1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Need Some Information

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since there will most likely be no class options for me this summer I thought about taking one online class at a regionally accredited seminary. I am looking for a school that does not require full admission to take selected online courses (ie...non-degree). I wish to take courses for academic credit without having to enroll in the seminary and sign up for a degree program. The only school I am aware of that allows this is New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary but I am not sure they are offering anything online this summer. I know there must be other schools that allow this but I can't find them. I thought about taking a online course at Liberty, after all I did graduate from there, but I was told I had to reapply to the seminary just to take one course. Any suggestions?

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Faith Seminary - Salem

Hey, I like the looks of Faith Seminary - Salem (http://faithseminarysalem.com/distance_ed.html). Dr. Bill Grover (UZThD on this board) teaches there. However, they are TRACS accredited as opposed to RA. I think that they will allow you to do non-degree course by course. Give them a holler and find out.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Thanks I will look in to that. However I really need RA since I want to take a class that my current school/program might be willing to transfer in (though that is not required). I am looking at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School because they offer a class on the theology of Jonathan Edwards online which can be taken by "visiting students". I am waiting on a reply from TEDS but it looks like it will work. Once I get TEDS to verify I can take the course for academic credit I am going to start working the lines here at the University to see if my current program will allow me to (a) take the course and/or (b) take the course for credit in my MA/History program. It might just work since my major professor's academic area is 20th century American history and Church history.

If I can get this to work it would be great! It would cut my current program by one class and it would give me another church history course.

Pray for me that this will work out!

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most likely I will be taking the "Theology of Johnathan Edwards" from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School as a visiting student this summer. It will be for academic credit but my current program will not accept it. Thus I will use it in a future PhD program. Any class taken at another institution during the course of my program can only be considered for credit if (a) the dean of the history program and the head of admissions approved of the transfer during the admissions process, and (b) the course is taken on-campus. Distance education courses, no matter from what school or how good, are not accepted in these cases. They don't have a problem with distance learning (they offer some degrees online) or accepting distance learning credits but they will not approve a distance learning course at another institution in this kind of credit transfer situation (ie...already enrolled in their MA program, etc). Even so if I can dig up the money, and something else does not come up, I am planning on taking this class this summer.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

What about Liberty? Are they cheaper than TEDS? I like TEDS though.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes, Liberty is much cheaper than TEDS. However Liberty would require me to go through the whole application process again (even though I already have a seminary degree from them). I don't want to go through all of that just to take one class. New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, and Moody Bible Institute allow visiting students to just take one graduate course without applying to the school.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just an update:

(Sadly?) I will probably not be taking a class from any of these schools this summer. I talked with my academic advisor this morning and he wants me to get started on my major research project this summer (even though I will not "offically" register for that until my last semester). So I have to pick a topic and find a professor willing to work with me on it. My graduate academic advisor will not be my advisor on this project because his area is 20th century American history and church history and I will be focusing on 17th century (1600s) colonial American history and church history. I need to find a topic and professor now. That should not be hard though.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, at least you get to save a little bit of money!

9. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Do you think you'll write about King Phillip's War? I noticed from your blog that that is an interest of yours. I live in the area where it all happened, but don't know much about the conflict. Your blog inspired me to order an historical fiction account of the war, Until I Have No Country by Michael Tougias. Lord bless your research efforts.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1888768029/?tag=baptis04-20

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==King Philips War is one of two topics that I am looking at right now. The other has to do with Puritans in America during that time period (17th century). I have not worked out the details of any topic as of yet and will not be able to do so until I get a professor to work with me on it. Clearly that professor will have some say in what topic I choose so that will just depend. I am considering two professors at this time and I start the process of contacting them in the next week or two.

I am really excited about this project because it looks like I will have around one year to work on it. The university history department requires primary sources to be used in this project and almost near perfection in research. So I will have to spend a long time simply reading/studying the topic and building a solid library on it. So I should certainly learn a lot about whatever topic I settle on.

King Philips War is certainly one of my favorite early American history topics. I love studying the details of the various conflicts and the people who were involved.

==I'm glad to see that my blog inspired someone :laugh: . I have heard of that book but I have never read it myself. Maybe I will get around to reading it as well over the next few months. Thanks!!

11. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Bro. Martin,

I may be wrong but I believe that you can take some online courses at SEBTS. The ones I've taken online were good. You probably already looked into that but I thought it was worth mentioning. They offer Greek and Hebrew online as well. It may be worth a look. I don't know all the specifics though.. Good luck and God bless.