1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hypothetical Situation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by superwoman8977, Jun 27, 2008.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Adultery is a "pet peeve sin"? Wow.

Scripture is clear about what we are to do when there is someone in our midst that is living in active sin. Welcoming it will damage the entire church. Addressing it and if the person is not willing to turn from that sin, then having them leave the congregation is not only the healthy thing to do but the Biblical thing to do.

Sexual sin is not a "pet peeve sin".

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Hi Jerry
    Yeah maybe they are the same person, but I don't see that. It's probably just the usual "Birds of a feather". People attract people who are like them, as also displayed here on the BB.

I joined the BB thinking I would create a hypothetical situation to gain godly advice. Except people began contacting me in Pm's etc.. so the members became real people to me. Then I couldn't do it so I waited for the topic to be addressed instead. Got involved in the discussion and kindof regretted it. Didn't know there was so much anomosity for that topic.

Imho, a person must cease altering their mind thru various means such as illicit sex, drugs, alcohol etc...so the holy spirit can break through to them. Otherwise they are calling out to the Lord while placing road blocks up preventing the holy spirit from intervening. Exercise helps the mind stay balanced and open to it's leading and lessens depression.
    They don't understand the peace Christians posess amongst the storms because they have never experienced it. I think she will become a solid christian, she is trying hard, but I hope it isn't after she has kept an illegitimate baby (if they are one and the same) and deceived herself into thinking the adulterer she married will change his spots. No decent father allows their young child to be exposed to their adulterous affairs as he has, so that is what she can expect also.

Imho, the godly thing to do would be to adopt the baby out to a Christian Adoption Agency. Then the child will be brought up in a loving, two parent Christian family. It will help ensure the mother will spend eternity in heaven with her child. I'll get off my soapbox now.

#42 Joe, Jun 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoever has committed one is guilty of all. Who is without sin?

I recall a story about an adulteress in the “midst.” And something about, he who is without sin calls God a liar.

I never said to welcome it, by all means stand up and call a sin a sin. I’m saying it appears that she lacks understanding, meaning she seems to hope she will be blessed in the current relationship; God does not bless sin, but He can make good come out of bad. Granted, she needs to be on the good ground and a doer of the Word, not a hearer only.

(Luk 8:15) But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

If I knew the secret lives of ever person in that congregation I could say the same thing about addressing their sin and them not being willing to turn from it.

The Bible shows a group of people (Pharisees) ready to stone an adulteress and what did Jesus do? He wrote in the sand and said, “He who is without sin cast the first stone.” After they all bolted Jesus told the woman that He didn’t condemn her either, and YES, “go and send no more.” I take that as Him was telling her to let this deliverance lead her to repentance. So who are we to judge her heart on whether she is being lead to repentance?

When it is separated out the way it is being here from other sins that makes it so.

I’m saying there are other also Biblically healthy things to do and consider, and there is more to the Bible which relates to church discipline (making a disciple, teaching one to follow Christ’s way) than picking up stones.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not according to Scripture. Scripture states she belongs to her husband...they are "one flesh".

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That is true. To say otherwise is like saying that my arm doesn't belong to me.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Read 1 Corinthians 5. That will settle the issue, IMO.

7. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

:laugh: Amen to that! :laugh:

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Lots , if not all, people have unrepentent sins. But she ahs announced hers publicall,y advertised it, and is proud of it, and has sid she plans on continuinly in it. When people's sins ar epublic like that ti must be dealt with (those not public sins we probably don't even know about, unless we're taken with gossip, a sin itself). According to scripture, sexualy sins are not a 'pet peeve', according to scripture we are to deal with them.

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This is semantics. The literary devices used to convey an idea doesn't mean spouses own each other. My wife does not belong to me, she chooses to be with me as a free individual. Women are no longer chattel. When the Bible was written, women were deemed to be property.

10. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Wow! Blind leading the blind! Well first of all my marriage is over as same as this woman. My papers are final as of today as a matter of fact hers are final August 1st. There is no reconciliation in either marriage. I dont see her dating this man as adulterous, her marriage was over before she even started dating this guy and how do you all know that he may treat her better, etc. She has a relationship with Christ, she wants to go to church, however after being hurt marriage for the moment is not in the cards for her, this baby was very unexpected, I can see where she is coming from because after all the crud I have been through if this was to happen to me I dont know if I could get married again either. But then to say to kick her out of the church...wow! I dont know what to say except I love all people and help them...she has repented but is she going to marry the guy, no.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Who is she preganat by, not her husband we have been told, thats adultry. And according to scripture, after a divorce, any s*xual relationship is adultry.
    According to scripture when a person has unrepentant s*xual sins they are to be removed from the church. We can tell if it's unrepentant because it is still going on. Repenting isn't just confessing it to God, but turning away from the sin. She refuses to turn away from it. A sign of unrepentance.

12. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

My only question is why in the world is this called a "Hypothetical Situation"?

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL, thats what I've been thinking, if the person and story are true it isn't hypothetical.

14. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Superwoman, obviously you are ignoring the scriptures that tell us that s*x is something reserved for marriage! As long as you continue to ignore the clear teachings of scripture, there isn't any thing more we can offer to help either situation.

Eventually, if you are a child of the King, He will bring you to the realization that being a Christian isn't about fulfilling fleshly desires and it isn't easy! God says "If you love me, keep my commandments". He doesn't say "If you love me, you can continue on doing exactly what you want to do without thought for me." It doesn't work that way. We must "crucify ourselves daily" in order to show there is a difference between God's ways and Satan's ways.

You can continue on protesting that we are a bunch of old fashioned people stuck in the stone age, but eventually you will be given a label I'm beginning to think fits you: troll.

15. Beth

Beth New Member

something else to consider

Something else to consider is a poor Christian witness.

As Christians, we are to obey the law of the land in which we live. Romans 13:1 ¶ Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
    2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
    3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
    5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
    6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God’s ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
    7 ¶ Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
    8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

In America, one is not single until the divorce is final......dating while still married, I personally believe, is a poor witness to the unsaved. world.

I feel sorry for you, superwoman, and will certainly pray for you. I would strongly urge you....and please don't be offended at my suggestion...I would urge you to get off these boards and spend this posting time in your Bible. I believe you need to refresh your mind with God's Word...then I believe you will be able to see much more clearly how your Christian conduct should be.

Again, please do not be offended...but I believe in the long run you will be much more content and peaceful if you spend more time in your Bible.

16. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Oh wow! You want to get biblical then lets get biblical about it. God loves us unconditionally. In the bible there is scripture backing up leaving an adulterous husband and allowing you to move on with your life. When I went to church yesterday and my time in the word this past weekend I came across in Mark 4:35-40 when they were at sea and had the storm and Jesus calmed the storm and asked them Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith? I think this also applies in this situation. This woman has left her adulterous husband and met another man no I am not saying having sex with him was right but it is done and I believe the Lord is right there with her through every step of this. It is in those moments when we need the Lord the most is when He is making us most like Him. Suffering isnt destruction, its redemption. I know in my dealings I could have run away from the Lord but I didnt I have grown closer, my time in the word has become more intense more connective (for lack of a better word). God believes in us our pastors underlying verses for this sermon series he is doing is John 15, which is starting to become some of my favorite verses in the bible where he talks about the vine and how the vinedresser must prune the "dead ones" away to allow the new ones to grow. God believes in every single one of us and everything happens for a reason. He is using the situations in my life to close doors and open new ones. He is using the situation in this womans life to enable her realtionship with Him even more. John 16:33 (for some reason I was stuck in John 15 & 16 this weekend) "I have told you these things so that in Me may have peace and confidence. In this world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration but be of good cheer (take courage, be confident, certain, steadfast, undaunted) for I have overcome the world!" It is through our trials that God chooses to show His face to us and as we endure through the trial He strengthens us and makes us more like Him. But through the trial He is there in the midst loving us, even when it seems like everyone else has turned away He is loving us. The woman I am talking about made a mistake. She knows this. She has repented. Actually she told me the other night that when she repented she could feel the presence of the Lord with her. God like with my marriage closed the door on her marriage and opened the door on a new life. You all can sit there and throw stones as you wish, heck you can all throw stones at me but I know that God loves me and everything is going to work out in the end. I can actually go to bed each night with that peace in my heart even in the midst of a bad day keeping that peace in my heart that this is all going to work out. John 15:9 comes to mind actually thats where I was this morning between patients--"I have loved you just as the Father has loved me; abide in my love and then going on to verse 11 -- I have told you these things, that My joy and delight may be in you and that your joy and gladness may be of full measure and complete and overflowing.-- I am going to close with this. From John 15:15--(paraphrase by me) Thank you Jesus for calling me your friend.--

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Sorry Superwoman, but she has not repented if she is still in a s*xual relationship with a man she is not married to.

Also, it doesn't matter how we feel or what we feel. What matters is what the scripture says. What the scriptures say about continuing in immorality had been explained clearly to you already.

You can tell us and yourself all you want that God approves of her choices and that she will grow closer to Him because of her disobedience, but it won't and is not the truth. It is a lie straight from Satan himself, that tells you "oh, you serve a forgiving God. Go ahead do what you want, God will forgive you."

We do serve a forgiving God, don't get me wrong. But one who continues on in immorality AND is a child of God will face severe chastening. The verse says "beware your sin will find you out" and it is true. You will grow closer to God if you accept His chastening and change your life around so it glorifies him. But often when the chastening comes the one being chastened cannot withstand it. They begin to question why God is allowing all this to happen, while at the same time trying to justify their sin.

Just like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He wants the cookie and he wants mom to look the other way! God does NOT look the other way while His child is doing something harmful.

You left out an important part of John 15 passage. Let me present it to you from verses 9-15:

Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love.

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.

This is My commandment that you love one another, just as I have loved you.

Greater love has no one than thin, that one lay down his life for his friends.

You are My friends if you do what I command you.

No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.

Notice the part where Christ Himself requires of us the keeping of His commandments. You won't be blessed by breaking His trust and then expecting forgiveness without consequences. Life just doesn't work that way.

#57 menageriekeeper, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  18. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If you believe this is true, then do you also believe that God is a liar? God cannot look on sin, so how can He be with her when she is living in unrepentant sin?

19. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

superwoman,

You can "believe" all you want to "believe," but until you can back up what you "believe" with scripture, don't expect any other person to "believe" the same thing you do. Some out there, as I, want scripture.

Do you know what God says about us doing what we "believe" is right?

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6

20. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I haven't read the entire thread but I have no idea what you're talking about. Belief should always be confirmed by scripture. Is that what you mean? The questions a lot of people fall under is what scripture means to them.