1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I know

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Apr 7, 2012.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God
    --Job 19:25-26

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

By FAITH Job saw resurrection to come!!!!!!

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Somebody ought to set that verse to music. It would make a great hymn.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, bless your heart!! You are just so smart!!

:smilewinkgrin:

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Actually these verses already have been put to music.

In the 1740's, Handel put this passage to music in his oratorio Messiah. He made it an aria that normally is sung as the beginning of Part 3 which focuses on the resurrection. Usually it's performed right after his Hallelujah Chorus.

In the 1950's, the hymn "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth" appeared in hymnbooks. The text was by Jesse Pounds and the music was composed by James Fillmore.

I'm sure that there have been other adaptations as well.

What amazes me is that in this passage we have Job proclaiming his faith in the resurrection. The events in Job probably took place during the Patriarchal Period and is probably the oldest OT book. The resurrection was not very fully developed in the OT times, yet here we have Job declaring not only that his Redeemer lives, but that he himself would see God after he died!