1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I have a question

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by spiersdodgerblue, Feb 9, 2008.

1. spiersdodgerblue

spiersdodgerblue New Member

For those baptist who have "Celebrate Recovery" in their church.

In another thread on these forums someone in there post made these statements.

rowdier church crowd (the recovery group) and Recovery Group Sunday School Class (or whatever they call it) ....I have typed this as I saw it.

Question, is this generally how you view this ministry?

This thread is not meant for debate. I would just like to know your true feelings.

Thank you
    Annette

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hi Annette,

Nice to meet you! :)

I guess you'd really have to give a bit more of the context in order for me to answer that. We don't have a Celebration Recovery group, but we have a Reformers Unanimous group, which is the same basic idea and ministers in the same way.

Perhaps whoever posted what you wrote has that as their experience - it might not be a negative to them even.

In our church the Reformers Unanimous members tend to be a bit "rougher" I guess you'd say. BUt we've got quite a rough church as it is - and so saying they are rowdier, or rougher around the edges, is not a reflection of whether or not they are accepted. Am I making sense?

Due to who the addiction recovery groups minister to, those members will probably be the rowdier crowd - but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. :)

3. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Annette,

In our case, I would say the exact opposite is true. They aren't rowdy at all. Most of them, by the time they come to CR have hit bottom and are truly broken people. In our case, and I think for most others that I know of, it takes time to take them through CR and then get them connected to the church. So normally by the time they are coming to a regular church service there has already been a major life change. We get several who are court mandated to attend a recovery program, and we have a really good reputation with the courts, so they prefer ours. Some of the mandated guys just really don't want to be there, but I've never really had a problem with them. More just rolling the eyes and heavy sighs. Even the ones who don't want to be there haven't been rowdy. In almost 5 years of this ministry I've only had to ask one guy to leave. And we went outside and talked it out and he came back and was fine.

What has been an adventure sometimes is when we get them to start coming to small group Bible study. Many of them have no experience at all with church and were not raised with any sense of what's appropriate. We have had more than one "F-bomb" dropped in the middle of a study. Some of them, you just have no idea what they're going to say. It keeps you on your toes :laugh: I've decided that for me I'd rather dodge a few bad words in room full of guys who sincerely want the Grace and Mercy that leads to an abundant life in Christ than to sit in room full of saints who already know everything.

And hey, if you want to see rowdy, just stop in and check out my youth pastor's kids :laugh:

4. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Celebrate Recovery has been named in our Church to get it started. I don't really know much about the program. I can tell a story about a lady in our Church that wants to work with CR if we get it started. I have never in all my days saw someone more "onfire" for the Lord than this lady. You can see the gratitude for the Lord saving her every time you talk to her. BTW, she has saw 4 kids come to the Lord since she got saved and started coming here.

Edit: I forgot to add that she will tell you real fast that God will bring you out of addiction.

#4 JerryL, Feb 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2008
  5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My son is high school pastor of the church that is the CR "home" and he has shared some wonderful stories of God working. These aren't 'down and outters' or rowdy motorcycle crowd; they are upper middle class business folks in a multi-ethnic suburban church in the OC.

Whether a home-made 12-step program, traditional AA (which I am involved in), RU, CR or other, we rejoice that some folks are getting real help in dealing with horrible addictions.

Now if they had one for the BB . . . :laugh:

6. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Hey Dr. Bob, Celebrate works regardless of your hurt, habit, or hang-up :thumbs:

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm already in one 12-step program.

Hi. My name is Bob . .

[Hi, Bob]

. . and I'm a recovering Pharisee.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

In my church, I love Celebrate Recovery. I cook for it every other Friday night (when I am off.) It is a joy to wash feet by cooking a good homecooked meal for people who may not have had a good homecooked meal week. JOY. And I mean COMPLETE.

The worship service, within my personal experience, is true worship. Though people are struggling with their sin, they give true graciousness and thankfulness to God for their salvation. Pure worship.

It might be loud. It might be rowdy. It may be atypical. But I believe God is honored.

9. spiersdodgerblue

Thank you all for your replies.

Celebrate in my church has been great the past 3 years. We have had our Sr. pastor and his wife's full support from the start, he even went down to Saddle Back with us when we first got off the ground. But God has called him away this pass December to pastor another church. And the members who did not want "the druggies and drunks" (as the people of this ministry have been called) are coming out of the woodwork and are being very vocal about their dislike of these hurting people.

I am tried of hearing about "those people" and trying hard not to allow anger get the best of me. But if I hear again, one of these members who happen to be in a leadership role at one of our wonderful meetings make this statement, I think I'm going to blow. And I know it's not just my church. Jesus came for all, he came for these people who are sick in addiction and hangups and bad behaver. Most of these people don't know Jesus, this is the only place they hear about Him. We are trying to do as He would have us do. Show them His Love, lead them to the Hope we have found in Him.

The pastor that is leading the church now says he supports this ministry, but I just have some strong concerns about those that are giving us grief.

Sorry people, I went on way to long, it has become a vent, sorry.

In Christ
    Annette

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am not really sure why naysayers feel like they have a place. This attitude is offensive.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Annette,

I understand why it would make you upset, I'd feel the same way.

Rather than waiting in frustration until you do blow your stack, why don't you sit down and write a note to your pastor about your concerns and ask him to help you in this. Since he says he supports it, perhaps he will be willing to address the issue himself.

One thing we have implemented in our church is a Newsletter about our addictions group. It is meant to improve those relations between the addictions program and the mainstream church. We want the program to be available to anyone anyway - there should be no separation - but in reality there is going to be. We are dealing with humans, and all too often this is how we operate. We segregate ourselves from those who we think have "worse" sins than we have. We shouldn't - but sometimes we do it anyway.

Well, the newsletter contains testimonies of those who have been helped - and sometimes the more "mossy-backed" amongst us need to hear those fresh new testimonies of people having their lives drastically changed. It could bring a whole new perspective to the rest of your church.

Who knows, you could even get to write your own article for it, and voice a few of those concerns yourself.

12. spiersdodgerblue

The testimonies in the news letter I think, might be a good idea. And writing down my thoughts to my pastor and then editing them lol, will be more productive then fuming and at the very least I can know I have expressed myself clearly. And of course I must stay in prayer.
    I will bring the idea about the testimonies to CR's director.

Thank you bapmom