1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I need a translater

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I am presently reading a book called "The God Who Justifies" by James White. While I love Dr. White and have the utmost respect for his intellect and his knowledge of the Greek, he is a little over my head sometimes. I will give you an example.
    When dicussing a word in the greek he says this:

"............is an aortist active participle syntactically functioning as a circumstantial concessive;

Can anyone tell what in the world he is talking about?

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You would need to transliterate (sp) the word from the greek for me to be certain ... ;o

But, I would hazard a guess (blindly) that the word in question is translated as a "though" or something similar.

The intended use (of the Greek word in question) in the context of the Greek phrase is most likely to compare and contrast ... two separate and related thoughts (usually paragraphs in english).

For example, "I am going to church even though, I am sick."

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Why don't you find someone who speaks in "tongues" to translate it?

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

A circumstantatial participle is generally translated as a finite verb and concessive, I believe, is something like "even though". But if you give the exact verse, we could take a look at it.

5. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

:mad: He's trying to impress you with his "superior intellect". You know, you can't know scriptures without his help. I like to call it "Greek Speak". So, what interpretation did White get from all that, that nobody else can figure out without his help???

Ac 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

God don't care bout' no Greek speak. [​IMG]

6. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] funny. [​IMG]

7. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ps104,

Sometimes I think people use alot of big words like that to sound smart. In the process they confuse people and even theirself. It would have been nice to just state what the word means and how it is used in a simpler way. However, someone must read his stuff if he publishes books.

In Christ,

Brooks

8. superdave

superdave New Member

Ac 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

Have you ever read some of what those unlearned men said and wrote?

The amazing thing was that without any formal education they were able to expound deep theological thought. Your simplistic perspective bears no resemblance to the paradigm that could be reasonably construed as reality. And I am not just being pedantic here.

9. superdave

superdave New Member

Oh, and don't forget, they were fluent in the language of the original autographs, even modern greek and hebrew scholars can't claim that, and translation makes for obscurity and loss of specificity. You have to determine what the author meant before you can apply it.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

People for centuries figured it out without his help. in fact, the reason you have an English translation is because some peope learned "Greek Speak." Without their "superior intellect," you wouldn't know what God said. Aren't you glad that people don't take your advice? If they did, we wouldn't have God's word in our language. Then we would all have to learn "Greek Speak." Your own failure to learn what a circumstantial concessive" is doesn't mean it is useless. YOu see them all the time (if you read your Bible). You just haven't taken time to learn it.

Really7?? Then why did he inspire the NT to be written in Greek?

11. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly!

I think it is the word 'aorist' that is meant here. It means, IIRC, (and it's a long time ago since I studied Greek) an action in the past that is completed as a single action eg: "I went to work today" as opposed to "I went to work from Monday to Friday last week"

Yours in Christ

Matt

12. NateT

NateT Member

The active is the voice as opposed to the passive. It means that the subject was doing the action. Like "I went to work today" as opposed to "I was worked over today by a nasty customer."

13. Keith M

Keith M New Member

It certainly sounds like Greek to me!

14. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

The verse Mr White is referring to is Romans 1:21

21For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became (AO)futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

And I think that the aortist active participle syntactically functioning as a circumstantial concessive;

is "even though"

15. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

I still missed the great "White" truth that nobody could figure out in ENGLISH for the last 4oo+ years.

1Cor 1: 1Cor 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
    26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
    28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen , yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
    29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
    30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
    31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

We already got it in English. What need of thee have we???

Y'all think in Acts 2 they were all getting a Hebrew lesson on the plu-perfect watcha muh thingy condecending down to the ignint laity???

Nicholas(The Coquerer)

16. NateT

NateT Member

It's not that White figured out something that nobody else did for the last 400+ years. However, he's helping those people who are reading through the Greek. He has built an altar so that when his children ask him what those stones are for, he can tell them...