1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Hate Allegories

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dr. Bob, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

If I don't see it in the theater, I'll definitely see it when it comes out on DVD!
    I do get the connection already, it's just that the idea had to be presented to me because I never thought of it that way. [​IMG]

2. nate

nate New Member

I second that. Go see this film in the theatre you won't be sorry. It's awesome. And the fight scenes will not be the same on the normal screen.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I enjoy both historical writings/narration as well as more figurative writings/narration. Both have their pros and cons. Both convey truth in different ways. Both are used by God in scripture.

4. tenor

tenor New Member

I tend to love allegory and other literary genre. Symbolism and allegory are not the same.

I generally tend to dislike historical fiction, but love reading history.

I am a sc-fi, fantasy buff - both reading and on film. Even though I love sci-fi and fantasy, I feel we tend to read too much into them at times. Enjoy the story and try not to see a threat or deeper meaning in everything.

I especially love and have always loved time travel stories. Dr Who was indeed a fascinating and fun tongue in cheek series.

BTW, Narnia is on the list for this week. Glad to hear it is loyal to the book. LOTR was a little iffy at times, although I still loved the films.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, no. Haven't been to a movie theater since The Alamo in 1960 and not going to start by seeing a movie that the book's author pleaded NEVER to be made into a movie!

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Thank you, no. Haven't been to a movie theater since The Alamo in 1960 and not going to start by seeing a movie that the book's author pleaded NEVER to be made into a movie! </font>[/QUOTE]Two words, Bob: Talking beavers!

7. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"that the book's author pleaded NEVER to be made into a movie! "------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder why? Do you think he would have felt the same way if he knew how realistically we could do it now. You are missing out Dr. Bob.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched a little of the recent Star War videos and the Towers in LOTR. Not impressed.

But talking beavers you say? Now THAT is kewl. Assume one is the allegory for John the Baptist, damming up the river to immerse believers in lion.

And all I know is CS Lewis' 1959 testimony about what a farce it would be to allow movies to be made of something that was designed to paint visual images in the immagination.

I can relate. I have an image in my imagination of what some BB posters look like . . .

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I enjoy allegory, parables, history, historical fiction, and Sci-Fi (especially Star Trek). I like a little of everything. :D

10. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"And all I know is CS Lewis' 1959 testimony about what a farce it would be to allow movies to be made of something that was designed to paint visual images in the imagination."-------------------------------------------------------

That is what I suspected Dr. Bob. I agree, until the last 5 or 10 years it would have been technologically impossible to do Narnia justice. But that has changed. Those beavers look like real beaver- but with facial expressions.

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

CSL! [​IMG] (and it doesn't stand for CS Lewis!)

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just thinking about this post this morning. I think I agree somewhat. Though I really enjoyed The Lord of the Rings, and The Chronicles of Narnia, I think they're useless as outreach tools. We've had a whole nation immersed in Tolkien's world nearly three years, and has it yielded any spiritual fruit?

Of course not. God has chosen the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. And in the church, I'd rather speak five straightforward words than 10,000 shrouded in allegory.

But, allegory does have its place.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where, other than the brief section in Galatians 4.24ff where it's labeled as allegory or "figurative"? </font>[/QUOTE]I only need one example, and you supplied it. But as rsr aptly demonstrated, the Scriptures are rife with allegory.

Jesus saying he is the good shepherd (or the vine) is not allegory; it's a figure of speech called metaphor.

Allegory and metaphor are one and the same. An allegory is simply an extended metaphor.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there are a couple allegories in the Bible. And a fable (when the trees met together to vote for a king; really great story).

But does not mean that these are the methods of presenting the Gospel. May ILLUSTRATE the Gospel if clear enough, but someone would have to know the real Gospel quite thoroughly (like we do on the BB) to see the Gospel through the clouds of allegory like Tolkein or Lewis

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"But does not mean that these are the methods of presenting the Gospel. May ILLUSTRATE the Gospel if clear enough, but someone would have to know the real Gospel quite thoroughly (like we do on the BB) to see the Gospel through the clouds of allegory like Tolkein or Lewis"-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well Dr. Bob, I hope no one is looking at LOTR or TCON as a presentation of scripture. That would be rather silly. I think there value lies elsewhere. But here are folks who have "heard it all" who might just feel moved by Aslan's sacrifice and maybe would consider Jesus again. Mostly, I have found value in the stories as a way to highlight what I have taught them from the Bible. Putting the sacrifice of Jesus in another format simply for the purposes of stoking imagination and wonder.

It's like saying, "hey, you think Aslan's sacrifice is moving, let me tell you about the real thing".

17. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I hate fiction (except Star Wars).

I'd much rather read a good calculus book than a novel any day!

18. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is precisely why I WILL NOT see a movie AFTER I have read the book. No problem with the obverse though.

Also why, IMO, the TV series of "Dennis The Menace", and "Dagwood" never made a hit.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, just how old are you? ;)