1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Like the ESV at Romans 3:25

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Nov 10, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Usually I study, preach and teach from the NASB95, but at Romans 3:25, I favor the ESV's rendering of the Greek, for it captures the Greek text accurately:

1. NASB: "Whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith..."

2. ESV: "Whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith..."

3. HCSB: "God presented Him as a propitiation through faith in His blood, to demonstrate His righteousness" (Could have done better).

4. NLTse: "For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood" (This is quite good).

5. In the Greek text, we have dia pisteos, "through faith."

6. But I think the ESV has done a better job to make dia pisteos less ambiguous by rendering it to be received by faith, since dia pisteos is instrumental and should be considered parenthetical.

7. The ESV brings out the true nature of dia + the genitive better than the NASB at this point. The benefits of the propitiation through the shed blood of Jesus are to be received by faith.

#1 TCGreek, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is that part of the verse in the 1996 NLT --

For God sent Jesus to take the punishment for our sins and to satisfy God's anger against us . We are made right with God when we believe that Jesus shed his blood , sacrificing his life for us .

God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement , through the shedding of his blood -- to be received by faith . ( TNIV )

There is a footnote . It says : The Greek for sacrifice of atonement refers to the atonement cover on the ark of the covenant ( see Lev.16:15,16 ) .

In some of the older English versions it has mercy-seat .

I know the main point of your OP addressed the phrase "are to be received by faith" . The TNIV came close on that .

However , I wanted to mention something else about this verse . The TNIV has "presented" as do a number of translations . The transliterated Greek is 'proetheto' which means set forth or publicly displayed . I had put that as a note in my old NIV .

I also had a note about 'hilasterion' which means propitiation , or as the TNIV has it = sacrifice of atonement .

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Yes, I know there were some controversies as to how to render hilasterion, whether mercy seat, expiation or propitiation.

2. But I favor mercy seat at this point and rather that the reader explore what is behind the idea of mercy seat.

3. A faithful exploration of hilasterion would reveal the concepts of propititiation and expiation--so mercy seat is a tempered rendering in my opinion and a good one at that. :thumbs: