1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Agree with Obama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Gina B, Dec 19, 2012.

1. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

When kids are taught God honoring values, and specifically the value of human life, along with the healthy separation between fantasy and reality then the entertainment issue becomes a minimal issue.

When a person is not taught how to separate such things, or when for mental health reasons is unable to separate such things then we may have a problem. Still, it is human choices being made and those humans are the ones that need to be held accountable.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Amen, amen, and AMEN a 3rd time!

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Okay, if video games are such a big deal with so much cause-and-effect given to them, explain the long-standing, extreme violence and disregard for human life in Iraq.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe anyone has suggested they are the only cause in the world. But what they do have in common is the exposure to violence. Such exposure comes in many forms around the world.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I can't argue with that! People are very desensitized to violence. It's sad. I don't even get the "acceptable" violence that exists in almost all movies, even in children's movies. Why on earth do they need scary monsters and death threats in stuff like "The Little Mermaid?" It's just weird.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes very weird.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a BB member pointed out every weapon is an assault weapon. Assault by its very definition is to attack, to inflict harm. A fist is an assault weapon, so is a finger poked in the eye. A knife is a weapon for assaulting, so is a credit card with edges sharpened to cut through skin. you get the drift.

I do not favor limiting the ability of peaceful citizens to own a gun limited to 5 or 7 rounds, while the perpetrator of violence on them might be holding a gun with a 15 round capacity.

[​IMG]

Why is the ordinary, peaceful citizens the ones suffering the consequences to their constitutional rights for crimes by the violent members of society?

It seems to me we have enough criminologists with PhD's or working towards their PhD's as well as sociologists and psychologists out there who should be able to gather. collate and analyze the data regarding spree killings and mass shootings that have happened in this country, if not the entire world, to come up with a sane, coherent conclusion that mass shootings were perpetrated not by peaceful, sane, law-abiding citizens but by sick individuals and the only blame that can be laid on the feet of law-abiding citizens, for the most part, might be carelessness in the possession and storage of their guns.

#27 pinoybaptist, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
  8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    how do you add an image to a post ?
    I tried following the instructions, and my image doesn't appear.
    just the placeholder.
    are you going to move this to the Tech forum ?

#28 pinoybaptist, Dec 19, 2012
  9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you don't believe this? You don't believe the fact that Adam Lanza had ready access to his mother's guns had no influence on his actions? You don't think the fact that he used over 3 clips of ammo, each clip holding 30 rounds had no influence on his ability to mass murder?

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I believe is he would have done it anyway even if he had to find other means.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope everybody is aware that the video game that Adam Lanza played incessantly was "Dynasty Warriors" a game based on medieval Japanese characters that used swords. There were NO GUNS in Dynasty Warriors.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume since there were swords there was violence. Am I wrong? Common man I am doing this with on hand tied behind my back.

#32 Revmitchell, Dec 19, 2012
  13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Believe it or not lots of youth around the world have access to high end video games. They also have games made where they run around shooting Americans. But that is besides the point.

Violence, specifically the kind we have seen in Denver and Newton, is not automatically the cause of excessive, gratuitous exposure to violence. The exposure, for some, does exacerbate underlying conditions. I'm not saying it is the root issue, but a contributing factor.

Again, parents are the key on this...and lots of things.

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Assault weapons, as defined by the assault weapons ban, are a different category than anything you're describing. We're talking about guns that fire, or have the capability to fire, significant numbers of rounds in a minute. We're talking about guns that no civilian has the need or reason to own.

Let me tell you something I've learned from two guys at my church who are on the SWAT team. In almost every gunfight there are only a few rounds exchanged and they happen within seconds of each other. The need for civilians to own high capacity clips and high fire rate guns is unnecessary. There isn't a zombie apocalypse coming, we have a professional militia, you aren't going to be attacked by bands of armed thugs who will sit behind their cars and exchange gunfire of you, there isn't a rouge government that needs to be overthrown...the arguments for unmitigated gun proliferation exceed reasonable discourse.

When was the last time an American civilian with a high power, high capacity, high rate of fire automatic weapon helped cease violence within the United States?

This is a failing argument. It lacks the basic understanding of what actually happens in these rare situations and forgets that high capacity clips are, generally, used in mass shootings to exacerbate the situation.

So where is this conversation being had? What are the results?

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Folks, the real problem, the root of the problem is that evil is alive and doing well in the world today and will be until the Lord returns!

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Killing is killing. The weapon doesn't matter. It's a very bloody desensitizing "game".

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

When was the last time such a weapon was used commit an act of violence in the U. S . ?

I don't recall even once. Ever.

18. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me thinks left-wingers are a bunch of Hoplophobians. :smilewinkgrin:

19. OldRegular

Unless I am mistaken the Federal courts and liberals screwed up mental health care years ago.

20. OldRegular

This country lost its moral authority in 1973 and that is the truth!