1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I can't stand Church Annual Meetings/Church Politics

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Friend of God, May 8, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I were to bet (and I don't) I would say the number of "bad apple" pastors would seem like nothing compared to the "bad apple" members who make the majority of decisions in a congregationally ran church...and vote for the pastors. I let God run it His way, and follow what He says. I don't try to "fix" the church model given us by letting "majority rule".

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I will agree that I live by majority rule in our church and our association but at times they have went astray and we could do nothing about it. We have 7 associations who correspond with each other and believe me it is trying at times but I have never seen a church that did not have problems from time to time. I have also seen the church weaken since I came in, some of it is good and some of it is bad. I wonder just how merciful God will be in the end sometimes but even though our church is majority rule after the vote me in as their Moderator/Pastor for last 17 years at this church then the church works and I guide it. They make the moves and seconds and I instruct. I personally have the say at our church for they have always did what I ask them to but each year they have a chance to get rid of me by election but continue to keep me so far. I too have felt the sting of majority rule but love and believe in our church and association their doctrine, articles of faith and will no doubt be here until I die. In no way do I believe that we are perfect and are better or above others the way we rule but it works for us. One thing we all try to preferr our brethern above ourselves at all times. I still say regardless of how you set your government up in the end majority always rule for if we leaders get too far out of line they will show us the door.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I pray that God blesses your future ministry, Brother Bob, and the love you have for your church.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thank you Brother and same to you. I never did think I could reach them all that is why it takes us all. Some will hear you when they wouldn't hear me and likewise.

BBob

5. Grub

Grub New Member

The church I am writing about and once belonged to up until last week burned about eight years ago. The only thing left was the kitchen and auditorium. The chapel burned to the ground and it cost 1.3 million to rebuild it. This was an older building and I have no idea how much insurance they had on it. The cause was determined to be in the electrical pump system in the Baptismal. It started in the old attic and the original building was over forty years old. I just wonder if the building still has a mortgage on it. I do know it did have because I was on the fire dept back then and I had to sign a form for the insurance company stating the fire was determined to be accidental and there was paperwork concerning the cost of building the new chapel and Sunday school/multipurpose areas of the church. I do believe the new congregation might have a problem making the payments if money is still owed on it. I hate this so bad because it was such a very nice place of worship under the leadership of our Pastor and God. This man was such a very good teacher and I learned more through him than I ever have before. He is retiring and plans on doing guest work and evangelical sermons on a part time bases now. We are both the same age and he is about due for retirement although if this had not happened he planned on staying for another few years. Anyway I just wonder how the church will fare with such few members now and still pay for itself. I don’t wish anything bad for the church. This whole ordeal is so very disturbing but I know it happens many times. I will not go into details, but I once had a Sunday school teacher who was the Grand Wizard of the KKK in the state and no one knew at the time. This was many years ago. You just never know everything there is to know or should know about anyone… All you can do is pray that those in charge are there by the Grace and authority of God.