1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hymns Vs. Praise & Worship

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by C.R. Gordon, Jan 29, 2003.

1. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

OK where do you cast your vote?

I think it depends!

[ January 29, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: C.R. Gordon ]

2. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I don't mean this as rude. I don't guess I know what to comment on.

Do you mean do I like worship songs better than praise songs? Or do I like both? Or do I think praise songs are bad?

If it is do I like both, than yes. I enjoy both.

Sherrie

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my church the hymns set the atmosphere for the praise and worship... I ought to know I am the song leader... Could you have prayer and preaching without the hymns?... You could but why would you?... But you can have hymns without the preaching!... Just get together and make a joyful noise unto the Lord... Done it many times!... Then again after some good uplifting singing... and a soul wrenching heart felt prayer... Throwing in a little preaching seems to help!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

I regards to Sherries answer in my church hymns are hymns... We don't put them in different catagories as they are all for praise and worship... Aren't they? :confused:

[ January 29, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

4. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

ok you answered my question...

it's a "do you like one better than another" topic.

5. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Wow! I did all that and didn't even know. Thanks.
    Sherrie [​IMG]

6. Molly

Molly New Member

We prefer hymns,but some of the newer songs are okay,too...just as long as the message is biblically clear and it is done in a reverent atmosphere,I will be okay with it.

What I do have a problem with is when a church makes the singing time the main emphasis of the worship time(the preaching should be)...thinking that a certain style can reach the lost....making the worship of a Holy God an entertainment for man's ears,or pleasing to man,while losing the emphasis on the Holiness of God.

7. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

I like you!!

8. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

I like you too :D

I call that kind of stuff "Happy Clappy worship"

9. Alliswell

Alliswell New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Our folks have chosen the more spiritual new sounding Praise and Worship songs.

We do hymns and then Praise and Worship. Our pastor has taught the champions of each to respect each other.

I think of the little Camp Fire ditty:

"Make new friends and keep the old,
    One is silver and the other gold!"

God Bless [​IMG]

Alliswell

One is silver and the other gold."

[ January 29, 2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Alliswell ]

10. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Caleb... Cute little girl... Hannah!... If I had pictures of my grandbaby Bethany at 18 months I would show them... Nice wife too!... Btw when I say I am a song leader we sing our songs accapella!... Been a song leader for 35 years!... Still like me!... Hymn are hymns!... As I post I'm singing a favorite of mine... Jesus Lover My Soul!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

11. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

yepper i still like ya! :D

12. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

The way you have characterized those who make singing the main ephesis of worship, I can't help but agree. Anyone who does so with a style for the lost or anything like that is off track. I must ask though, what is your biblical basis for assuming that preaching should be the center or worship. How about praying? How about praising? How about edifying one another through the laying on of hands?

13. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some hymns are excellent, some are boring and well past there use by date. We should be encouraging musicians to write new ones to ensure a good mix. Of course there are also some of the Old Favouries like "What a friend we have in Jesus" that have been set to a new Hard Rock tune which sound good.

I love some of the new praise and worship songs that are going around.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thankfully attend a church where there is no conflict as to what type or style of music and singing. I have seen it otherwise, and I don't care for being a part of some church where people think things have to be all their own way

My view on the issue itself is this: Most of the traditional/classical hymns do tell a good message and they are easier for an assembly at large to sing because of their familiarity. But the 'fine points' of their theology is often questionable biblically, and that same familiarity that makes them easy to sing also lends itself to singing them with idle thoughts. As for contemporary praise songs, many of them are so repetitive that this 'idle thought' singing comes into it, and overall they do not seem better or worse doctrinally than the older hymns. But children, youth, and young adults are more likely to willingly take part in the song service with the newer praise songs, and that's a positive thing.

A church is not going to please everyone with their selections in the singing part of the service, but if everyone is willing to defer to the interests of many, there is better unity in a congregation, and that in itself is a significant part of biblical teaching.

15. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

I strongly disagree, and I don't believe you can back that statement up with any Scriptures. In fact, I would love to find a church with NO preaching from the pulpit, just all singing and praying and praising and reading the Word of God. My dad and I joke that if we ever start a church together it won't have any preaching. [​IMG] I know this is probably a shocking idea, but I would prefer to study God's word in a smaller group where we could dig much deeper and farther then is possible with someone from a pulpit. Now preaching has it's place, but I would prefer it not happen on Sunday mornings during our church service. This is all just a personal opinion though, I'm not basing this on any scriptures other then the fact that we are never told to have preaching during our church services, probably partly because the entire church format was so radically different.

As for hymns vs. praise & Worship, Ben summed up my position perfectly. [​IMG]

16. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Hymns!though I like some Praise and Worship songs but most Praise and Worship singing gets boring, especially if the song leader has the congregation sing I LOVE YOU LORD Over and Over Over and Over and Over and Overand Over and Over and Over and Over Again that becomes a vain repetition. Other music directors do a good job of leading Praise and Worship when they avoid that mantra style of singing.

Praise and Worship songs on a whole lack the theological depth of the Sacred Hymns and I see them as more a suppliment to the music service rather than the main course.

17. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

JonathanDT

What time is service? tee-hee! I agree.

Sherrie

18. Pete

Pete New Member

* Pete gets out his soapbox, steps up onto it and says "Worship is 24/365 [​IMG] " He then steps down from the soapbox, puts it away for next time, and says:

Generally I would vote for hymns, however do not throw out the baby with the soapy bath-water of today's songs [​IMG]

Pete

19. Molly

Molly New Member

I strongly disagree, and I don't believe you can back that statement up with any Scriptures. In fact, I would love to find a church with NO preaching from the pulpit, just all singing and praying and praising and reading the Word of God. My dad and I joke that if we ever start a church together it won't have any preaching. [​IMG] I know this is probably a shocking idea, but I would prefer to study God's word in a smaller group where we could dig much deeper and farther then is possible with someone from a pulpit. Now preaching has it's place, but I would prefer it not happen on Sunday mornings during our church service. This is all just a personal opinion though, I'm not basing this on any scriptures other then the fact that we are never told to have preaching during our church services, probably partly because the entire church format was so radically different.

</font>[/QUOTE]That's fine,Jonathan...you can have your own ideas about what church is to be,based on whatever your preferences are...there are many churches going this route in our area...an hour of singing and 15 minute sermonettes...

I guess,we take the passge in 1 or 2 Timothy pretty literally when Paul tells Timothy to *preach the Word* in and out of season. I think preaching the word expositorally is essential to worship and everything else should be focused around the Word of God....the offering is worship,the songs are worship,the prayers show our worship and thankfulness,but when God's word is preached,God speaks,what is better than that? Our pastor teacher teaches for about 45 minutes,and it is an in depth exposition of the word of God,much like a small group going very deep into the word....plus we have bible studies to be a part of also at other times...but actually the preaching and teaching on Sunday morning is as in depth as anything...except for the seminary classses offered,which are for those aspiring to be elders,missionaries,etc... The music goes right along with where we are in scripture,it is either after or before the preaching. Sometimes we sing as a result of what we have learned. It is great! I love the Word of God and desire to hear it read,taught,sung...all of it is important,but the actual Word of God is what changes our hearts to be real worshippers who worship in spirit ansd truth all week long,every day...it is what sticks.
    [​IMG]

[ January 30, 2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Molly ]

20. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Jonathan, I do hope that was a joke.

#1 Jesus Christ/Scripture DEMAND that the word be preached. (2 Tim. 4:1-2) It's not a suggestion.

#2 Your liberal idea is why the church is dying.
    People don't want to hear the word preached properly and exogetically. You sound like the people in 2 tim 4:3-4

If there is not preaching from the pulpit you can be sure Jesus Christ has no part in that church.