1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I could use your loving prayers and support!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Mar 31, 2017.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On Tuesday afternoon, we had to help our vet ease our family dog/my service dog - of fifteen years -into eternity. The following is a request for supportive prayer from my Baptist Board family. I realize this topic may not belong here, but I didn't see a prayer forum grouping. I guess it was removed. I hope I canget supportive prayer from those who read the following, as it is needed at this time, which is why I came to my Baptist family.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Both Shelly and I are having a very hard time adjusting to life without Skittles. She was more than a family pet. She was my service dog, which meant she was with us 24/7/365, and to all of a sudden no longer have her as part of our life, well, you can only imagine, it is like losing a child. Your prayers will help us through this, because neither of us can talk about her without tearing up.

Yesterday, after shopping, and coming home, I looked around at all the places she'd lay and watch us put away groceries, and realized she was NO longer going to be there, and broke down in tears. Shelly, is going through the same grief/loss cycle, so we do need your prayers to be able to cope.

The house is so empty without Skittles. In the past, we always had other fur babies to cuddle and hug, but since she was our very last kiddo, and the one who went EVERYWHERE we went, the emptiness is more pronounced then at any other time in our 37 years of marriage.

I am ALSO feeling tremendous guilt, in that we could have brought her home for a few days, and then the vet would come to our house and help ease her into eternity. I am beating myself for not giving her just a couple more days to be with us, even though she'd be getting extra pain meds to cope with pain, and probably be sleeping all the time! I know, per the vet, we did the right thing, but, even knowing that, doesn't make me feel any less guilty, and bad for agreeing to help end her suffering then instead of a few days later.

Thanks for your prayers and love. They are needed NOW more then ever before! I know time is the healing agent in this kind of loss, but, time is dragging it's feet. Grace be with you all, and know, I consider all of you as my family, and covet your support and prayers, which is why I can let down my guard and share my heart with you all!!!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul and Shelly

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah Paul,
    May God give you and Shelly comfort in your less! I know that some folk will scoff at you, but the loss of a much-loved dog is really hard to bear, especially as one grows older. Of course, we know when we first get them that we shall lose them because God, in His wisdom, has made their life-cycles shorter than ours, but that doesn't help 12 years or so down the road.

I've been praying for you and I would counsel you to buy a new dog as soon as possible, not to 'replace' the old one, but to be a new friend and companion to you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm so sorry for your loss!! Even our "fur-babies" are part of the family and we grieve deeply at their passing. Don't beat yourself up for not taking Skittles home for a few days. Realize that animals live in the present and if she was in pain, it was best to let her go. It is hard but she was loved by you and your family and she knew that to the end.

• Like Like x 1
  4. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Ann, your words mean so very much. Because she was my medical alert dog too, we had a bond. I can't begin to tell you how many times she woke me from a deep sleep to make me aware of extremely low sugars. Being both a service dog and family pet, made this passing so hard to bear.

5. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin your words and prayers are timely, and needed. I know that opening oneself up on the board can be dangerous, but to hear from you and Ann, well, that gave me much needed comfort. I love this board, and have made friends with many over the years, and it is people like yourself, that makes this cyber fellowship so very, VERY special.

Thanks for your advice. We were emailed several adoption photos since Tuesday, and even though I didn't want to consider another dog right now, the emptiness in our house was too much to take, so we drove out to an orphanage today to look at one of the dogs on line, and ended up adopting a three year old. They brought her in, and she crawled up on my lap, and licked me, and before I knew it, I was saying yes. I didn't think I would even consider adopting, but seeing all these dogs in need of a good home, and this one finding me and sensing I needed love; was too much to walk away from.

Thanks for your prayers and sound advice. Both were awesome. Grace to you my brother.

6. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have my prayers, brother. I can relate to your loss.

And just to let you know, I did, with my last dog, let him die at home with us, and while it was not very long, he suffered terribly in the last few hours of his life, and that is something I have guilt about. So just so you know, I have, after seeing what he went through, decided that I will have my current dog (Blue, who is a yellow Lab) put down before he goes through what Jasper did.

God bless.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Darrell - We always say with the horses - "Better a minute too soon than a minute too late." I think it is a good thing to remember. :(

8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! I can certainly see your reasons for deciding to have Blue eased from this life with the help of your vet! We were tinkering letting her come home, and the vet coming to the home and putting her down there! But, she was pretty sick, and it was the best way to go, doing it at the office! It's just a problem I personally have, because I am deciding death for a pet, and it has never, ever been easy for me to choose that way!

I feel for you brother, as it seems no matter what we do, there will be some form of guilt! I pray your guilt be eased, because you did nothing wrong, or nothing that so many of us have not also pondered! God bless you and thanks for sharing! Your words comfort me as did your prayerful support! Grace to you!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist