1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I am dissappointed in this forum

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by ttjab3, Oct 26, 2005.

1. ttjab3

ttjab3 New Member

I am horses mom and I have been just erked at what I saw on here and the respones she got when she came on here all excited telling you all that she was looking for a horse and going to get a horse.
    She got mostly negativity and put downs!!
    I am ashamed at all of you who did that to a child.
    When she was signing up to join this place, that my husband who is a member said it would be good for her to meet other christian kids and talk to, it said nothing about being whatever age you have all said she has to be. It didn't have an age requirement so how in the world did she know???????
    You were all rude to her and made her even more upset with herself.
    I am ashamed she even came on here, or that my other daughter is on here or even my husband for that matter if that is how you treat a young girl. Shame on all you adults who said mean things to her.

Grow up and treat kids with some respect.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sorry for the bad experince, but here is a quote from paragraph one of the user agreement.

3. Petrel

Petrel New Member

There is a national law designed to protect the privacy of minors forbidding web sites from collecting any type of information about children 13 and under.

I don't consider my and Helen's initial response to her to be negativity, but realism. There are thousands of animals that suffer yearly because children try to take on more responsibility than they can handle. We wanted to be sure she understood what owning a horse entailed. We offered other options to her for experience with horses and even planning for a career in animal husbandry.

I'm sympathetic to her for her disappointment at our explanation of the difficulties in horse ownership and why it might be wise to wait until she is financially independent to own a horse (after all, I once wanted to keep a flock of sheep in our backyard). However, I'm sure her disappointment will not last long if you do decide to buy her a horse, and if you do not, well, it was inevitable.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Whoah!

As an objective third party here, I just looked that thread over, and the only thing I see is that the author of the thread was upset that no one told her what she wanted to hear.

I mean no offense here, but as a father of a 9yo, 15yo, and 17yo, one of the hardest lessons in life is having to respect and accept the input of those who don't agree with you, and/or will tell you something you don't want to hear. I hope that this will be a life's lesson for your daughter.

On a sidenote, I question the authenticity of the OP here. The language is not written in the language of an adult, but of a preteen. Look at the obvious grammatical errors : "horses" (should be "horse's" or "horses'"), erked (should be "irked"). Notice the copious run-on sentences, indicative of a preteen, or older child. Note other phrases like "When she was signing up to join this place, that my husband who is a member" (an adult woud say "When she signed up to join this forum, my husband, who is a member,...). Then there's the phrase "Shame on all you adults" suggesting the poster is not adult herself.

We have several posters in their late teens and 20's whose writing style differs greatly from the OP here. In addition, my wife is a middle school teacher, and I have frequently helped her grade papers after hours. This OP indeed appears to have been created by someone under the age of 13 (not someone in their late 20's or 30's), and hence is fraudulent, imo. Does anyone else concur with this assessment?

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Johnv, your post assumes that all adults use correct grammar.

6. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Well, not necessarily. I've seen a lot of adults posting on the internet who do not use proper spelling and grammar.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's more than that. Simple grammatical errors happen on occaision, but in this case, it's the post as a whole. Reread it and tell us what you think.

8. Petrel

Petrel New Member

John, there are even some posters here who write like that.

Unfortunately it's not an accurate way to tell a person's age on the internet. I once ran across a girl who was 12 and you would have thought she was at least in her late teens from her writing style. Then I ran across someone recently who is older than me but appears to be in junior high from her writing style.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I would like to read the thread that this lady is referring to....but I cannot seem to find it?

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

11. Brice

Brice New Member

John the problem is people view this as an informal place to do business. I am guilty of this all the time. I don't always feel the need to check grammar or spelling, but I am definitely going to make an effort to do so more often. :D I do concur with your sentiment in this case, but I do think Helen could have approached this subject a little differently. Helen seems like one of the nicest people around and it is probable she was just trying to help. The internet can be a tricky place to do business sometimes. God Bless.

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I just read that "horses" thread, too. I wanted a horse all of my life, ever since I can remember, and the advice I saw on the first page there seemed very logical and loving....especially since none of us here know the girl and so are only giving advice to be cautious. I thought it was very good advice. It was much like what I was told by my Grandma when I was about 12. While I was disappointed deeply at the pointing out of a reality which really I already knew, it did ground me again.

Someone who would get advice like that given by Helen and would then almost immediately respond with, "Well now I hate horses! so forget it!" is probably not mature enough to own their own horse, yet.....regardless of whether the parents can afford it.

Believe me, there was nothing you could have said to me back then to make me hate horses, nor even to make me hate myself for wanting one. Same goes for now.....someday I'll be riding one behind Jesus! if not before. [​IMG]

13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I read the thread and I agree with Bapmom.

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been off the "I" for several days, & just read the original thread a few minutes ago.

My reaction was exactly as this quote surmises!!!!

Just from the posts, I surmise that horses, Ashleigh & ttjab3, all have a lot of maturing to do.

Not surprising for horses & Ashleigh, but ttjab3 OUGHT to be showing a bit more maturity in this situation than that that comes across with her lamblasting the posters who answered horses.

Perhaps this is not the true character of ttjab3, but all I have to go on is the response to replies to horses; if I'm wrong, apologize right now, and ask that you (ttjab3 ) show a little respect for some very good advice given to your daughter that may, just may, preclude a financial and/or equine disaster.

Incidentally, what is Dad's opinion of all this;
    1)Acquisition of a horse
    2)Attitude toward the answering replies here

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Just read the thread, which often degenerated into two sisters squabbling with each other, to see the wisdom, let alone the legality, of forbidding little children to post here.

16. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I honestly do not see the insults and put downs the op is referring to. The responses of Helen and the others was meant to give helpful advice from someone who has been there. I also tend to agree with Johnv on this. Any parent, who actually read the thread, would realize that the posters were not insulting her daughters, but were merely trying to be helpful. Also, if they were my daughters, I would be ashamed of their petty squabbling and disrespect of elders. But that is just my opinion.

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

nicely stated. It was an odd thread to say the least.

18. kubel

kubel New Member

COPPA

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/kidzprivacy/index.html

I'm suprised a Christian parent would allow their child access to the Internet unmonitored- in a discussion board of all places. I have high respect for the moderators of these forums- enforcing rules and keeping the bad people out. But no place is a safe place for the kid online.

19. Fundamentalist1611

Fundamentalist1611 New Member

I read some of the posts on the horses thread and that girl has some serious problems? I question her parents (especially her father who is a pastor? and encourages an 11 year old to post on an internet site and yet seems to let posts that show psychotic statements). Fahters/Mothers, take responsibility and control of your families and don't be too proud to accept sound wisdom from others.

20. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Let's not overreact! I think she's probably just an average kid. I'm sure in real life she would be much more restrained in her speech. The internet tends to be disinhibiting.