1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hymnals Still Have a Place in Modern Churches

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by KenH, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The music is a distraction from the words.
    I like a hymn with music that carries the words so they stay in memory.

My baptism hymn was included in the church supplement.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remembered every word to it about the third time I heard it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that theologically the songs are correct, however I find the instruments distracting and would not be able to worship with those songs. The beat is what sticks in my head from those songs rather than the theology.

I attended God's Man conference and they played that "we believe" song this year. The only thing I remember about it was that beat and that it distracted me from worship, which made me annoyed.

But if you can listen to those songs and not get distracted then go for it.

4. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Younger people are distracted and annoyed by slow songs and lack of instruments. I appreciate both styles. Very few people do. I know what you mean about distracting and annoying. A preacher who whoops, preaches with an organ in the background, or both; annoy me so bad I have to tune them out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anything, strong beats and guitars, etc. have the opposite effect on me. I can be immersed in the music and not be distracted by everything else going on around me. That doesn't mean the lyrics are irrelevant. If anything, they stand out more because I'm able to tune everything but the music out.

With more traditional (read: traditional for Baptists) instrumental accompaniment, it's difficult for me to tune out distractions like that. Also, I usually end up wondering if we are going to sing the whole song, etc.

One thing is for certain---the theology of the third verse of a hymn is probably not going to make much difference because it is rarely sung!

Now if we are talking full choir, pipe organ, etc., then I can appreciate a good bit of traditional music. "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" is particularly wonderful with a pipe organ, for instance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What songs? (I can't see YouTube)

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having been raised in the Churches of Christ, I do love, and feel more comfortable with, a Capella music in the worship service. After becoming a Southern Baptist I have grown use to the use of musical accompaniment. But I still prefer the a Cappella style in worship services. Michael Eldridge, has recorded four wonderful a Capella albums where he sings all four parts. He has recorded some of them as YouTube videos.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody, by Casting Crowns.
    We Believe, Newsboys.

9. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never understood the CoC a capella argument...

10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. Those would fall into the 10% ;)

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This might help. Since I am no longer a Church of Christ member I am not going to defend a position I no longer hold. But this is a pretty good recap of the reasoning.

Just the Facts On the Music Question

12. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say I don't know the arguments, I said I don't understand the arguments. It's reading a lot into the text. There is nothing saying they used instruments, but there is also nothing saying that they didn't. Since all of the apostles would be used to the use of instruments it would be safe to assume that they were already using instruments. Both sides have to bring assumptions to the text, but it is more reasonable to assume instruments in worship are permitted given the Old Testament usage.

13. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The argument goes back to the Puritans & the regulative principle that all worship should be in accordance with the Scriptures as redefined by Christ & the Apostles. I'm not familiar with the CoC arguments - no need to enlighten me. I prefer simple instruments rather than a band. They do help us sing in tune.

Ideally worship is of hymns that can be sung without instruments & so can be sung after the service, & sung on the way home & during private devotion. If those hymns are in our hands, we can take them home with us.

Worship is NOT just singing together in church with words on a screen. Worship is at the heart of our relationship with God.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I grew up in a church where I and two other brethren led song service a Capella... I did this for 35 years and one of them was my Dad... You want to sing with the piano, organ, guitar and drums be my guest... To me I feel more in tune with a song when I feel it in my heart and soul... Most of the old hymns back in the day I knew by heart... I could sing them in church out of church and anywhere, if I had a mind to.

The songs were not arranged ahead of time, neither were the prayers or the sermon... The spirit of the church fit the selections chosen to sing... The song leaders at times would select one or the pastor may select and opening or closing one but the atmosphere of the congregation usually made the selections... We sang what the congregation wanted to hear... Just old fashioned worship, us Old Line Sovereign Grace Primitive Baptist don't stand on ceremony... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  15. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very frequently I do that sort of thing with the praise music we have been discussing. On my morning and afternoon commutes, I can play the songs in my car, and when I do, I usually sing along to them. I also do the same with sermons (minus the singing, obviously!).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We sang this hymn last Sunday - Yet not I but through Christ in me. -

Words & music seemed a perfect blend, but I couldn't even remember the first line to look it up - only an approximation to the last line of each verse, which is actually the search title. I asked Pastor & he gave me the link.

Now I have the words & music, & can play it by ear.

17. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not both?
    I grew up in a very very fundamental indie baptist home, so I was raised on hymns. I still catch myself singing or humming them sometimes, also the church I attend (which is NOT indie baptist) still makes use of hymns.....they just also play more modern stuff as well.

When I first discovered CCM (Christian Contemporary Music), I was pretty enthralled with it. But honestly, the majority of it is a discount version of pop music from 10 years ago. Other people have said essentially that, and I rather agree with it having had a few years pass since I was first introduced to it.
    You have your good songs--Casting Crowns is a favorite band of mine, and if you like heavier stuff, Disciple is great, and Relient K has their own style. Switchfoot is brilliant. But the majority of CCM is repetitive and sounds alike, just not really original.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.