1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I attended a Taoist funeral

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Su Wei, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    not sure where to post this but i guess i'm posting this here under missions and evangelism so people out there know the spiritual darkness in Singapore. Pray for us as we labour for Him!

A sister from church, her grandma passed away suddenly. THis sister did share the gospel with her several times but there was no profession. She feels that she did not do enough. I reminded her that we are but the sowers, and God gives the increase.

Anyway, it was a taoist funeral. Taoist funerals are filled with rituals to bring the wandering soul to the place of rest. i'm unclear of the details as to what it all actually means. But there's burning of joss sticks, chinese reed instruments (like a simplified clarinet)and gongs and cymbals, chanting type prayer by four men wearing elaborate robes. The family is involved to bring the departed soul to the final resting place and it involves praying and kowtowing to the images of the gods.

In one corner is paper "effigies" of a palace, a mercedes benz (acoompanying chauffer!) and other luxuries that the deceased will be able to enjoy in the afterlife. It will be ceremoniously burned together with paper money.

Our sister had to make a stand about not participating in the rites. She faced the displeasure of some aunties. My husband had to make the same stand years ago when his grandmother passed away. There is a fear that if members of the family do not participate, then the soul will be left wandering. The pressure is very real to conform.

But praise God that we have the testimony of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego who refused to bow down to the statue!

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Su, thanks for your account of this funeral. This should cause all of us to pray for those lost in these false beliefs to hear and receive the goon news of Jesus Christ!

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Very interesting. Sometimes even in America, we have passing rites that are paganistic.

4. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thanks Marcia. Well, the Lord can even use such occasions to bring people to Him!

My cousin is one such example. My grandmother's funeral was Buddist, - chanting nuns, smokey incense and ringing little bells. He thought about the futility of all of this and it re-started his search for the meaning of life (and death). Praise God, he found the answer in the Bible!

So I did pray for my church sister's family even while they were doing the kowtowing that God would move in hearts and save them.

I failed to mention another terrible thing that happens at these funerals. It becomes a gambling den! Seriously, some members of the family will inevitably set up mahjong or other gambling games and start gambling into the night (the wake)! There's also a free flow of beer. Many times it will attract passerbys to join in the gambling too!

How perverse! I'll never understand that. [​IMG]