1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I have a sincere question about Calvinism - (please no fighting)...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Scarlett O., Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How many times are you going to call non-cals unsaved? I wish a moderator would stop this.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

http://www.barna.org/barna-update/article/5-barna-update/196-evangelism-is-most-effective-among-kids?q=salvation+age

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really do not see way this should be more of a problem for Calvinists than it is for you.

Jesus said in Matthew 7
    13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. (KJV)

It sure seems to me that Jesus is saying that most of the human race goes to hell. So, how can you have a kid not knowing if the child will be one of the many on the path to hell of one of the few that find life? Knowing this, would it not be better for the free-willer to adopt a child already living than to bring more into the world?

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...probably not.

May I suggest you try PMing one or two (or more) of the professed Calvinists?

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Correct. God just did for Pharaoh what he wanted done. He decided he wanted nothing to do with God or His people, so God gave him what he wanted!

6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If you think the word "hate" here is the same thing as we think of today, then Jesus violated His own word when he told His disciples to "hate their family."

Luk 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

God chose one to be the child of promise, not a child of faith. Just look at Jacob's life and the life of most of his children. Surely you don't think their lives were lives of faith. Also you don't think that anyone outside of Jacob's children couldn't have become one of God's children, do you?

#67 Robert Snow, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
  8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Did God send any prophets to Nineveh?

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I believe that narrow is the way and broad is the path to destruction. I believe that those who are saved will be in the minority.

Under Calvinism, as I understand it, most people are born doomed for hell without an opportunity for God's saving grace.

I see that most people will end up in hell, but not without being afforded an opportunity for salvation.

I am not trying to soften the blow of multitudes going to hell. Why does God create people knowing full well that some will never believe and end up in hell? Simple - that's His business.

I do not see, as a free-willer, the gift of God's saving grace being put into the hands of man by God loving the whole world and desiring that none should perish. God, in using His Holy Spirit to reveal Himself and his grace to people individually, does NOT give up His sovereignty nor His omniscience by affording them a decision to submit to the gift of His Lordship or to reject it.

I'll close here. After this many replies, I have not received an answer and my intent was not to challenge the nature of God nor to pound out the tenets of Calvinism, but to understand the decision-making of the Calvinist when it comes to bearing children.

I'll read if anyone else posts, but you don't have to.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I've read dozens of your postings and I'm not convinced you preach any Gospel at all. In fact, you are a breed to yourself.

The only reason your ridiculous statements are allowed to stand is because the administration here shows favoritism toward Calvinism. If they were fair minded, they would either edit many of your statements or they would allow a level playing field. You make the outlandish statements you do because you take advantage of the situation here, not because you somehow are more bold than those who disagree with you.

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    http://www.vor.org/truth/1689/1689bc00.html

God has in the bible chosen to work in and through covenant families who obey his word.
    Children are eternal souls who God allows for His purpose. God is sovereign in opening and closing the womb. We are commanded to be anxious for nothing.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What do you mean by "covenant families"?

13. slave 4 Christ

slave 4 Christ New Member

Sister,
    I have three children. No doubt I love them from the depths of my heart.

I also know that they are a gift from God. They are ultimately His.
    God has created them for His good pleasure.
    My children are God's to do with as He wills.
    And since this is true. I also rest in this truth. "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?"

Sis. Scarlett He is God. He will not do anything unjust. He will do right.
    The problem develops when we tell God what is right, even as it pertains to our children.

Therefore, I give to God what was never mine to give in the first place, my children.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Here is the gospel that I believe and "preach".

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth.....

Believe what?
    Believe this:
    1 Corinthians 15:3-4 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

.......in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

That is the gospel. Anything else is to be accursed.

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    14Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.

15And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

\

#75 Iconoclast, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
  16. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Actually, I would say leave it alone. I'm not seeing much benefit in you addressing them. You say they are terrific couples so why bring up an issue such as this, especially with you being in disagreement with them.

You are punished for your own sins.

Not at all. The reprobate is punished once and that's in eternity in hell for his own sins.

Again, the reprobate is punished for his own sins.

They are still punished for their sins. Understanding how everything was preordained, yet we still make choices is hard to understand. However, hell is a place for sinners of their own sins.
    No, punished for all eternity for sinning against a holy God.

It's not and it's not a Calvinist teaching. Calvinists do not teach that some will come to Christ, yet be rejected because they are not elect.
    Same thing either way. You can be the best parent in the world, yet your child rejects Christ. This isn't a really good argument.

No

John 10:11 ESV
    I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep​
    Acts 20:28
    Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. ​

In other words, all those chosen by God will come to Him - John 6:37, Romans 8:29-30

Mark 13:20; Ephesians 1:4-5, 2 Timothy 2:10, John 10:16, Romans 8:29-30

I'm not sure what you disagreed with here. Especially with the last sentence.​

17. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Finish the sentence of the gospel... :)

I Corinthians 15:3-5
    For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,*that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.

That was the evidence that Jesus had risen like being buried was evidence that he died.

Anyway, back to the discussion...

18. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Aaron, lets be careful with our wording. Those that disagree with reformed theology do not teach a different gospel.

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JB - see, here's the thing: you're a calvinist. Aaron is more of a hyper-calvinist. He may not be able to be careful with his wording, because he takes the same things you believe in to a further extreme.

20. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

You bring out though a good point in regards to the OP. There are different levels of Calvinism. I'm a very low Calvinist. Some are very hyper. I don't take things to the extreme, or at least I don't try to.

To the OP, when we are talking to one that is a Calvinist(like the 4 couples in the church) don't assume they believe the same as some article found in a paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.