1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I love the KJV Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Boanerges, Nov 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Last warning. I will not let this degenerate into a crticism of the KJV or its adherents.

2. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I love the KJV!! I love the magesty of it. I grew up with it and it is the most familiar to me, since I have memorized large portions of the Bible in KJV.

Also, what would Christmas be without reading the Christmas story in the KJV? Couldn't have Christmas without it!

3. Orvie

Orvie New Member

The KJV is groovy [​IMG]

4. Acumenical

Acumenical Member

I too have a deep affection for the KJV, and many of the passages I've memorized are from it, although it is no longer my daily study Bible. In fact, I know of no Christian who doesn't at least have a healthy respect for the KJV. Its pervasive influence, not only on the lives of believers but also on the English language itself, cannot be disregarded.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I absolutely love the KJV (that is why I defend it so staunchly against KJVOism). The KJV is one of those translations that has withstood the test of time rather well, despite its dubious origins. I don't pretent to claim it's perfect, 100% accurate, or the sole holder of divine providence (for me to do so would not be scripturally supportable), but to deny its faithfulness and effectiveness as a translation is plain silly.

6. First and foremost, I love the King James Bible because it reveals Jesus Christ, my Lord and Saviour, inerrantly and infallibly to me, an English speaking person.

Second, I love the King James Bible because it is the first English Bible I ever read, at the age of eight when my grandmother gave me a copy of the New Testament. With it's majestic words on those pages, I knew it was the Word of God.

Third, I love the King James Bible because it is the book that was preached the day I got saved back in 1996.

Fourth, I love the King James Bible because God called me to the ministry through reading Ephesians 3:7 from it's pages.

Fifth, I love the King James Bible because God called me to the Republic of Benin, West Africa through my devotions in 2 Corinthians from it's pages.

Sixth, I love the King James Bible because God showed me who my future wife would be, through my devotions in Genesis 24 from it's pages. God fulfilled this in December of 2004 and we are expecting our first child this year.

Seventh, I love the King James Bible because there is no other English translation which I can truly say is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Nice testimony, PD, but I wanted to clarify that the verse "thy word is a lampp unto my feet..." is not referring to the issue of translations. Therefore, I don't think we should use it in such a reference, regardless of which translation is at issue.

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JohnV,
    Do you think you can still post your articles?
    Let the people judge you because you are telling other people not to trust KJV because it is the addition to the Bible, saying jack Chick is a liar. (You can be sued by Jack!)

Let's compare your words:
    JohnV:

You said here:
    I absolutely love the KJV (the 1769 edition). It's one of the first bibles I ever studied in depth. My love for the KJV is why I defend it so staunchly from the single-translation-onlyists who besmudge it by making it the center of their manmade doctrine .

Now you said at the other thread:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/28/3682/5.html#000062

If it is your belief that any "additions" must be avoided, then you must stay awy from the KJV . Why? Because the source texts of the KJV are more recent than the source texts of man of the so-called "modern versions". Therefore, following your logic, the KJV source texts added the verses in question .

John [attack snipped]

[ March 01, 2006, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calling someone a "liar" who posts here, Eliyahu, is not allowed.

Is there a thread I've missed? If someone said Jack Chick does not tell the truth, I'd sure want to post on it and give a hearty "AMEN".

Can someone say they LOVE a particular English translation without HATING other translation or HATING those who point out problems in it?

Amazing.

10. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob,
    If you carefully check the posts, I have never mentioned "Lie" or "Liar" but the other person said Jack Chick is a Liar, which may cause a problem if that person cannot prove it. Then I mentioned the same may return to that person unless he can prove it.

I proved the contradiction between 2 statements on 2 different threads. You can see the 2 different statements above.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The phrase I snipped called a brother here a liar, and that is not allowed.

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the start of saying Lie or Liar.

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/28/3682/5.html#000062

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same may apply to you, JohnV.
    _____________________________--

The other thread is the same as this thread.

Also, calling others outside as a liar need a caution too, unless anyone has a sound proof for the lies.

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Jack Chick doesn't stand a chance in suing someone for calling him a liar on this board. Several legal reasons come to mind. The first, he would have to prove that he is "not" a liar. Have you ever seen anyone do that?

The second is that he would have to prove malicious intent on the part of the person who wrote that he was a liar. This is quite difficult since an informative statement does not imply malicious intent whatsoever.

Third, he is a fairly well-known individual, which makes it harder to fight libel suits against individuals who are only known on a bulletin board and say their opinion about him. He would have a much better chance if he were not well known.

Jack Chick sue and make money from someone calling him a liar on this board? Not a chance.

(Of course you can ALWAYS sue for anything, but the judge would throw you right out the door--and possibly with sanctions.)

14. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the reason why Jack Chick doesn't sue anyone is not because they cannot win or they cannot do, but because they don't want to waste much time with such legal matters. But one should not abuse such situation as God knows everyone's heart and everyone will be judged at His Judgment Seat. I know so many people are bold to ignore such truth while they claim they serve God.

When someone claims that the other person is a liar, Onus Probandi lies on such person first.
    If any one is known to be a believer in Jesus, then apparently the Onus Probandi lies in the claimer. Otherwise, if someone condemns you as a liar, then do you have to prove that you are not a liar? I never think so.
    Anyway the word, Lie or Liar should be refrained from on this board, and that is why I challenged the person. We must remember that any words posted here will be judged by God on the Day of Judgment.

15. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought this thread was to praise the KJV, not talk about the distortions of Jack Chick or question another member about something he said on another thread.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It is sad to be forced to close a thread in praise of a Bible translation due to it going so off track it cannot be repaired :( .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.