1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hypocrisies of the general non-christian public

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Born_in_Crewe, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

In recent months I've started to notice that a lot of non-Christian people in the U.K. often contradict themselves without realising it. I imagine its the same in the U.S. to some extent.

One thing I've noticed is that people seem to not only scoff at the idea of Hell, but also that God would not be a good God if he sent people to hell. And yet, when a judge passes a lenient sentence they are criticised, but when they hand down the maximum sentence they are praised. It seems odd that people think its fine for Man to pass harsh judgement on Man but its not OK for God to pass judgement on the people he created even though he is fully righteous unlike men and also gave them the opportunity to repent through Jesus and the cross.

I'm not saying judges shouldn't hand down long sentences in some cases, but just pointing out this inconsistency which perhaps millions of people have in their heads, without even realising it.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Another one is:

There is no such thing as absolute truth.

I wouldn't call it a hypocrisy but it's a self-defeating statement.

"Truth is relative" is another self-defeating statement.

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

BiC, you're missing the point: judgmental statements always have to apply to someone else, never to me; I'm basically a Good Person and that's Good Enough, isn't it? Remember that I am never oart of the problem; it's always everyone else. It's like the irregular verb:

I am a Good Person

You are a bigot

He is a monster who needs to be locked away for the rest of his life

4. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

So, what are you saying Matt, that I am hypocritical? (That's surely true but at least I admit it).

If that's not what you were saying, what does your post mean, as I can't really work it out.

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry, that's the problem with irony and sarcasm on a discussion board - my post was directed against the British public, not you.