1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I don't see how I could go wrong, do you?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Skandelon, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the gitgo this thread had a 'personal' aspect to it, the original post is immersed in the first person.

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Giving personal analogies or suppositions to make a point for discussion is not what 'being personal' means. You know what "ad hominem" is and it just isn't necessary.

Just address the topic. Very few have actually attempted to explain why the logic of this point is not true.

3. Skandelon

Of course. Why wouldn't you think that? We disagree on these points so it wouldn't make much since for you to believe I'm progressing, so doesn't that kind of go without saying?

Likewise. Calvinism was 'entry level' in my journey. The idea of God having to 'play both sides of the chess board to ensure victory' (i.e. sovereignly control not only his choices but the choices of his enemies as well) is a very small and limiting view of a infinite sovereign God, but to each his own. I know, I know, that's a straw man, but no amount of second or third causes stuffed between God's determinative decree and man's action can insulate and differ divine culpability. It undermines His holiness AND HIS SOVEREIGNTY, in my opinion. It is what it is and its a very tiny view of the divine IMO.

Thanks. That is honorable.

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the record, at no point was I intentionally 'attacking' your person. It was a subliminal response to the 'first person' of the original post.

5. Skandelon

I read your second post before your first, so once you acknowledged the error it should have been dropped. All is good.

I understand your intent now. No worries. :)

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't misconstrue this as being 'divisive', or, 'ad hominem', just my personal opinion, a participating moderator on a forum such as this needs to have a thick skin.

7. Skandelon

And that comment is likewise PERSONAL as it implies my skin is thin. Trust me, I lost no sleep over your comment. Don't misinterpret my calling you out for wrongdoing as being unable to stand under its crushing, overwhelming, all consuming weight....after all they are just 'words' and a Calvinist, of all people, certainly knows that words have little inner power or ability to provoke the will of man. :smilewinkgrin:

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, you misconstrue, NOT talking about your PERSON, it's your POSITION as moderator.

As a moderator, DHK has my respect. HE has a thick skin and I've no 'worries' of him dropping the hammer on me whenever I do engage him. Can't say I feel that way on this forum.

9. Skandelon

A couple of things, and we need to get off this rabbit trail. And I say that as the author of OP, not a moderator.

1. I don't moderate this forum. Squire is the only mod here.
    2. It's against the rules to 'get personal' with any participant, even moderators regardless of the 'thickness of their skin.'
    3. Some might interpret your construing of my very simple 'rebuke' as a dropping of a 'hammer on you' as a bit 'thin skinned,' not to mention that you don't seem able to let it go. I didn't officially moderate you, give you warning points or anything. I just called you out by expressing MY OPINION of your OPINION.
    4. I like DHK too, but openly playing favorites by contrasting us in this manner only further reveals your intent on this ad hominem rabbit trail. I'll gladly engage you on the topic, not on this rabbit trail.
    5. Your point has been made, you don't like me much. I'll get over it somehow. Now, would you mind if we actually discuss the OP?

#29 Skandelon, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I will give that a :thumbs::thumbs:. I would give it 3 or 4 but you have already used one. I am sure that both Calvinists and Arminians could be more gracious on this Forum. Since I am neither I am sure your comment does not apply to me!:smilewinkgrin:

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How ABOUT AN OPTION 3?

that you strain in a mighty fashion against calvinistic straw men theology, and yet seem to have a problem with IF it is true, that makes Godunjust, not fair, we are his robots etc then?

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Is this grace among brothers or sarcasm? Sometimes hard to tell.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I would like to hear a rebuttal. And one that does not appeal to the "mystery".

14. Skandelon

Having read several notable scholars on this subject, if they are objective they will eventually have to appeal to mystery on this point...or adopt the 'all Christians will inevitably become Calvinists view,' which is becoming increasingly more popular due to its logical necessity within that system...a ditch similar to other hyper tendencies that typically follow.

15. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In the Calvinist model when you find a problem in its logic or reasoning - you are claiming to find a problem in God - not in Calvinism.

in Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You cannot claim the "God defense" when it is merely the assumptions and inferences of Calvinism that are found to be illogical.

in Christ,

Bob

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

In this case it was sarcasm. I simply find it hard to believe that a Christian would post the following:

18. Skandelon

I was responding to that accusation...come on brother, you know better than this...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.