1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I have teenagers!

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Gina B, Jan 19, 2009.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wait until your daughter starts talking about guys being "hot." Have to admit, I was totally not ready for that one.

BTW, a good book (and there are loads out there) is the Five Love Languages for Teenagers. We found this book very interesting & helpful.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, that is not allowed here at all. "Hot" is a sexual term in our area and I don't want my girls to see guys sexually until they're married. ;)

But I gotta say, the boy thing is interesting. Our 16 year old has a love interest right now and we really like the boy. They're both being great about not being able to date yet because they only know each other since November and DH and I, and the boy's parents want them to get to know each other better. We're also taking this time to test the boy. It's been fun. ;) We're being nice but not making it easy. He's stepped up above and beyond every step of the way. I'm ready to ask him to marry her but I guess they're not ready at 16. LOL But I like the boy.

3. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

I have experience with those latino boyfriends. Be careful :laugh: .

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yeah. Here's where we go back to that sitting down and pondering ourselves at that same age. :tonofbricks:

Okay, so I guess there's a difference in what I looked for at 16 vs what I'd look for if I cared to look:

At sixteen:

1. Hotness
    2. Cuteness
    3. Maleness

At 35:

1. Ability to carry heavy groceries without too much herniating
    2. Mechanical inclinations
    3. Knowledge that love, nice as it is, doesn't pay bills

Of course, my girls all have a healthy, balanced view of the male species and think looking at cuteness alone is dumb.

I WISH!!!!!

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I know the feeling

6. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Good luck on that one. Here "hot" is more of a cool way of saying cute than specifically sexual.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I meant the requirement *I* have at 35.
    If the GUY was 55, I would have the same requirements.

But he couldn't be over 58. That's my cut-off age. Has to be between 40 and 58, preferable about 45. Sounds like a nice number. If I was to date, that is, but I don't.

Just can't find a guy hot enough. JUST KIDDING! :tongue3:

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I really want to know is, does there come a time when they actually care to comb their hair and wear clothes that match? Sometimes I think my kids compete to see who can look more like Little Orphan Annie.

10. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

One of the biggest issues for us (and for many parents with teens) is the curfew. “How late can I stay out? Why so early?? You know that so and so doesn’t have to be home until 1 am?” And on and on and on it goes. Let me share our radical way of handling this issue: Our kids simply don’t have a standing curfew.

The problems with a curfew are many, but I’ll list two: (1) it creates a source of constant bickering and (2) teens usually stay out until the curfew time whether they need to or not. At our teens’ high school, they continuously bring up three important things about the school --

1. Christian school, without apology
    2. High academics, without excuses
    3. Responsible behavior, without coercion

Picking up on #3, we want our kids to learn to behave responsibly – not because we’re holding a baseball bat but because it’s simply the right thing to do. Responsible behavior is learned – it does not always (ever?) occur naturally. If they don’t learn it now, then when? And when they “fall down” (and they will), we want to be around to help as needed (which doesn’t necessarily mean we save them from the consequences of their mistakes).

With this approach, we put the responsibility of when they are going to be home back on to them. In a few years (a few months for one of mine), they will be at college & I won’t be standing by their dorm room making sure they get back in time. After all, my main concerns are: where they are, who they are with, what are they doing and are they safe? (Plus, how many of us drove like mad when we were teens just so we could walk in the front door by the appointed hour? In retrospect, how stupid was that!?) OK, OK, I do care when they are going to be home (personally I don’t go to bed until I hear that front door), but it’s not nearly as important as the other items.

When our teens go out (or more specifically ask to go out), they let us know the answers to the three key questions – where, who, and what. And they let us know what time they expect to be home. Obviously, it has to be within reasonable hour. “No set” curfew doesn’t mean they get to stay out all night.

In theory, it goes something like this --“Dad, can I go to the movies with Ana and Sheri? It starts at 8 and we want to go to Friday’s to eat afterwards. I should be home by 11:00.” Usually, they are home by 11 or they may call a few minutes before & let me know they are on the way. Occasionally, I get a call around 10:30. “Dad, the service is really slow so it may be closer to 11:30” or “Dad, we ran into a bunch of friends (with names listed) at Friday’s. Is it OK if we go back to Joe’s house (a boy from our church & school whose parents we trust implicitly) to hang for a while? I’ll be home before 12, OK?” Usually, we are ok with changes as long as we know the answers to the where, who, what questions, it’s a safe environment, and it’s not too late.

Of course, “not too late” can still be an issue – and the time has changed as our teens have gotten older. While this approach is not for everyone & it has its own set of issues, we have found that this has really worked for us. So far anyway.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Comes with a vengeance. Overnight too. Be prepared to buy extra brushes and put up extra mirrors.

12. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whew! I was starting to worry.