1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I have a question about Solomon

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Cyndi from Cullman, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Cyndi from Cullman

Cyndi from Cullman New Member
    Site Supporter

I KNOW that God knows what we will do in our life -- that He has a plan -- that He is sovereign --- that He can take even our mistakes and can He make wonderful things happen in and through us to others because of them. Like Peter, he allowed him to be broken like wheat, so that he could feed the Bread of Life to thousands.

But I have this big question about Solomon that I have been mulling over for the past few years (I really don't know if it is a valid question) but it gnaws at me. (Please know that I am aware of how greatly God used Solomon's mistakes as a guide and example to us, my question about Solomon is much like when I mess up, I want to know what was the root cause)

The 1828 Dictionary (this is my personal preference in studying my AKJV) says wisdom is the c͟͟o͟͟r͟͟r͟͟e͟͟c͟͟t͟͟ u͟͟s͟͟e͟͟ of knowledge. The Bible says God gave Solomon wisdom and refers to him as wise. All these truths I accept without question.

So my question is this, why with Solomon's supernatural wisdom did he not see the effects his relationships were having (hundreds of times over) on him. Surely with his wisdom he knew, or did he? How could such a supernaturally wise man not know what happening to him (the influences of h͟͟u͟͟n͟͟d͟͟r͟͟e͟͟d͟͟s͟͟ of pagan wives and concubines) and the consequences it would cause? Or did he know the effects and just turn a blind eye to it hundreds and hundreds of times again? I kind of wonder if it was not the latter since he was so wise. And if that is the reason, then why?? Why would he not correctly use knowledge and continually ignore what was happening to him over time??

That is my question. Is it a valid question? I don't know.
    But I have mulled it over so long I ran across a scripture that Solomon wrote that makes me wonder if this might be the reason why he ignored what was happening to him (you know, the answer to the question that I don't know if I should even be asking :)

Proverbs 15:33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom.

Did he not fear the Lord as he should so much so that he did not follow the instruction of his wisdom?

That is my question and my answer to it and I don't know if either is right

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a great question, Cyndi! :)
    Very simply, if a man with Solomon's great wisdom could be led astray and fall into sin, how much more do we Christians need to stay close to the Lord Jesus Christ.

'If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God........' (1 Corinthians 3:18-20).

I don't know whether you've considered the concept of Root Sins and Fruit Sins, but the root of very many sins is pride. Perhaps Solomon reasoned to himself along these lines: "Well of course, to most people, having many wives, especially pagan ones, would be a foolish and dangerous thing to do, but to someone like me, endowed as I am with such vast amount of wisdom, intelligence and saviour faire, there can be no danger of being drawn away from God by marrying pagan women........."

One of my favourite verses in the whole Bible is Job 28:28. 'Behold, the fear of the LORD, that is wisdom. And to depart from evil is understanding.'

I am sure that you're right that he was drawn away from the fear of the Lord, possibly because of his pride in the wisdom that God had given him.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent question, Cyndi!

Will have to think about this.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cyndi - the quick answer is that, for all his wisdom, he was still human, with all the flaws, quirks, and head-shaking "what was he thinking?" that goes along with being human.

Thus, as has been previously posted, he becomes the example of how great men of God, as well as "man, do I still have a long ways to go" people like me, need to watch the examples scripture has given us, and try to learn from history and the mistakes of others.

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So in English, intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit, and wisdom is knowing that a tomato doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

Did the hebrew word used for Solomon's wisdom have the same underlying meanings?

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible uses three words regarding how our minds work:

Knowledge, Understanding, Wisdom.

I will use a chair as an example.

Knowledge is knowing what a chair is. It's a chair.

Understanding is knowing what a chair is for. To sit on.

Wisdom is applying that knowledge and understanding to our lives so that it changes us, it makes a difference in our lives. We sit down.

:)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the likeness of Adam`s transgression, who is a figure of him that was to come.
    15 But not as the trespass, so also is the free gift. For if by the trespass of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God, and the gift by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, abound unto the many. Ro 5

Solomon, just as Adam, was a type of Christ, "but not as, so also is". The "h͟͟u͟͟n͟͟d͟͟r͟͟e͟͟d͟͟s͟͟ of pagan wives and concubines" symbolize the bride of Christ taken from the pagan nations and brought into the kingdom of God.

4 For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods; and his heart was not perfect with Jehovah his God, as was the heart of David his father. 1 Ki 11

IMO, an example of the carnal Christian.

Question for you: If David was a man after God's own heart, how could he have possibly committed his heinous crimes?