1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I Cor 14:3

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Feb 15, 2012.

1. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Are though baptists like me that would hold that one can be gifted by the HS to "prophesy:, but that would today be akin to be able to take the Bible and speak it into current events/culture etc!, foretelling, NOT forthtelling!

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of folks do not believe in scripture alone, they want to toss in orthodox views or traditions of the church. But Baptists believe in scripture alone, and do not believe in modern day prophets who are adding to God's scriptural revelation whether foretelling or forth-telling.

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

I DO believ in the suffiency of the scriptures, as they AREindeed the ONLY revelation of God to us, fully inspired/infallible, without ANY errors in the originals, but you CAN NOT say that IF one still holds to some type of propgecy still functioning in church for today that one has modern day prophets and additional revelations for today!

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would deny 2 + 2 = 4? Let me type this very slowly. If new revelation is being revealed by modern day "prophets" then "scripture alone" is false doctrine. OTOH, if "scripture alone" is the correct doctrine, i.e. what the Bible says is sufficient, then the doctrine of new revelation via modern day prophets is false doctrine.

To repeat, the gift of prophecy in view in 1 Corinthians 14:3 is speaking God's word truthfully. Now this may be a new insight for the current audience, but it is simply the intended message of the original author, expressed in a way that the actual intended message is conveyed.

If you stray from this, you stray from Baptist orthodoxy.

5. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

the Gift of prophecy in the beginning of the Church was of more of theprophetic element to predict Future, as when one predicted the coming famine, and also was used to giv/impart instruction and affirmation of the Apsotolic doctrines of the faith...

Today, there is still prophesy, but would be more as in the way the OT prophets took word of the Lord and spoom it into the immediate situation, to give Gods view on what was going down!

Even such staunch baptists as a Charles Spurgeon did indicate that at times the HS would seem to guide and direct him in just who and how to speck on the Biblical passages, was able to have direction in how to apply what the Bible said to the needs at hand!

#25 DaChaser1, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DaChaser1, you are advocating an unorthodox view, one inconsistent with our scripture alone doctrine. There is no new revelation being given to modern day prophets.

7. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

agree with you on that statement, just saying that Bible also had prophets/peter etc gifted to take the word of God and habe insight from God in how that would apply to situations/culture/churches etc!

NOT new revealtion, but illumination "wisdom from above" in applying the already sure word of prophecy!

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is one thing to say that and quite another to be a doer of the word. Baptists can believe in scripture alone left standing all alone in a field all by itself. The proof of your statement is found in what James teaches. Not in a creedal theology but practical theology which stems from faith in Jesus.

While it is necessary to have teachers who are well prepared it is even more important to have those who teach its application too.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue of this thread is not whether we follow Christ's commands, but whether we believe what is given in God's Word. If we apply new revelation received, are we really engaging in "practical theology" or our own religion? Scripture alone is sound doctrine just as opposing those who govern from dictating what they see as "practical theology" is sound Baptist doctrine too.

Speculation is the mother of all doctrinal error.

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

actually, NOT about if we are getting new revelation from the Ord today, NO true christian should belive that, but wether IF prophecy is still a Gift today, and what it means to prophesy?

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

While I believe that God can speak to and direct people personally and corporately He does not keep adding to His word year by year. Too many would say they believe new revelations are non-existent but do not practically treat ministry that way. How many pastors and people have something like "I believe God wants us to . . . " Then when their belief fails they refuse to assume responsibility for it. I have heard thew words come out people's mouths, "God told me . . . " and I knew for a fact that they were wrong.

To prophesy in the OT was to proclaim God's word. About 2% was about the future. Some today are able to look ahead and tell people what will happen if they continue to go down a certain road.

12. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

to me, coming out from pentacostal circles...

2 different takes held by those holding to Gift contiuing today...

Some hold to office of prophet/new and additional revelation from God..

NO!

others like me hold that God still gifts one to teach/preach an application of the biblical prophetic word to society/cultural ills...

They would have emans to see how to specifically do a direct application of the OT prophets to Isrea;/Judah and apply that into modern era!

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If we look hard enough we can probably find enough cases to show where every gift is be abused. just because gifts are abused we cannot base our theology on the abuse but rather what scripture actually teaches and develop our practice accordingly.

14. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

that is why I am attempting to preserve what the bible teaches, that the HS still grants spiritual Gifts today to believers, for purpose to edify/encourage/exhort, but also maintaining the final and exclusive relations of God found in Jesus and the Bible!