1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I am an agnostic...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the Glenn Beck program today, a caller told Glenn that even though he (the caller) is an agnostic he prays for Glenn.

Beck thank him and that he appreciated the prayers. :confused:

Lets see, suppose I am a registered Democrat in a closed primary State or Commonwealth, and I called Glenn and told him I would try to vote for him in the Republician Primary. Make just as much sense - or lack thereof....:smilewinkgrin:

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not technically incompatible. Agnosticism doesn't reject the existence of God; it just claims that we cannot know one way or the other.

An atheist praying, however, would make no sense at all. The cognitive dissonance required is unfathomable to me.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Not knowing one way or the other and flat out disbelieving has very little difference when making a decision to pray. The thought process one uses to reconcile the ability to pray to a god which cannot be know seems no different than the thought process used to pray to a god you refuse to believe in. Both are absurd and shows an inconsistency in either belief or claim.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

An agnostic is not saved, therefore God won't hear their prayers. They can talk about praying all they want, but it will do no good.

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually there is a significant difference.

Think of it in terms of gambling. If a person believes that there is a small chance that he or she might win the lottery, then he or she may have the impulse to purchase a ticket. If one knows for certain that the ticket is old or non-winning, one would not purchase the ticket at all.

"Hedging your bets," so to speak, by praying when you are agnostic is fundamentally different from praying when one believes there is no chance of a deity's existence. One is logically incoherent while the other is simply wishy-washy.

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An agnostic praying for a Mormon, no less!

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First we need to realize that their claims of not knowing and disbelief are false even in their own minds.

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
    Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
    Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Joh 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
    Joh 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

So I do not give room that they actually believe what they are saying. When you say you pray but reject the very God you pray to, as is this case with the agnostic, is not different than the so called "athiest" doing the same thing.