1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hyper-Calvinism and it's beliefs

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Allan, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I agree with all five, but I mus admit that some of the arguments that have been used are not as strong as others.

Some of them are quite forced as I said.

I haven't look at Phil or Monergism's list.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm a Cal by exegetical decision not a forced-fed one. :laugh:

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Well what are you waiting for brother, read! Read brother, read! :laugh:
    In the OP there is the Primer to Hyper-Calvinism hyperlink which will take you the actaul article for a better and more thorough defining of terms/positions.

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

You will find what you want (in general - it gives the baptist churches that hold to it) in the hyperlink I provided in the OP - A Primer for Hyper-Calvinism it speaks some. It is in first of the 5 types he sets forth that are at odds with the historical Calvinism or Sovereign grace doctrines.

So if you research those churches and evangelism and hyper-calvinsim I'm sure you'll get all the info you want.

#24 Allan, Apr 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I read primers on hyper -calvinism before.

As I said, "I'm a cal by exegetical decisions..."

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're correct. Based on the OP, I will need to label more of the calvinists here on the BB as hyper :laugh:

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ok, I'm not trying 'force feed you' :laugh:

And I realize you have 'read 'primers' on hyper-calvinism before', but I am trying to at the very least set a basic standard regarding the views of the Hyper-C persuasion. I believe Phil has set forth 5 types of H-C's in which the various other aspects some hold as hyper can fall into. Thus specific reference material is need for a basic common ground that both sides can review and agree with. I am setting out Phil Johnsons reveiw as a condences but presice view of the 5 types of Hyper views, which can incorrportate smaller or less definitive aspects. Thus the more validation from other Calvinists regarding the material the better the chances are that this thread be helpful and insightful to all.

Like I said I actually am not trying to make you read it but I appreciate your interaction thus far. Thank you.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Allan,

I deny all five points of hyper-calvinism as outlined in the OP.

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there are very few Calvinists here who can actually be labeled hyper.
    I know I have been labeled as such.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...according to the OP, the majority can be.

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Which of the five points in the OP do you think could be applied to the majority of Calvinists here?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Points 3 and 5 are quite common here.

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

And who here, who is a Calvinist, would be guilty of that? Having been involved in these conversations for a long-time, I am aware of a few here who would hold to that, but very few, and certainly not enough to call it "common."

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let them come forward. Quite a few.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Why let them come forward? You seem to think you know who they are. Just mention their names and let's see if we (and they) agree with you.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As a mod, I'm sure you know hot to use the search funtion. So I'm not accused of misrepresenting anybody, let them come forward.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I would not know what to search for.

My suspicion is that you would be misrepresenting people. There are a few who would qualify under #3 or #5, but it is certainly not common in my estimation.

I think it would have been better judgment to refrain from making the charge, particularly since you are not willing to back it up. Not making accusations is always better than having to retract them, or plead out from substantiating them.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I affirm that the Lord has no love for the non-elect . But I think I am in a distinct minority here . I am perhaps the only one who has this conviction on the BB .

I do not believe that God has different gradations of love for all people .

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word "offer" needs to be clarified . It smacks too much of a sales proposal . The Lord actually bestows salvation on those of His choosing . I know the word "offer" was used in some historic Reformed Confessions . But the meaning was not what the word connotes today . It originally meant the proclamation of the Gospel -- the presentation of it .BTW , regarding The Synod of Dort -- that was written in Latin and Dutch I believe . The English translation needs refinement .

I do not believe that God sincerely wants the reprobate to be saved . It is not His desire .God has no unmet desires .He saves those He intends to save .

But as Christians we are to tell others the bad news of their lost estate and then the Good News of the Gospel .There should be no restrictions on whom we proclaim these truths . Matthew 28 is our duty , our commission .

However , the Lord who has commanded that all who hear the Gospel need to repent and believe also wills , and intends the salvation of the elect and them alone .

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There's one, Larry.

Next?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.