1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hyper-Calvinism and it's beliefs

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Allan, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allan

Allan Active Member

continued:

And here is a Presbitarian site linking to this article by Sherman Isbell which speaks of "The doctrine of the Westminster standards respecting the free offer of the gospel, compared with Herman Hoeksema's reconstruction of covenant theology"

#81 Allan, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  2. Allan

Allan Active Member

No, you are the one adding to what he stated. He didn't say he was "uncomfortable using 'the offer' concept", that is your exagerted interpretion to what he plainly stated.

He said "with the possible exception that we believe the gospel is a universal command, not simply an offer. " He doesn't negate the view but would have it clarified better.

Secondly, why do you keep stating things like "supposedly being equivalent to Monergism's" when they in FACT state they ARE THE SAME.

Try contacting them and setting THEM straight. I'm sure you can correct their errors and get them to recant their statements.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree, and that is one main reason I sought THEIR opinion of the two lists and if they were of the same thing. They or rather he (John Hendrix) stated yes, "As far as I can tell, I do not see any contradiction between what Phil has listed or what we have listed. They are essentially saying the same thing."

Then he adds "It is very possible that some persons are simply inconsistent in their beliefs so may take on one or more of the characteristics of a HC, but the two lists, I believe failry accurately represent what a HC is. "

I want to further state this is not to say if a person holds to some aspects of a Hyper-view that automatically constitutes them as a Hyper-C, no more than if a person holds to one or more points of the TULIP makes them a Calvinist.

These were given to help those who aren't familiar with Hyper views to know what they are and not just lable a person who is Calvinistic a Hyper. BUT, it is also placed here to help those of the Calvinistic persuasion to see what consitutes a hyper viewpoint in contract to what Historical Calvinism has held to.

Thus a Calvinist could have Hyper tendencies in or on a particular view but not resolutely be a Hyper-Cal and therefore I place this here to give balance to both sides to re-evaluate what they understand as a Hyper view.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

#85 Allan, Apr 26, 2008
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deal with this specifically Allan .I looked at each example you listed as a hook-ups between the two lists and came up dry . A = E ? No , I'm afraid not .

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Refer to post #85, ..period. :thumbs:

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes , I'm sure a guy who has only heard of Calvinism in the last 7 or 8 years is going to explain to us poor deluded Calvinists what Hyper-Calvinism is . Come off it .

And make up your mind . Do you now think an historical view of Hyper-Calvinism is okay ? You were against that in your OP .

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

Rippon, the problem is with you.

Secondly, you misunderstood the OP and ran with it.
    NOTE:
    meaning the differences between historic Calvinism and Hyper-Calvinism.
    Do you understand now?

#89 Allan, Apr 26, 2008
  10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saying they are the same does not make them the same Allan . Your efforts at trying to connect specific passages from each and pronouncing them equivalent was futile .

Again ,look at #3 of Phil's list : "denies that the gospel makes any "offer" of Christ , salvation , or mercy to the non-elect ( or denies that the offer of divine mercy is free and universal ."

You think that is a perfect match for the following of Monergism's list :"that God does not command everyone to repent"

The two proposions are distinctly different . You are the one who said these two ( not to mention your other flawed match-ups ) were compatible . John H. did not say so .You came forward and selected some propositions from both lists and tried to glue them together . But your work was patchy and incomplete . Your hands got sticky all for nothing .

Again , I believe that all people need to repent and believe the gospel . Christ commanded it . It is the duty of all who hear to obey . Yet I also know that none will do that without the Holy Spirit working in their hearts . They will not comply with their native inabilities .

Since I believe that all are to repent , believe and follow the command of Christ regarding this -- how can I be linked with something you call the same yet is so different . Phil's #3 has nothing to do with Monergism's proposition .

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Straight from your mouth ( or keystrokes ) .

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

Now you're being completely silly and obtuse.

#92 Allan, Apr 26, 2008
  13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This article has absolutely nothing to do with Hyper-Calvinism . Mr. Isbell is dealing with his differences with Hoeksema's regarding the Covenant .( BTW , it's 'Presbyterian' , not 'Presbitarian'.

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

You were asking for any correlation between the two lists. I gave some and whether or not 'my' rendition is correct is not your real problem (mine maybe) but 'your' main problem STILL is with Monergism and their statement:
    So, as soon as you contact them and get them straightened out we can put this behind us.

But till then, the lists stand as that which defines fairly and accurately what represents an HC or one with HC tendencies toward certain aspects of their view(s).

#94 Allan, Apr 26, 2008
  15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing silly about it Allan . You claimed I misunderstood your OP . I said that in it you claimed that you were not going to take an historical view of the subject . I quoted you . Now you object . So do you want to define hyper-Calvinism in historical terms , or not ? Take your pick .

( BTW , you should have used the contraction "you're" , not "your" in your -- [correct usage ] opening line .)

16. Allan

Allan Active Member

And unfortunately your the only person how doesn't understand it. Or maybe because you have no real argument you had to find something else.

Hold up - I never said I was not going to take a historical look at anything. Where did you get that??
    Here is your quote:
    Please show me where I said anything concerning 'not' looking at a historical anything.
    Got it :thumbs:

#96 Allan, Apr 26, 2008
  17. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes it does :) It deals with the 'offer' of salvation being toward both the elect and non-elect. A view that HC's deny.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Me thinks Mr. Rippon doesn't like the "hyper" tag... :laugh:

19. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Regardless if one website states it agrees with another, people will disagree with what calvinism means just like they'll argue the tenets of arminianism. I don't believe that the spurgeon dot org site was in collaboration with monergism dot com, so we only have one man's opinion that both sides agree. This does open the door for those on here to disagree with what one website states over another.

Either way, I think hyper calvinism is best labeled as an extreme. Even as pointed out by Mr. Johnson in his primer, we've defined our own criteria of what hyperism is, so we lack an historical understanding of where its boundaries lay. I believe a simple definition of it is absolutism, and man has no part in it.

David

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

'
    Actaully, I'm in the process of getting Phil at Spurgeon.com approval of the Monergism listing as well. I seriously doubt that he will disagree, but I am still asking for confirmation. I (and many others - most specifically Calvinists) would disagree with such a vague definition of absolutism, and man has no part in it. There is an abundance of information to show what HC is and where it is distintively different from the historically held Calvinistic view. Mr Johnson did not say "we have defined our own criteria" but just like monergism set their criteria up in accordance where the two views divide from the the historical perspective of Calvinsim.

The criteria of hyper is that which is not consistant with the historically held views of Calvinism. WHile it can not be set down as one simple defintion to fit all types of HC's a definition in deed can be brought about to identify them individually - and that is what Phil was meaning. Not only is it definable (though I agree anybody can take a good thing and turn it into a witch hunt) but it's prime and basic views have been withstood for the last 3 or 4 centuries. These are summed up in the two listings set forth. And it is set forth not by a Non-Cal's understanding (Like Dave Hunt) but by Cals who understand Calvinism much better than I do and that which is called HC.

But let me also state this if may, I do agree that Hyper-Calvinism is best labeled extreme but extreme in accordance with the historical view Calvinsim. A the lists help identify those who are or have HC tendencies.

#100 Allan, Apr 26, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.