1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I love you guys!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Aug 21, 2008.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

I don't know if it has ever really come out that I pray for y'all and have made many efforts to bring us all to "unity in the knowledge and faith of Christ," Eph 4:13. :godisgood:

I feel I must offer this post because I have been a "black or white" type of commentator and many find that insulting. I'm sorry. Maybe I don't understand your POV. I've been taught and believe a rather rigorous fundamentalism and there are certain "tags" on people that are like me.

Anyway, if I seem to be speaking from ignorance, please don't be offended.

skypair

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome back ( I think). I hope you have changed.You'll have to demonstrate that though.I do not think you speak from ignorance.You have been shown countless times how wrong you have been.You have been quite deliberate.You have not operated under a misunderstanding;or any other excuse you may try to offer.

Your "rigorous fundamentalism" is quite heterodox.Your particular views are in a class of its own.Your views are not standard orthodoxy.

Stop quoting Mr. Rogers so much.Stop bringing up Calvin/Calvinism in order to roll them in the mud.Are you able to hold your tongue?

So,its on you to show that you know the score.You have the freedom to disagree;but not to act like you have in the past.Do not fabricate.Do not act as if you are the Potentate of the BB.

If are able to handle that much,I'd be the first to extend you my right hand in friendship.

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

rip,

Does that mean, "Apology accepted?" :laugh:

So it seems it's you I must "mind my P's and Q's" for, eh? Duly noted, then.

Just for the record, your reply was offensive, personal, and unloving.

skypair

#3 skypair, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

All I have to say is...

[​IMG]

:laugh:

5. DrRandyGrace

DrRandyGrace New Member

I love you, too, man! :thumbs:

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:rolleyes:

Ed

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hey look Sky is back!!!

Welcome back sky. Popcorn is on me....eat all that you want. :)

8. skypair

skypair Active Member

Hey, James. :type:

I missed you, too. Got any RC Sproul -- er -- RC Cola?

skypair

9. Elk

Elk New Member

I've had a long absence myself

Just wanted to say, I might be viewed as a trouble maker or contraversal, but the reality is I just want to know God and His Holy Word. I am not really interested so much in siding with anyone but just want to know all the facets of God without denying Scripture or cut and paste and so forth...I am trying to view the WHOLE BIBLE as all in all, NOT just hand select what I want to.
    I think this is where I find myself batting heads with people, when they say this, and I ask what about this other Scripture here and how does that tie in with what you just said...so I guess that indeed makes me a trouble maker.
    But I just also want to say, I appreciate being here and do learn a lot.
    Thanks.

10. ReformedBaptist

Awesome brother. One thing I have learned is that understand the whole Bible falls under the subject of systematic theology.

GOd bless.
    RB

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

??

I thought understanding the Bible fell under the subject of the power of the Holy Spirit.

12. ReformedBaptist

Keep studying Amy.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Could you be more specific? I don't understand what systematic theology has to do with understanding the bible.

14. ReformedBaptist

Well, it is a matter of know what systematic theology is. My understanding of Systematic Theology is that it seeks to organize biblical theology as a whole. What was revealed to Abraham was different to what was revealed to David. The full revelation of God is found in the person of Christ. Systematic Theology seeks to the look at the whole revelation in a logical manner. Biblical theology seeks to follow the history of God's revelation through time. It can be said, then, that biblical theology draws a line while systematic theology draws a circle.

Neither are better than the other. Both seeks to be faithful to the text of Scripture.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ok. I did a little googling on the subject and I can see that it helps to organize biblical concepts to have a better understanding of scripture. However, I think one can depend too heavily on their system and actually not hear what the Holy Spirit is saying to us. I will do some more studying about this.

16. ReformedBaptist

That's a good caution to take. There is a great treasure in the labors of others whom the Holy Spirit had (and does) gives as gifted teachers to the Church. But this ought not to relieve us of our responsibility to study the Word of God ourselves. Nor should our responsibility and accountablility to the Word of God lead us to an unbiblical individualism and pride that we do not need teachers for our good.

17. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I think one can depend too heavily on their system and actually not hear what the Holy Spirit is saying to us"

True if you are following the wrong system but not if you are following the correct one :tongue3:

Crawling back under my rock :thumbs:

18. skypair

skypair Active Member

Amy -- you didn't just get married, did you???? Very pretty!! Ah, shucks!

OK, I was in this pilot prayer group. I offered that "systematic theology" was a Reform invention. In fact, I read that it was originally called "Reform Dogma" (BTW, DOGMA is a pretty strong term. It means "accept or you're wrong"). I was a little embarrassed to find out that other theologies liked the idea so much that they "codified" their own beliefs in a similar manner.

But I think your comment stands. It is MAN'S understanding of scripture and, I've found, not necessarily man guided by the Holy Spirit. "Be a Berean" is always an important caveat.

skypair

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Good to see you back Sky. No, I didn't get married. :tongue3: I've been married for almost 31 years. :eek: That is my son and daughter in-law. They got married 3 weeks ago. My baby is all growed up! :tear:

She is pretty though, isn't she? Of course my son is the most handsome man (don't tell my hubby) in the world!

As far as your comment about Sys. Theo., I think people (many on this board) rely too heavily on it. Teachers are good and the bible says that God has raised some up, but all things take second place to the power and teaching of the Holy Spirit. God wrote His word for the ordinary person, not just scholars.

#19 Amy.G, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  20. skypair

skypair Active Member

You are precious, too, Amy! So don't forget to notify us of the grandkids!!

We have a blessed "Kindred Spirit" on this, Amy. Hope my "mansion" is near to yours.

skypair