1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Corinthians 5 vs. Matthew 7, Luke 17:3-4,Micah 6:8

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Debby in Philly, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does one reconcile these two viewpoints? Expulsion (disfellowshipping, etc.) versus forgivenness and mercy?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No problem at all. "Expulsion" has the ultimate purpose of restoration. Condoning sin is never the loving thing to do.

Verse available if needed - but it may take me a while to dig them up.

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Pastors, am I on the right track here?

I have always taken the letters to Corinth (in particular the chapter mentioned) as an admonition to the church for accepting or allowing members to act like the "lost" whether or NOT that member is truly saved or lost.

This is also where I think a few people on the board get this wrong.

You must take the Bible in context: THE CHURCH as a group, is not to associate with the world. They are not to tolerate this behavior of the members. This is why churches used to "church" an individual for living in sin. Churches are obviously more liberal now and this probably doesn't happen as much as it should.

HOWEVER, ON THE OTHER HAND, we as individuals HAVE to associate with the lost, when we work, and when we are dealing with the world. This is our witness to the world. Jesus went to the tax collector who was considered evil in those days because they had the power to overtax and keep the difference. Jesus caught flack from the Jews when he stayed with sinners. Jesus simply answers by: "Lu 5:31 And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick."

Paul is discussing how the church tolerates these things in its midst, while Jesus is telling us to go to the sinners and witness to them.

As a church we disassociate members who act this way.

Also, remember, this is talking about unrepentant on-going sins within the church itself. These actually may have been saved people who were reverting back to their old ways. Whether are not they are, is between them and God, but technically the church is not to tolerate this kind of sin within its midst.

We are also admonished from acting like the sinners while we are associating with them on an individual level. A Christian should stand out, and be known as a Christian where he/she works or socializes.

4. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then in the case of a member guilty of immorality of the severity mentioned in I Corinthians 5, who has repented (repentance being the key here), should the church (local church, that is) receive him back as a member? And if so, perhaps with the proviso that he not be allowed to hold office after being restored to the congregation?

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Absolutely, upon public repentance to the church a member is welcome to come back.

As far as an "office" I would not limit them for life, depending on what their sins were. (I mean, let's be real, if someone is guilty of embezzlement, you don't put them in charge of the offering cash)

I think they would be treated much like new Christians. You do not put a new Christian in a teaching position or deacons position.

I am a believer in having people "active" in the church, but it may be something such as "running the sound board" or helping with elderly food programs, things that would not bring up a problem.

I am a private investigator (among several other careers) and there is one thing I will NEVER do and that is allow a child molester to be unwatched around children in the church. Although I know that Jesus can heal all infirmaties, I have YET to see a child-molester (sexual) who will not repeat the crime if given the opportunity. But, this does not mean that they should be banned from the church after repentence, you just don't be stupid and let them have free run without some security.
    I would NEVER allow them to be around children without adult supervision constantly in place.

I could tell you stories!

Outside of those limitations, they would be like new Christians, give them time to prove themselves and also help keep them away from temptation. The flesh is strong.

Billy Graham always made it a habit to NEVER be alone in an office, elevator or ANY room with a woman without someone else present. I don't think this is because he didn't trust himself, but he knew that his witness would be destroyed by a claim of infidelity.

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Please realize that these are my opinions. I am NOT a pastor or professor of seminary. I have been going to conservative SBC churches since my mother took me when I was a baby 47 years ago. So, I base what I say on what I have learned.

7. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob, Blackbird? What say ye?

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Of course they should be restored to fellowship after repentance and acknowledgement of sin.

As far as holding a "church office," I have mixed feelings on that topic. Hard to pin down in the scriptures.

9. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Uh, Debby, this is ,uhhh, Dr. uhhhhh, Bob, yeah, that's right....Dr. Bob.

Uhhhhhhh, whatever Phillip says, uhhhhhh, yeah, that's right, Have a good day, Dr. uhhhhhhh, yeah, that's right, Dr. Bob. :D [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]