1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hurling anyone?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Ben W, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Speaking of Ausse Rules Football and Gaelic Footy and the upcomming International Rules series, I wondered if any of you sport mad people like myself have had the opportunity to check out this Irish game called Hurling?

I dont know a great deal of the rules on how it is played, yet in Australia the Gaelic Football League is combined with the Hurling Association for managment purposes.

Aside from AFL, Hurling is one of the most intense aerobic sports that I have ever seen played, quite the spectacle to have a look at. [​IMG]

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

My kids hurl when they get the stomach flu really bad but we don't really enjoy watching!

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Here in Texas, we have a form of hurling. It's called watermelon seed spitting! :eek: :D ;)

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Hurling has almost the exact same rules as Gaelic Football. Except you use a stick "hurley" and a smaller ball (sliother).

Amazing skills in that game. The GAA covers both sports here.

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would I be right in stating that Hurling and Gaelic Football are only played in Ireland and Australia?

Are either played in Scotland?

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Shinty (similar to hurling) is played in Scotland and both are played in New York and the Chicago area of the States.

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

No. There is a thriving Gaelic Athletic community in Philadelphia and New York and other places in the 'States.

I never will forget going to Washington and watching them play on the National Mall. People walking by had no clue what they were doing.

I'm involved in the Irish and Irish-American community in the Philly/South Jersey are and some of these guys are totally insane about it.

They get up at 0500 to drive to the Anglesea Pub in North Wildwood, which is known locally as the "Irish Riviera", to watch Galway play.

Although I do like Gaelic Football, I've never really been into hurling, although I do have to love any sport where you can beat somebody with a stick.

8. Bro.Bill

Bro.Bill New Member

Do you think it will ever be on TV so we could see what it is like?

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Chech ESPN2 or someone in the summer when it is being played over here.

BTW - I just heard about the Asian GAA championships so apparently the sports are played in Hong Kong. Korea, China. Singapore, Bhutan (I think it was Bhutan).

10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this the game that useta be contested 'tween the USA & Eire until the USA players eventually became too big, strong, and fast for the Irish? Or was that Gaelic football?

Do you in the British Isles get ESPN on the telly? I believe the early ESPN broadcasts in cluded hurling...(And they also included C-Span between sports events, our House of Representatives being a sport itself!)