1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I need help!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Pastor_Bob, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every time I send a something to print from a microsoft application, my computer (Compaq EZ 2605) goes into sleep mode (the monitor goes black but the computer still runs). On occassion it will reboot by itself. I have to reboot manually to correct the situation. I have had no trouble printing from other applications (Printmaster).

I have reinstalled windows (98)
    I have unistalled and reinstalled my printer (Lexmark Z22)
    I have defragged

The problem, I think, occurred about the time I installed my digital camera software. I used the same USB port for my camera and my printer. It is on the keyboard and convenient. I have no idea if that caused the problem or not.

I've noticed other applications are running much slower now as well.

Any suggestions?

It is really frustrating. I have to prepare my messages and then email them to my son who can then print them out for me.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    right-click on "My Computer"; select "Properties"; select the tab that says "Device Manager"

If there's a conflict between your printer and your camera, it should show there.

How to fix the conflict? Well, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax....

3. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    No conflicts that I can see. I uninstalled my camera software weeks ago. This did not solve the problem.

Another bit of info: Every time I shut down my system, I get a window that says
    I have to end that task before windows will shut itself down.

4. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Bob -

Try going to

Start > Run

and type in msconfig and click "OK"

Go to the tab that says "start up" and maximize the window so you can see the path files. Anything that has to do with your camera software can be unchecked. You will need to start the program to do your camera uploads, but the software likely gave you a shortcut for that anyway.

Reboot and try printing a test page.

5. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clint,
    I couldn't see anything checked that goes with the camera. Like I said, I uninstalled it a while back.

There are several items checked in the Start Up tab. Is there a way to find out which ones actually need to be running in the background?

6. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

7. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Clint. I'll let you know tomorrow if this helped my printing problem.

8. Pastork

Pastork New Member

PastorBob,

Here is a good site that lists many of the things that typically run at startup or in the task manager and lets you know which ones may safley be turned off: http://www.answersthatwork.com/ (when you get to the site, just click on 'Libraries of Answers that Work', then click 'the task list' on the right side of the page). It will instruct you on how to bring up your 'task manager'(just right click on the task bar and choose 'task manager'). In addition to the startup items in msconfig, go through the list in your task manager and look up the various items in the Answers task list. You will probably find a number of things you can turn off, with an explanation for how to do it. The site also has a program called Startup Manager for download that allows you to turn these on and off a little easier than with msconfig. One example would be turning off the 'task monitor' item as they will no doubt suggest (which you don't need and which tends to be a resource hog). You may notice that just this adjustment will significantly increase your speed.

They also list some of the spyware/adware programs that often use up resources (like DSS Agent). To get rid of any such programs like these, it is probably best to download Ad-aware 6.0 or Spybot: Search & Destroy, either of which will safely and effectively annihilate most such pests.

Hope this provided a little more help.

Pastork

9. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    In unchecked all the unecessary start-up items. My computer runs much faster now but it stll crashed when I printed from Microsoft Excel.

When I went back to 'MSCONFIG' I noticed that two start-up items that I had unchecked were checked. they are:
    CountrySelection pctptt.exe
    PTSNOOP ptsnoop.exe

10. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Brother, it was a great help.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    from http://www.infopackets.com/computer+questions/internat.exe+and+ptsnoop.exe+in+my+msconfig+startup+part+2.htm
    from http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/ptsnoop.shtml
    And you might have a PCTel modem; check http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_p.htm for info on both files you mentioned.

12. Pastork

Pastork New Member