1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Lost a Sunday School Member This Week....

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests & Praise' started by Scarlett O., Aug 14, 2009.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I lost one of my Sunday School ladies this week ..... Mrs. M.

Over the past 12 years, I've lost many - to death, Alzheimer's, and the nursing home. Most of them were expected. I've come to grips with that over the years. They are in their 80's and 90's and I realize that this is all I can expect over the next several years.

But this one was NOT expected. Her daughter-in-law called me Monday evening and they had just found her 4 hours earlier. They found her in her bed, covered up from the Sunday night before. The coroner said that she simply took her last and peaceful breath.

Her children are devastated. The funeral was this morning and it was a blessing.

Mrs. M. sat beside me in Sunday School for 12 years. That empty seat that I'm going to have to look at this Sunday isn't going to be easy to take. This one hit me hard. But, she is with the LORD and she is with her husband.

Let me just tell you what I will always remember about her. I want everyone to KNOW this about her.

• She, at one time, was a brilliant Sunday School teacher. And in my class, she contributed greatly.
    • She was an encouager to all of the rest of the class with her steadfast daily Bible readings and daily prayer time that she talked about.
    • She had a burden for lost people and witnessed to many, even in her assisted living community.
    • She loved her daughter-in-law and son-in-law like they were her own children. She spoke of her family with laughter, joy, excitement, and love even when things may not have been just perfect. I know many women and men today who do not speak with love about their spouses and children.

Please listen to this: Last Sunday, the pastor had everyone who had a need in their life and wanted prayer to fill out a card and put in in the offering plate.

He told me (and he said this at the funeral today) that she filled out one of those cards.

You know what her "need" was? Her need?

She wrote on the card, "Pray for me. I want to be more like Jesus". And then she went home and died that very night.

I believe that she is more like Jesus that she ever will be ..... right now. Her prayer was answered.

I'm gonna miss her bad! She was not only a Sunday School member - but she was my friend. I don't impart wisdom in that class of 80 and 90 year old women. They are already wise.

My job is to keep the scriptures afresh and anew.

I merely keep the light turned on until God calls them home.

Pray for her family. And pray for me and for yourself that we become more like Jesus.

2. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing with us Mrs. M's testimony Scarlett O.!
    What a precious saint!
    I want to be more like Jesus!! This should be my life motto too!

3. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Amen

Thank you for sharing that.

4. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Wow.

I wish I could have known her.

5. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would like to have known her myself. My heart goes outto her family.
    Faithgirl

6. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

This was a blessing to read, Scarlett. Thank you.

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prayer of Encouragment

As a believer, my heart goes out for all involved in this loss of a Saint. I want to encourage those who were left behind to mourn and grieve the loss of this wonderful lady. I encourage you to move forward in the faith that God has called this Saint to her heavenly reward. No more suffering. No more indignity through the toll of this disease. Along with your sense of loss, may God fill you with a new found faith surrounded by years of wise teaching, and the love of Jesus as seen through her eyes.

Pastor Paul:type: