1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hypnosis

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by HeDied4U, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I didn't read the link, but just this in itself is a very good argument against hypnosis! Good point Katie!

Gina

2. Charlotte Marcel

Charlotte Marcel New Member

I had my children under self-hypnosis for the pain. That was back in the day when they put you to sleep, and you woke up with a baby. Natural childbirth is so much safer, but back then, they gave you lots of drugs, and I wouldn't do it.

My sister died from anesthesia in with her last child. With her first child she went into a coma for a week from it. So, I sure wasn't going to let them put me under. Found a better way to deal with it. And it worked really well.

God created man and his brain, and we don't even know how to use half of it. I don't think it's wrong to tap into what he already gave us.

God Bless You,
    Charlotte

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Gina, I didn't even think of it that way myself. Yes I though it was a very good statement.

4. Symbiosis

Symbiosis New Member

Perhaps your friend's weight problem is actually a symptom of a bigger problem. Do you believe she has a weight problem? If so, how long has she had one? I ask these questions because there's a possibility that her weight problem is a symptom of a bigger problem. If that's the case, weight loss will be nothing more than a mental band-aid. The band-aid may stay in place but because the real problem isn't in her gaining weight, she'll soon find herself having to deal with yet another problem; one that could be far for serious(perhaps destructive) than her previous problem she faced with her weight. I know this to be true because it's the story of my life.

I encourage you to have a heart-to-heart talk with your friend and share with her your concern in this matter.
    To answer your question "is Christianity and hypnosis compatible?" My knowledge of Scripture is small and my faith is questionable. Because of this, I feel that I'm not at liberty to say whether it is or isn't. However, I offer you and your friend the following verses from Scripture. Proverbs2: 2-5: " make your ear attentive to wisdom, incline your heart to understanding, cry out for insight, raise your voice for understanding, seek it like silver, and search for it as for hidden treasures. Then, you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God."
    I know there are Christian therapist that use light transe hypnosis in therapy. The trance level the patiet is brought to is similar to that reached in day dreaming or one a driver is in before suddenly realizing they've been driving for who knows how long without focusing on where they are or what they're doing. I think we've all had that experience. Many may say you'd be opening a door for spiritual attack and offer scripture for their reasoning. They may be right. But there are Christians that would disagree and use Scripture to support their reason as well. They, too, may be right. You can read a well written article on this very subject here
    :www.shootthemessenger.com.au/u_may_99/i_hypno2.htm

I hope this post finds you well. [​IMG]

Peace!

[ April 13, 2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Symbiosis ]

5. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow!! Thanks for the wide variety of responses. I'll be sure to pass them on to my friend. She'll be interested to read all that has been posted.

I tend to lean toward the view that opening one's mind to any kind of control outside of the Holy Spirit is a dangerous thing. Maybe demons can't 'creep' into the mind, but someone under demonic influence could "plant" some rather unpleasant suggestions, and I for one would rather avoid that.

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG]

6. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

[ May 26, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: 3907 ]

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I agree.

I keep waiting for somebody to say, "why don't you just take your friend to the alchemist and ask him to drain her with leeches"?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

So it's alright then to give control of your mind over to someone else? Wheres that allowed in the bible?

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The very first thought that popped into my head when I read this sentence was "it isn't right for the same reason having someone else accept Jesus for you wouldn't work".
    That was before I even thought about whether or not I agreed with the statment, lol.
    Anyhow, I wouldn't think of it as demon worship, but I might think of it as having someone else solve a problem for you that you should solve yourself, especially if it's a sin you have that needs controlled or a mental problem/issue that needs resolved.
    For instance, a relative of mine got hypnotized and told eating any type of breads would make her sick. She did it to lose weight and breads were what she liked best.
    Did it work? Yep. For a while. Then it went away, and she had the same problem. For a while someone else had taken the problem away, but it wasn't her and because it wasn't the problem was sitting there waiting for her after the suggestion given to her went away. She still had to learn self-control, and to depend on someone else to control you is irresponsible at best, perhaps even a sin in a situation like that.
    There needs to be a ponderous smiley!
    Gina

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

That doesn't happen, Kate. That's not what hypnosis is. It's fiction.

The idea of making someone cluck like a chicken is just a plot device on old TV shows.

11. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Right. Hypnosis is only temporary and is just one small part of recovery or therapy. No credible therapist will tell you that it's a quick fix.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This is an interesting topic. There are different types of hypnosis.

There's hypnotherapy, which involves being under professional medical care.

There's carnival "sideshow" types of hypnotistm, which, imo, is probably hoaxed.

Then there's there's hypnotic trance, which as far as I can tell, serves no redeeming purpose, other than to give up control of your self.

With the exception of medical care, I don't think that willfully giving up control of your body is an appropriate thing for the Christian. But that's just my two cents...

13. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

[​IMG] I know, or perhaps a good blood letting, drain the devil right out of 'em. Actually leaches are still used in hospitals, I believe they are used with cases of when surgically reataching a dismembered body part, to drain the bad blood from the area...gross huh? (I get that you were joking)

The prefix Hypo means Below; beneath; under.

The suffix Nosis means The ability to detect, sense, or discover knowledge.

Hypnosis means to tap into what is already there, our sub-conscious.

The ficticious images of people being hypnotised to believe they are animals or different people, or babies...are theatrics, nothing more.

Hypnosis has a very valuable usage too...it's very good at bringing to the surface supressed memories brought on by traumatic events causing traumatic amnesia.

But I can understand someone being afraid of relinquishing control. That would be pretty scarey. I'm just saying that in actuallity this is not what happens. But don't take my word for it. This information is easily researchable.

In Christ,
    Laurenda

14. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Right.

Yes and no. On the one hand, the "cluck like a chicken" type stuff is fake. On the other, there can be very real psychological things at play in a crowd setting.

A good example of this is your average Benny Hinn show. That's a very broad kind of hypnosis.

John, how do you define hypnotic trance? I've seen it used a couple of times here with a different meaning from each person who's used it.

You're right, if that actually happened. You don't give up your body and you don't give up your mind. As somebody who's had it done, seen it done and discussed it at length with a professional, I can tell you that you're in control.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

That doesn't happen, Kate. That's not what hypnosis is. It's fiction.

The idea of making someone cluck like a chicken is just a plot device on old TV shows.
    </font>[/QUOTE]And what about people being hypnotised to loose weight, stop smoking(etc.)? Are you saying people do not do this? Thats what this thread started with, so apparently it is true.

16. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I used to take patients to Chester Crozier burn Center and they use maggots.

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

People do have hypnosis but hypnosis isn't what you guys believe it to be.

18. christfollower55

christfollower55 New Member

i belive you can be hypnotized and i don't think it's wrong... I am not to sure about the whole thing though..

GOD BLESS AMERICA

19. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

About maggots... My husband fell off a cliff in a hiking accident when he was 18, breaking both of his ankles(in the same direction) and his feet. He had considerable swelling inside the casts and lost a great deal of skin tissue because of this. He had to have extensive skin grafts...and they used maggots in the process. Don't ask me why, when he started to tell me I made him stop, it made me gag.

They didn't think he would ever walk again. Praise God he didn't accept that answer. He was out of his wheel chair within a year of his accident. I think if you believe in something strongly enough, you can make it happen to a certain extent. When you don't have a will, when you accept failure, that's all you get...failure. I wonder if hypnosis works on this principle. It would help to explain why it works for some people and not for others.

Laurenda

20. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

About maggots... My husband fell off a cliff in a hiking accident when he was 18, breaking both of his ankles(in the same direction) and his feet. He had considerable swelling inside the casts and lost a great deal of skin tissue because of this. He had to have extensive skin grafts...and they used maggots in the process. Don't ask me why, when he started to tell me I made him stop, it made me gag.</font>[/QUOTE]Right. It's the same principle as with the burn victims.

The maggots eat the infected, dead tissue and, evidently, they know where to stop and they do it pretty sanitary(ly).