1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I need advice on a new support ministry

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Old Pioneer, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Old Pioneer

Old Pioneer New Member

I am brand new here so please forgive me if I'm going about this in the wrong manner. I have been praying for almost a year about beginning a new ministry. The idea is a result of events that my family and I have experienced over the past few years. First - the ministry objective and then my questions. The ministry would focus on providing support and direction for people that have endured life changing traumatic events. I would concentrate on dealing with the death of a loved one and eventually expand to include other areas of traumatic nature such as crippling disease/accident, personal abandonment, etc... When we traveled through our storm I found out that the best help and understanding that we received came from "outside" the circle of churches and pastors that we knew. I made many mistakes trying to cope with the situation both with my family and my church. I want to take what we learned and use it for the benefit of others who go through the same events. I have already developed extensive plans but I want to gather as much advice as possible before proceeding further. It would take several pages to go into detail so I'll just leave it at that for now. Here are my questions:
    1. Does anyone know of a church or ministry that provides this type of help and support?
    2. Please provide me with some of your thoughts as to such a ministry. I welcome both pros and cons about the idea.

Thanks for your input in advance. May God bless.

2. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Hello. I am deaf, and not really familiar with ministry for hearing people, but MOST churches should provide that kind of help if the pastor is truly trained to provide it. What you are aiming at is a much needed ministry because I know too many pastors that really are not equipped to counsel such cases and are too proud to pass them on to someone who IS equipped.
    I guess it would help to know what faith you are, and I do have friends, both SBC and Ind Baptists in Oklahoma.
    Naturally, if you can go through a local church or through an association of some kind or agency, it would do you good because of the accountability it would offer. Are you in church now? What kind? Does your pastor know about this? How does he feel?

tim