1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hymns are out. U2 is in.

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Aaron, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Since most of the songs Johnny Cash and Elvis did were already being sung in the church, I doubt it would have been a problem.

In addition to the classic hymns, much of their Gospel material came from Albert E. Brumley, Jimmie Davis and other popular songwriters within Christian circles.

Now Playing: Texas Tornados - "Zone of Our Own"

2. Pete

Pete New Member

He does a bit better here ...

3. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Interesting Article Pete...

I'll be interested in seeing how he conducts himself from now on...

To see, if indeed this can be said of him...

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Mike Sr.

4. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. nate

nate New Member

Being Episcopal I can assure you the ECUSA is no longer Episcopal but rather a liberal, anything goes type of church much of this came about when the 1979 BCP was incoporated.

6. preach97

preach97 New Member

Whatever happened to "Be ye seperate saith the Lord" or "Love not the world neither the things that are in the world"

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like that's a partial quote (also known as a misquote). Though I'm not sure exactly what he said that night (although it shouldn't be too hard to find out if we knew what concert at Madison Square Garden he allegedly said those words), but he has been saying this every night on tour:

"Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true -- all sons of Abraham"

He's referencing a line in the song "Love and Peace, or Else" that references the common Abrahamic origin of Jesus, the Jewish nation, and Arabic peoples.

Fortunately, there's lots of recordings of those concerts out there in the hands of fans, so someone ought to be able to easily verify it if we know what night it was allegedly said.

But I think we need to back off on assuming the worst of someone unless you can verify the source.

8. whatever

whatever New Member

It's on the DVD from their Chicago concerts. I watched it last night and was only half-surprised that what he actually said was not "all true" but "it's true", just as you reported.

9. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Bono!
    [​IMG]

He said it in the movie Rattle and Hum as well, when addressing "the cause" as they peformed Sunday Bloody Sunday.

BTW, if anyone is going to reproduce the lyrics, be careful: that is intellectual property and is copyrighted.

I love Bono, The Edge, Adam and Larry, and have for years, but I don't know if I would love their music in my church.......

Regards C4K: know that you and your family are in my prayers every day,
    BiR