1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I could use prayer...

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests & Praise' started by Scarlett O., Jan 9, 2014.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ya'll pray for me. I've had a severe asthma attack this week that has left my lungs with inflamed and constricted air passages. This is my third day of school to miss because of extreme low temps. and/or rain and labored breathing.

I've seen two doctors - my own brilliant one and another work-in at another place the first day when I couldn't get to mine. They both did lung/heart x-rays, EKG's, and more just in case it was something else. Everything is clear except for inflamed air passages. I've gotten a breathing treatment, meds, 2 inhalers, and more information about asthma.

Since I've known I've had it for a long time - probably 20 years, but never had anything this bad before, it's unnerving not to be able to breath well.

My doctor says it's a combination of extremely cold air (record cold for us) Sunday - Tuesday, a nasal infection, and having a persistent cough for a while that I just kept ignoring because I thought it was nothing, but was asthmatic problems.

Also, I started taking Aleve when I had my surgery last summer and just got in the habit of popping two of them about 4 nights a week since then.

I've learned this week that aspirin (what Aleve is) aggrevates asthma.

A lot of this is my fault - ignoring the persistent, but small cough and not educating myself about Aleve. :rolleyes::BangHead:

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will do I have been going through the same thing. I am supposed to wear a scarf over my mouth and nose on those extremely cold days.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Aleve isn't aspirin - they are two different medications. I don't believe that there is a contraindication with asthma and Aleve. My husband has only 70% lung capacity and he takes Aleve regularly (we get the industrial size from Costco) because of his foot and it's not bothered the asthma. Hmm...

But there is something going around that is definitely kicking the butts of those I know with asthma. Hubby went down to 55% capacity and is on a 2 week stint of steroids which has helped so much. Have you been put on steroids? When I get that, a pack of steroids, Dulera inhaler and albuterol is what I need to kick it. It's terrible. If you're not on steroids, maybe that is an option?

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just looked up the info with Aleve, asthma and aspirin and here is the info. I guess if you have a problem with aspirin, while Aleve doesn't contain aspirin, NSAIDS might cause problems across the board.

http://www.drugs.com/disease-interactions/naproxen,aleve.html#Asthma

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you so much for the info about Aleve aggrevating asthma in a small percent of us, but not being aspirin, I guess I misunderstood what I read about Aleve being aspirin.

One of the inhalers is a Dulera and I did get a steroid shot.

Thanks.

#5 Scarlett O., Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Good!! The other thing that helps us is hot drinks constantly (I used a LOT of herbal teas when I was sick and hubby found it helped a lot as well). I usually get sick that one time then have to be on Dulera for the rest of the winter. I thought I was coming down with the crud the other day but it seems to be holding off thus far. We'll see how it goes!!

Feel better!

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praying for you! Hot tea and Vicks vapor rub helps my asthma sometimes. Get better quick!

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Scarlett, you are in my prayers.

9. Archie the Preacher

Scarlett, no brilliant advice (actually the hot tea sounds good) but I will be praying for you.