1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Corinthians 15:55

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by neal4christ, Jan 21, 2003.

1. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I was wondering if anyone knew why the critical text went with their reading at I Cor. 15:55 rather than the majority text. Or where could I find out info as to why? Just wondering, because it seems clear from the verse that is quoted there (Hosea 13:14) has Sheol in it, and yet the critical text has death. In the majority text they have Hades, which I would think would be more in agreement with Hosea 13:14.

Thanks!
    Neal

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am missing something here. I have both a TR and a Critical Text on I Cor 15 and they have the same Greek word "thanatos" which means "death" for the first word, and both have the Greek word "haides" which means "place or state of the dead" for the second term.

Modern English opt to translate the first and second words "death", which are perfectly legit translations. I wouldn't have, but they never asked me!! :D

And in the idea of making the Bible more readily understood by modern man, "death" makes more sense that "hades".

[ January 22, 2003, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]