1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Corinthians 8:13

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of us are like Frank Sinatra with our Christian life - we want it "MY way way.

This verse states : Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend

Just because something in itself is not sin -does not mean it is acceptable to do so.

For example, if I attend a KJO church, I should only take my KJO Bible so as not to cause a raucous.
    If I send my kids to a Bible camp where they do not practice mixed, I will explan to my kids -don complain about it.

So do you put I Cor :13"

Open for discussion

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding of this principle is to not force the issue of getting our rights and liberties when it is to the detriment of our brothers & sisters, or to the detriment of the work of the gospel. Paul indicated that Christians had the right (liberty, freedom, power) to buy and eat meat offered to idols. It is only meat and an idol is nothing. But the freedom should be given up if this becomes a stumblingblock to a weak brother (1 Corinthians 8:9-13).

Paul was not asking others to do something he himself would not do (8:13). In chapter nine he illustrates the principle and fortifies his case by an example from his own practice. He had given up some of his rights and privileges as an apostle in preference to the furtherance of the gospel (cf. 9:23, 10:33). Paul shows that it was his right as an apostle to receive some maintenance or support by the Corinthian church. Yet he emphatically states that he had not used this power (exousia, right, freedom) "lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ."

Doing it "my way" to the detriment of others and of the gospel is a violation of the principles set forth 1 Corinthians 8-10. The good of others and the glory of God (10:23, 24, 31-33) must be the guiding principle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reverse it, so that the KJVO that is invited to your church, and is told that Nas will be used, cqannot stand up and denounce it in the sermon, nor talk bad afterwards!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know a baptist preacher who used to boldly proclaim drinking in moderation was not sin. "Drinking a few beers at the football game is not sin. Having a glass of wine at supper is not sin." He regularly found opportunity to say it from the pulpit. Funny thing is I have not heard him say any of those things after he got out of rehab.