1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"I Believe" - Ancient Confessions

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Rev. G, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Do you affirm the following confessions (creeds)?
    * The Apostle's Creed
    * The Nicene Creed
    * The Athanasian Creed
    * The Definition of Chalcedon

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    With some quibbles.

Apostles Creed: Yes, if I interpret "Descended into hell" as Calvin did. http://www.reformed.org/documents/Christ_in_hell/index.html

Nicene Creed: Eastern or Western version? That whole debate, IMO, puts way too much specificity into how well we understand the Trinity, but I would pick the Western version.

Quibble Two. "We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins." Does this mean baptism is salvific?

Athanasian Creed: "This is the catholic faith, which except a man believe faithfully he cannot be saved."
    While I think the creed is an admirable exposition of the Trinity and true, I allow that some believers, especially new ones, would not be able to take it all in. After all, the creed tells us that we are speeking of "The Father incomprehensible, the Son incomprehensible, and the Holy Spirit incomprehensible."

Definition of Chalcedon: OK. But I like the Athanasian Creed more because its language preserves the paradox better.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

3. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Not at all, thanks for sharing!