1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hybrids could pay more gas tax

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Revmitchell, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (04-20) 04:00 PDT Washington -- The federal tax man has an eye on those increasingly popular high- mileage vehicles, gas misers whose drivers love going further between fill-ups and saving on sky-high gas prices.

The idea is simple but technologically daunting -- base gas taxes on miles driven instead of on gallons of fuel bought. And advocates say the reason for such a change is also simple -- although such fuel-efficient vehicles as hot-selling hybrids pay less in gas taxes, they're still out on the nation's roads contributing to congestion and wear and tear on an aging infrastructure.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/04/20/MNGA4CBJH81.DTL

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Sounds like the thinking I encountered years ago in the military. During the gas crunch, Pres. Carter sent out a message to all military facilities to do everything to encourage conservation of energy, particularly gasoline.

The base commander then issued an order that the gas station at the BX would ration gasoline, with cars having the worst milage being allowed to have more gas than fuel-efficient models.

:BangHead:

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Makes sense.:thumbs:

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Just wait until we get cars that run on alcohol. The "good" Baptists won't be able to drive at all...

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

In other words...

"We need alternative and more economical transportation."
    then...
    "Uh-oh--revenue has gone down. We need our money to buy more votes!"

and how will they know how much to tax us?

More oversight and monitorng of the citizenry.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we REALLY want the government tracking us??

Yikes, this is absolutely ridiculous!

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Barbarian observes:
    Sounds like the thinking I encountered years ago in the military. During the gas crunch, Pres. Carter sent out a message to all military facilities to do everything to encourage conservation of energy, particularly gasoline.

The base commander then issued an order that the gas station at the BX would ration gasoline, with cars having the worst milage being allowed to have more gas than fuel-efficient models.

:BangHead:

Of course. The brass all drove gas hogs. So to the commander's mind, he was just following orders. I had a big van myself, so it benefitted me personally,(at least until the station ran out of unleaded) but it was completely contrary to common sense.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You are just wrong.

Just because you are at a loss for words there is no reason to insult those that you disagree with.

9. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

What exactly is Galatian wrong about?

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just look at government programs funded by cigarette taxes while the government tries to cajole people to stop smoking. As the number of smokers dwindle how will the politicians pay for the government programs that they based on collecting cigarette taxes?

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

There is no reason to call someone names when you disagree . . .

12. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The stupidity, of course, was not only in taking action that directly violated the order, the commander also assured that the base BX would run out of gas.

And then nobody had any.

Dumb. But a beautiful example of bureaucratic reasoning.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Do people seem to be quitting smoking? I live in the land of the $55 carton, and I see plenty of people smoking.

14. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Fewer people are smoking, but not that many. Who quits an addiction because it becomes more expensive? Not many.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

You're right.

It really doesn't matter what the vice is...our government (and many of our citizens) become "hooked" on the handouts/spending/programs that are paid for by these taxes...if revenue goes down because people quit smoking, there will be a crisis.

Don't get me wrong--there is such a thing as a worthwhile expenditure. Gas taxes help pay for road maintenance--a very worthwhile thing. But our government is growing at an ever-increasing rate, and much of these expenditures are very unnecessary.

16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's why we need to invest cigarette taxes in health programs to deal with smoking's negative effects, IMO. If we spend it for something else, we have the perverse incentive for people to continue smoking.

If we spend the money on the very problems the cigarettes create, as the problems go down, so does the need for the money.

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wayne,

Galatian calls himself "Barbarian." Was that the problem?

18. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Yes. My actual log-on is "The Barbarian", but someone decided that was too um, Barbaric, so I suggested "Galatian." (later they realized that Galatians were barbarians, but that's another story)

Ironically, I got the name for professing faith in God to atheists. So I'll be proud, not offended if you call me a barbarian.

19. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

How long before they realize that the large SUVs dammage the roads more than the compact cars. Will they raise taxes on the larger cars? :tonofbricks:

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does that mean they will be too drunk to drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.