1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I have changed my mind about Police

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Reynolds, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a retired police officer. Through the years I have always defended officers. I have always, unconditionally sided with them in their disputes against the public. In one encounter, my perspective has changed 180 degrees. I now fully understand why so many people now hate police. The rotten apples ruin it for the rest of them.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Police are just like everyone else. They follow the 10/80/10 rule.

10% are saints. They are honest, committed, knowing their job is to protect and serve the public, whom they work for.

10% are bottom feeders. Corrupt to the core. They will plant evidence, push people around, bully them, and make the rest look bad.

80% are in the middle. Not saints but not bottom feeders either. But every now and then they have a bad day and how they treat the public suffers from their bad attitude on that day.

But at least they are not lawyers. You know what they say about lawyers. "99% of lawyers make the other 1% look bad." :D

3. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the most part, I agree. I think the numbers are more like 25 50 25.

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That may be true if you include the officers who see a fellow officer do something wrong and refuse to confront him or even write a report about it. They are, in effect, enabling the corrupt officer to continue being corrupt.

And, unfortunately, due to qualified immunity even the courts have difficulty holding a bad officer accountable, and the unions are so powerful the city/county/state is almost unable to disciple a bad cop. Sending him home for a week with full pay is not discipline. It is a paid vacation!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My biggest problem lies more with corrupt agencies than with individual officers. The corrupt agencies seem to hire the worst of the worst for officers. "Protect and serve" is supposed to be the mission of L.E. officers and agencies. Generating revenue through writing meaningless (can't stand up in real court) tickets to keep the under funded agency functioning is not protecting or serving. They simply count on the fact that no one will spend the money to move the citations out of their Kangaroo courts and challenge them in higher Cours.

6. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do a few rotten apples ruin the Church?

While we can never really know, I would suggest that for every rotten police officer, there's hundreds, perhaps thousands of police officers who do, within their capacity, an honorable job.

Think what this country would be like without the police force: The Wild West.

The people responsible for trying to cast the Police in a bad light are usually people who themselves are criminal. "What d'ya mean you shot someone with a gun pointed at you? Are you insane?"

Romans 13
    King James Version (KJV)

1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

God bless.

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, first of all the "Wild West" was not all that wild.

And second, most police agencies are no longer dedicated to preserving the peace. Most have become revenue enhancement agents for local and state government.

I think the people, if left to themselves, would be able to protect themselves, their families, and their communities quite effectively.

Remember, I live in Texas. Where the men are men, a pansy is a flower, and all the women are above average. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few rotton apples do ruin individual churches. They also ruin the witness of the Universal Church in the lives of certain unbelievers with whom they have contact.

#8 Reynolds, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you take a look at the laws of the period, you'll find many of the towns out West had very strict gun control laws. In fact, the "Gunfight at the OK Corral" was about the Earps and Doc enforcing the gun law.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the official story. I lean more toward the Earps and Holliday were crooked and the show down was nothing more than an an organized assassination.

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I probably should have used the word "ostensively." In actuality, it was more like the Capones meeting up with the O'Banions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live in Polk County, Florida and our sheriff is Grady Judd. He is my kind of sheriff.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like a good guy.

14. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, seeing you live in Texas, I guess the idea of hanging men accused of horse theft without a trial might sound reasonable.

You are talking about America, aren't you?

Sez you. Maybe them cow punchers down your way are like that, but there is more than enough preservation of the peace going on here is the Capitol, Richmond.

Maybe you should check into what Police Officers are actually accomplishing before issuing the propaganda of anti-establishment nut cases.

You live in a fantasy world. Even with a Police Force many suffer due to the actions of criminals. So then, what say you Texas, that you would "take care of those kind of problems yourself?

And that is the point: man taking matters into his own hands, and thinking he is effecting Justice. The Wild West.

While not perfect, our Justice System could be much worse.

Funny, I don't recall a song called Texas Girls...

So, how is the crime rate down there these days? Better, or worse than it was in the past?

But those rotten apples do not ruin the Church, the Body of Christ.

That is the point.

A few rotten cops do not ruin the Police Force as a whole, and if you can show me a precinct that was ruined because of rotten cops, I'd be surprised. I don't think you can find one. When criminal cops are exposed they are expunged from the Force.

How does having "gun laws" equate to a society that is not plagued with criminal actions?

Did many of them also have "Rope Laws?"

God bless.

15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Can you tell me the last time you suffered because of the actions of a Police Officer?

Have you ever once considered that you might just still be alive because an Officer of the Law arrested a drunk driver that was headed down the same street you were on?

God bless.

16. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Figured I would post this again since no-one bothered to comment on it or the context it was used in.

For conscience sake...

;)

God bless.

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explains a lot about the op

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Illegal and unethical are not necessarily the same. Every time Georgia attempts to deal with these small, revenue generating, departments, a way is found to circumvent the new laws.

19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, what does that explain about me?
    The corruptness of the Earps is historically indisputable.

#19 Reynolds, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that has absolutely nothing to do with whether we can view our Police Officers as doing a job that is not only dangerous, but as seen in this thread...thankless.

When is the last time you suffered because of the actions of a Police Officer? What reason, right, or obligation do you have to vilify Police Officers as a whole?

I have had Police Officers beat me, and attempt to murder me, but that doesn't mean I disregard the good that many Officers do on a daily basis. Some of it very mundane, like arresting drug dealers, and drunk drivers, but, things that contribute to a safer society for you and I to live in.

And I will leave you guys to your slandering of people you have never met, and can in no way judge the hearts of. Have at it. This should be in the political section, if you ask me. And Moderators, before you waste your time...

...I already know no-one asked me.

;)

God bless.