1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Need a Little Advice, please!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 19, 2008.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two weeks ago I put out a web site search for a part for my 99 Mustang. I received an offer from an auto broker [Mr. Sam Covington of Horn Lake, MS].

I paid him via my credit card, and never got the part. I than tried to call him [mail box full], and e-mail him, with no replies since he's got my money. I reported him to Autotix.com the web company that solicits the part for the web folks like me. They have not responded either.

My question is: what can I do to report this guy to someone for e-mail fraud?

If any of you have had the same experience, and brought the long arm of the law down on the crook, please share, as I'd like to see crooks like this be banished from the web forever and a day so as to not steal from someone else.

I only lost $44.00, but, living on a fixed income makes that small amount of money seem like a large bag of gold nuggets.

I'd appreciate any help, suggestions, etc.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

2. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Oh man! That stinks!

Did you tell your credit card company? I think they'd at least be able to tell you where to find some help. And some CC accounts have some fraud protection.

Hope everything works out for you.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When you get your credit card bill send the company a note in writing that you never received the part. Provide any documentation that will help. Legally when you pay your credit card bill you can withold the amount that is in dispute.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Do you know anyone in MS who can go pay him a visit??? :D

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Call your local police and see if they know where you can report him.

Do a web search for the guy and find all the info you can on him. If you can find a business or club he belongs to write him there so he knows you know something about him - might get a part :laugh:

6. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Horn Lake is practically in TN... and that's about 3 hours from me. Sorry you lost money, but I would do what the others have suggested and dispute the charge through your CC company.

7. Karen

Karen Active Member

Since you only began your search two weeks ago, I am wondering if there is no real problem here. It often has taken several weeks for me to get things I have ordered. Ebay is speedier, but a lot of places are not set up like that.
    What did it say in the fine print of your transaction about how long you could expect delivery to take? It is possible that he did send it and it is lost.
    I have ordered books online for years. Looking at the postage marks when they have arrived, some take two days and some take several weeks for being mailed at the same time. Some of it is out of the hands of the shipper. Of course, if you specified express mail, that is different.

It would have been preferable to not name the person you are having this dispute with.

I don't think I would go the route of sending a letter to the credit card company and withholding payment on my own. Tell the credit card company you are disputing the charge, and have them investigate it with the seller and credit your balance. Often you can dispute with a link on your credit card's site.

#7 Karen, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As others have said, dispute the charge with your credit card company and make sure they file a fraud report. You probably also need to close that credit account and open a new one since, in theory, this guy has your credit information. You may also with to file a police report with local law enforcement. I doubt they can do anything, but at least you will have something to show your credit card company and/or other companies if/when this guy steals your credit information (id theft). Bottom line: Talk to your bank and/or credit company, they should tell you what to do.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not know why you would suggest such a thing because I have done what I suggested a few times and in every case it worked. Whenever I got a credit card bill I called the credit card company and sent them a letter along with the bill stating what is in dispute and why. It was always resolved.

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I found this in the White Pages online:

Audrey D & Samuel Covington (home)
    6264 Lacy Cv
    Horn Lake, MS 38637-2467
    (662) 342-0663

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

File a complaint with the Attorney General. It usually works.

Also, call your credit card company and ask them how to file a non payment. The credit card company will check it out for you and eventually they will take it off your bill. Don't refuse to pay on your own for it will damage your credit and boost the interest you are paying now on the card.

BBob,

#11 Brother Bob, May 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2008
  12. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    fraud

I'd report them to the attorney general of your state and also to the better business bureau.

13. Karen

Karen Active Member

Two weeks since this transaction began still seems to me a little too short a time period to be concerned.

One thing that just occurred to me is that a broker may not have the part in his personal possession but may actually have located it for you from his supply sources. The part could be many miles away from his personal location. Therefore, it could take quite a while longer to reach you.
    The broker may not have been saying it was on a shelf in his spare bedroom, but that he was locating it for you.

As an example, I used to work for a magazine, processing subscriptions. The forms many years ago always said allow at least 6-12 weeks for the first issue. We were always answering the phone for people who just sent in the check two weeks ago and were distressed at not getting their first issue within several days.

Before we go posting this man's private address and phone number, and calling him a crook by name, are you SURE you understood the delivery terms?

#13 Karen, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  14. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

two weeks is a short time, but if he refuses to respond you probably have a problem. If any of the solicitation was done by mail including mailing a check you can report it to the postal inspectors office for mail fraud which they have always taken very seriously in my experience.

15. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I would not be as concerned about the mailing time (some places tell you 6-8 weeks for delivery) as I would about not being able to contact him...

16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank You. No I Am Blessed

Thanks for the info...now I can do something through the police in Horn Lake. At least I know that he may exist. I was wrong for calling him a crook, but, his disappearing act has really concerned me.

Therefore, I need to make this clear...I tried to contact this broker by e-mail and phone [all of which had no problems when I first started to work to close the sale. After he got the money, he refused to answer any e-mail or phone calls. This bothered me, because when I received the receipt for the transaction, he did not tell me of the handling arrangements, and I tried, unsuccessfully, to contact him, and he seemed to no longer exist. The e-mails were not answered. His two phone numbers were full [on the voice mail] and the company I used to find the part claim he is not on their list of brokers. I am grateful for all of the helpful responses, and I figured I needed to let you all know all of the details.

All of you folks have been so helpful...and caring. I appreciate this board more than any of you can ever imagine!

Even though there are some serious disagreements on this board, at times, it is moments like these that make me glad I fellowship here!!!

Pastor Paul :godisgood:

#16 righteousdude2, May 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2008