1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hurricane Evacuation Money Redirected

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by carpro, Sep 17, 2005.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does this not surprise me?

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/17/D8CM64J80.html

Money Earmarked for Evacuation Redirected
    Sep 17 2:36 PM US/Eastern

By RITA BEAMISH

As far back as eight years ago, Congress ordered the Federal Emergency Management Agency to develop a plan for evacuating New Orleans during a massive hurricane, but the money instead went to studying the causeway bridge that spans the city's Lake Pontchartrain, officials say.

The outcome provides one more example of the government's failure to prepare for a massive but foreseeable catastrophe, said the lawmaker who helped secure the money for FEMA to develop the evacuation plan.

"They never used it for the intended purpose," said former Rep. Billy Tauzin, R-La. "The whole intent was to give them resources so they could plan an evacuation of New Orleans that anticipated that a very large number of people would never leave."

In Hurricane Katrina's aftermath, attention has focused on the inability of local and federal officials to evacuate or prepare for the large number of poor people, many of them minorities, who had no access to transportation and remained behind.

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Typical. Uh, I dunno what happened to the money. Anyway that's all in the past we can't dwell on woulda coulda shoulda. We need to remember the important thing here is to take care of the mess we got now the best way we can. I can ya tell this though from the looks of things we're going to be needing greater control of the citizens and alot of money to rebuild and alot of money to study ways to be more prepared next time.

Seems like I heard this same speech just the other day. Hey, at least they all stick to the story that works. Oookay, we goofed. [​IMG]

Now give us more money and control so we can protect ya.