1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I know not everyone likes dance/performance in church but ....

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by annsni, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

A side note: When I was a student at Union University, Jackson, Tennessee in the late 1950s, the head of the Physical Education Department devised some inoccuous dances for the female students.

But dancing was forbidden, on or off campus. So she called them "rhythmic exercises."

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A similar story...

At my sister's SBC church, they have incredible Christmas and Easter pageants - with some of them depicting traditional Jewish dancing as in Biblical times. For years, they did not refer to these roles as "dancers." Instead, they called them "movemateers." A few years ago, they finally quit kidding themselves and now call them what they are -- dancers.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I'm right along with you. I just don't understand it. As a Child we went to a Presbyterian church and I had never heard music at church service ( had about two to four hours of music on Friday nights), I knew some churches had music in there services. When I went to college about a 1/3 of the Presbyterians churches around campus didn't have music in service but did have it on Friday or Saturday night. Then in seminary in Va. most of the Presbyterian churches had music but for the one I went to and maybe one or two more in town.

If I recall correctly in seminary we were taught that music was rather new in the christian church, maybe a hundred years give or take a little. There is a verse or two in the NT that has a reference to it.

Then I became a Baptist and let all that other go and we had two hymns and the invitational hymn, now most baptist churches that I'm in today have more music than teaching or preaching. Times do change.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh . . . David did NOT dance naked. Read the the text. He was girded with a linen ephod.

And you want us to think you can expound on the subject of dancing in church?

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Dancing can be a wonderful way of worshipping God.

I enjoyed the Youtube video in Annsni's post. :wavey:

#25 Alive in Christ, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Sigh . . . David did NOT dance naked. Read the the text. He was girded with a linen ephod.

And you want us to think you can expound on the subject of dancing in church?

Is your head so far up in a religious fog that you can't see this was intended as humor? If you will come down from your high horse you might be able to chuckle too.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am really old fashioned, I like the traditional hymns, so I was not too keen on the music.

However, the dancing was very respectful and moving. I enjoyed it.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Winman - I appreciate your stance and thank you for the kind words even though you weren't into the music. :)

The girls worked really hard and wanted to get the point of the camp across - "missions". The song was a great song for that - about the saints' hearts being broken for the unsaved. I think they did a wonderful job!

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well thank you Ann, I sincerely did enjoy that dance.

Psa 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
    5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

There are some here who say dance and instruments are not shown and therefore not allowed in the NT, but this verse was not the Law. I can only imagine this dancing was Eastern, very similar to what your daughter and friends were doing. As long as it is done with dignity and modesty, I do not see a problem with this at all.

Hey, we don't dance in church, but we sing some songs where we clap our hands, stomp our feet and wave our Bibles over our heads. I love it, it is very joyful.