whatsoever. A very small minority of people do that, but that's not the norm by any means, and it's wrong. Sure we may be proud of a nice rack, but, we also eat it. Venison is extremely high quality protein. Most people who don't agree with killing deer will then go to the grocery store and buy beef that came off of a killed cow, yet that meat has tons more fat and toxins than my deer meat. In my opinion, I think it's actually better morally to go kill a deer yourself than to pay somebody to kill a nasty cow for me, especially considering all the damages to crops and cars that deer do.

Trust me, you do not want to see the end result if hunting were stopped completely. Humans have always hunted. I see no reason to stop just because of some liberals with bleeding hearts.

3. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did they turn around and make Christian steaks or BBQ Christian or Christian sausage/jerky? I didn't think so. Bad comparison.

Are you a vegetarian? If not, then this is a dumb argument. Animals are still being killed, that's where meat comes from. Just because there is meat at the nearby Krogers doesn't make it any different, an animal was still killed to provide that meat. Actually, hunting provides meat that is much better for you than what you pick up at Krogers.

I'll take my clean, natural, low-fat venison that was on a deer that had a good life, over fatty beef that is chock full of injected hormones and treated inhumanely, any day.

#23 corndogggy, Nov 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2006
  4. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've hunted for 22 years and I've got to say that you're entirely right. But, don't group all hunters into this stereotype, this is actually a very small number of people who do this, yet they cause lots of bad vibes and make everybody have an undeserving reputation. I believe that several people commenting here have it in their heads that shooting deer just for fun and not meat is normal among deer hunters, but they are wrong. It happens, but it's not the majority by any means.

5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sport of it lies in the fact that deer's sense of smell and hearing are far superior than humans. It's EXTREMELY hard to get in close to something big. Some of those guys who are popping off shots from 300 yards away... yeah that's not much of a sport. But yeah, if you want something nice, it's already on the same level as playing a chess match but with only 30% of your pieces or less, as the odds are already highly stacked against you, no need to act like a blooming idiot to make it really hard.

#25 corndogggy, Nov 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2006
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though the majority will eat their kills, their motivation for hunting in the first place was not hunger, but the kill. If your primary reason for hunting is to fill the freezer, then you are an exception. However, saying that killing for pleasure is okay if one eats his quarry is kind of like saying fornication is okay as long as you get married afterward. You're still doin' it for the thrill.

My question is, is killing animals for the thrill of killing them a Christian sentiment?

7. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

No it is not like saying that at all. God says fornication is wrong all the time. He does not say that enjoying yourself while hunting and useing the animal for food and other uses is wrong at all.

Tell me if it is sinfull to enjoy killing the meat, how much more sinfull must it be to enjoy eating meat.

8. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who really cares? Why does it matter? If you truly enjoy plowing your field, if that's "thrilling" to you, is that sinful? Same thing... you're going to do it one way or another, if you eat meat an animal is going to get killed, and in my metaphor your field is going to get plowed, so why is it sinful to actually enjoy doing either of these tasks?

Also, I must add, that you simply cannot hunt and actually get something without it being thrilling. There is no way possible that you can go hunting and kill an animal without it being thrilling. So, there is no way for you to justify it being ok if and only if you are doing it for the sole purpose of stocking the freezer. It's the entire experience that is thrilling. I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Make no mistake, man has always hunted, and he has always enjoyed it.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is the motive for hunting solely feeding your family...or the thrill of hunting? This is where the motives become blurred between pleasing the flesh...that which like death and killing, and honoring God.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If the intent is to mangle every living creature in the field, and not to supply food...yes.
    ...then you are seeking to appease the flesh. Can you honestly say that killing an animal for the sole purpose of the "thrill" honors God?

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My mother loves to go "hunting" at the local Kroger. Is she sinning when she gets excited over picking just the right roast for dinner?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why is this always coming down to food? It has been shown that hunting is NOT done for this sole purpose...but the "thrill" of killing. Your mother "hunting" at Kroger's is a strawman.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What about fishing? Is it sinful to enjoy the thrill of catching a big ol' bass? Personally, I will not eat fish bought in a grocery store. I don't know what's happened to it between the time it was caught and when it was placed in the store shelf. To reel in a big fish or even a bunch of little ones is very exciting. And believe me they do get eaten with thanksgiving. Yum!

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Again, this is not about supplying food for the family!

It's about the "thrill" that has been admitted in killing. The food argument gets thrown in as an afterthought to justify it.

This is like the argument for abortion that the result of it leads to stem cell research and cures for diseases...all good. The fact is it is wrong. I believe the unnecessary taking of life just for the "thrill" is equally wrong, and appese the flesh that which enjoys suffering and killing.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Webdog, Anytime you eat meat and enjoy it you have participated in suffering and killing. Just because the killling was done in a slaughter house doesn't make the animals any less dead. God gave us animals to eat. There is no sin in it, even if you enjoy the hunt.
    God bless. :saint:

16. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

What is the "sport" in feeding the deer a month or two in the same spot and then when hunting day comes, BAM!!! Hunting? no way....Sniper? you bet ya!

Cindy

17. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

The motive is both. I enjoy hunting to feed my family.

But again I have to ask if you enjoy eating meat, is the motive ONLY to put nutrition into your body? Or do you enjoy eating an animal that has been killed.

When I hunt I enjoy being out in nature.
    I enjoy the chalange of the hunt. (anybody who says it is not a chalange has not hunted)
    And I enjoy the time with my family.
    And I put meat on the table.

18. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

No it is not like that at all. God says killing babies is wrong. He never says you can not enjoy yourself while hunting.

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

That is illegal, at least in my state.

20. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the problem with these arguments... it's NOT the sole purpose.

The dumbest part about these arguments is that it sounds like you're saying it's ok as long as you don't enjoy it.

Last night I went camping, I grilled me a big ol deer steak on an open campfire. Mmmmm boy. You liberals don't know what you're missing.

Whatever... I know where meat comes from, and it's not KROGER's.