1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I am a Baptist!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ReformedBaptist, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Well, I know you are meaning to answer the question, but all your referring to here is the tools God has chosen, and manner or means by which He saves sinners. It does not address whose ultimate responsibility it is.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since he gave us the task it is our responsibility. Now, maybe if he knew we were not up to the task he would not have given it to us. But, then, who does God have to work with beside we humans?

For instance, when I was working, before I retired, if my boss gave me a task it was my responsibility to get the job done, not his/hers.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Murray's biography details Pink's "forsaking the assembling of yourselves together" error. Pink found no church in the world that would suit him; eventually, he just spent Lord's Days at home.

4. ReformedBaptist

Yeah, that would be of concern. I don't think it invalidates everything he taught, but certainly is not right to forsake the assembly of the saints.

5. ReformedBaptist

This is where we have a fundamental disagreement my brother.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but the O/P seems to indicate that Baptists go back (at least in practice) to John's baptism which is not the case.

John's baptism was unto repentance and totally different than the Baptism in the name (authority) of Jesus Christ which used the Trinitarian formula picturing His death burial and resurrection.

Personally, I claim no identity with John's baptism even as a Baptist.

HankD

7. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Please define the bold it. Thanks in advance.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I am curious, if we are not responsible for carrying the message to people of the world, who is?

9. ReformedBaptist

Wow. Just wow. How little Baptists even understand Baptism!

10. ReformedBaptist

It refers to the advance of the Gospel.

11. ReformedBaptist

It is God's responsibility. And HE does HIS work by HIS chosen means. Soli Deo Gloria.

12. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Glad I asked. I thought your it meant the saving of the soul.
    I believe crabtownboy is right in stating that the church in general, and the believer in particular, is responsible for sharing the gospel with the lost of the world.
    Paul put it well when he said, " I planted, Apollos watered, but God giveth the increase."
    Just as Christ was a light and a witness, He said, "now ye are the light."
    God does the saving, but we are not absolved in what He has commanded us to do or in our responsibilties as a believer.

#32 Cutter, May 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2008
  13. ReformedBaptist

I think its easy to misunderstand my wording as to exclude the means God employs to do His work. But it is His work. Paul and Applos would not have planted or watered unless God had saved and called and commissioned them to HIS work.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you are correct.

Even the early church had to be taught the difference in the significance of the water baptism of John and the water baptism of Jesus Christ:

They are two different baptisms:​

Acts 18
    24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.
    25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John...

Acts 19
    1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
    2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
    3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
    4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
    5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.​

The baptism of John is unto repentance.​

In the baptism in/into Jesus Christ we identify with His death, burial and resurrection.​

Romans 6
    3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
    4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
    5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:​

HankD​