1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hyles-Anderson College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Sunflowermama, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Sunflowermama

Sunflowermama New Member

I'll be taking my daughter to Bible college right after Labor Day. It was founded by Dr. Jack Hyles. It is a good school to attend if you are looking to be trainned to work in areas such as mission, preaching, evangelism and working in your local church's school. There is new program call the Jericho Plan. It is a blessing to families becasue the student can focus on serving God and not have to worry about college finances. My daughter has the committment to serve God so I know she will do well.

2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I pray that your daughter does well at Hyles Anderson College. As in any college, she will see and hear things that will make her question. Encourage her to keep her eyes on the Lord and maintain a healthy relationship with her parents and home pastor.

3. monk

monk New Member

I would listen to any sermon by Jeff Owens for a good reason for no one to attend HAC. Among others.

4. Sunflowermama

Sunflowermama New Member

Monk,
    Why do you say that? Are you familiar with the college or are you going on what gossip is saying? My family has been involved for years. My daughter is called to go there. Bible College is not for everyone, thank goodness. I know who Jeff Owens is. He has his own problems right now, and I pray his family will get through it so people wont focus on the negetives. Preachers live in fishbowls.

5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Jeff Owens is so disgruntled that you can hear him complaining about HAC in "any sermon" that he preaches, then he is not a credible source to begin with. He needs to move on. He is obsessed.

Or, if you are saying that Jeff Owens is such a sorry preacher that "any sermon" will describe the product that HAC turns out, then I would say that isn't a fair assessment either. HAC has turned out some very good preachers.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I hope your daughter has a successful and wonderful time there. College can be so many things all at the same time ;)

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

I hope your daughter does well Sunflowermama. College selection can be very difficult and can make such a difference in our lives. Often not only our careers but our spouses and friends come from this choice. I am sure you have researched HAC and find it fits your beliefs. It will be very exciting for you to watch her grow there.

8. Sunflowermama

Sunflowermama New Member

Lizbeth has wanted to g to Hyles Anderson since she was eight years old. When it came time for her to choose a college there were not too many she wanted to go to. She has kept her focus on what is important; what God wants her to do. She is a regular teenager, don't get me wrong. I am sure, going to college were she will learn from great men and women of God, She will grow into a solid Christian woman.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Amen, may it be so.

Having said that, I would plead with you that you and your daughter go in with your spiritual 'eyes' wide open and your spiritual 'radar' on high alert. I would say that to anyone attending a 'Christian' college of any type.

Why? Simply because the Devil and his minions have just as many 'agents' in Christian colleges as in secular ones. Many young people who are 'mama called and daddy sent' (not saying your daughter is one, you understand!) end up in places such as HAC and cause grief for themselves and those around them.

I have seen far too many young men and women with "stars in their eyes" end up flamed-out on church when they find out that the "Great men and women of God" put their pants (or coulottes, as the case may be) on one leg at a time while hopping on one foot on the pedestals they have been placed on by the 'powers that be'.

Just because a college is 'Christian' does not mean it is a perfect, sinless environment.

May God bless you and your daughter as she takes this step in her life.:thumbs:

10. Sunflowermama

Sunflowermama New Member

I know what you mean. We are all flesh and carnal, but if we take one day at a time and die to self and surender to Gods Great Design for our lives, we can be confident in His work He is doing in us.

I am entertaining an idea of a weekly Jounal for Lizzy. Nothing personal or intimate, just activities and classes she has throughout the week. It is still in the works so I have no details. Sounds like a good idea anyway.

11. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Sunflowermama-

Just curious, what were her other options?

12. Sunflowermama

Sunflowermama New Member

There were other colleges that did not fit her standards. There criteria are such as; Mens and womens dorms in separate buildings, dress standards, confrontational soulwinning and Biblical Stadards {snip}. There are other school that offer my daughter these, but over the last ten years or so she has developed a dialog with staff and teachers.

-- edited due to matl not germane to the topic.

#12 Sunflowermama, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  13. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

{SNIP} Response off topic, not germane to thread.

#13 Havensdad, Aug 10, 2008
  14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's be careful not to focus this thread on the negatives. If mom/daughter wanted input on why/why not attend such a place, the time is not now that they are packing.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Folks, the Bible version debate is not allowed in this thread. Take it to the appropriate thread.

A warning to all to heed the rules of the Baptist Board. Thank you.

16. North Carolina Tentmaker

I appreciate our dedicated moderators keeping us on topic. But if a standard on Bible Versions was one of Sunflowermama and her daughters concerns when choosing a school then why could they not mention it here.

I am not saying debate it here, but if they want a KJVO school then that should be a valid concern should it not. I don't have to agree with their standard to recognize that it is valid.

#16 North Carolina Tentmaker, Aug 10, 2008
  17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

People are free to have standards on Bible versions. However, per BB policy/rules, they may not:
    1) Proffer debate here;
    2) Attack others standards on them here.

Thanks!

18. Sunflowermama

Sunflowermama New Member

The point I made was there were other colleges she could have chosen.Some liberal some conservative. Much prayer went into the choice. The school needed to meet her standards; that is her solid foundation .She could have stayed home and gone to the Bible Institute our church runs. But it is not where God wants her. It would not have prepared her for being an elementary school teacher. I myself have a secular education, an MBA infact. ( I don't check my brains at the door before I enter the church building and neither does Lizzy)God does not call everyone to Bible College. There is a college out there for everyone. It needs to be a good fit and does not need to be entered into willy-nilly.

19. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HAC is unaccredited. She will not be able to teach in public schools, and many private schools will not hire her with an unaccredited degree.

20. Sunflowermama

Sunflowermama New Member

I will not dispute that fact. We are aware of that. There seems to be some confusion, allow me to clear my statement. She does not want to be a public school teacher. Churchs across the nation including missionaries seek teachers who have have been educated at Hyles Anderson College for their Church Schools. I am not worried about her career in the secular world. There is a wonderful state college her in Buffalo, Buffalo State, who turns out tremendous teachers. HAC trains students for work in a local church not the secular world. I think that makes thing clearer.